Simple phone installation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350
Simple phone installation

Hello all,

I am sure this has been covered somewhere, but I have been reading many posts and have yet to find the answer. I have the Command APS system with the small cover plate in the console. I found a device made by Mercedes on Ebay which says that you can simply insert a sim card directly into this device and it will integrate into the car system, effectively acting as an independent phone. It is listed as:

Mercedes-Benz SAP V2 Bluetooth Cradle

Although listed as a bluetooth device, I don't need that function, but my questions are:

Does the device attach to the fitting underneath the cover plate in my console? Will I be able to control the phone fuctions through the steering wheel buttons? Will I need to have my Command APS system re-programmed by a dealer to recognize the device? The car is a 2006 German version E350, and I will be using a Spanish sim card in the device. Thanking you in advance for any info...
Old 07-12-2011, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Since you have a Euro car with the UHI connector and are going to use the car in Europe, the SAP V2 device is fine for you. If you do not need the BT feature, just plug the SIM card to the V2 adapter, slide the adapter to the UHI connector (remove the plastic cap on top of the connector first if still present) and start making calls. Nothing needs to be coded or programmed.

If you at some point decide to try the BT feature, just remove the SIM card and pair your phone with the adapter (follow accurately instructions from the adapter manual, it isn't actually straightforward). Note that for BT you need a phone that supports the BT SAP profile, almost all Nokias do, some Siemens phones too if you can find one, late RIM models too (previously RIM phones only worked with the V3 SAP adapter) but there are other brands too that support SAP. You may also need to select "remote SIM", i.e. BT SAP support from your phone, otherwise the phone may expect BT HF profile operation.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350
That is exactly what I needed to know. I will consider integrating my Motorola cell phone in the future, but my main objective is to have a phone in the car for emergency use. I will order the adapter. Many thanks.