E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

OEM bi-xenon right low beam headlight not working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 VW Golf TDI
OEM bi-xenon right low beam headlight not working

Today I had my 2008 E320 Bluetec in a shop where the guy put a protective film on the headlights (similar to laminex transparent film). After I left the shop my low beam right indicator came up on the instrument cluster display. When I came home I installed a brand new Phillips Xenstart (same as OEM) bulbs for both sides as I wanted to replace bulbs anyway. However, even after replacing the bulb the right side is still not working. I swaped the new bulb with the old one from left side and still no luck. Fuses seems to be fine in the fuse box in the engine compartment (driver's side). I read somewhere here that sometimes it's the leveler. How can I reset or check or replace the leveler? Do I need to go to the dealer or there is another option?

I just got the car like a month ago and no nothing about it. Other than it's 130000 km on the odometer.

Thx, MF
Old 08-15-2011, 10:11 AM

2003 VW Golf TDI
Update: the car was not driven on Sunday... I was about to order a replacement balast... until on Monday morning I figured the light is working... Could it be a moisture/heat issue triggered by installing protective film (headlights, fog lights, hood and fenders) as the guy used a steamer to "curve" the film on the hood and on the light on the front part of the fender? and then the moisture evaporated over the weekend?

Should I be concerned now that the light is working? do i need to check for the computer code(s)?

Thx.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:04 AM

MB E320 Avantgarde 2002
Someone I know had this happen. They took it to a garage they knew and trusted, who reported the lamp OK, but behind the lamp unit is the ignighter module, which could go (£££), and was OK. Behind that is the control module, which had failed, replacement cost 450 GBP, double that at MB dealer. They ordered the part from MB, who first got it wrong, then eventually sent the correct module, 2 months total.

All these are easy to do as they have input connections. MB charge £55 just to look at your car when even when you know the problem.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:33 PM

2003 VW Golf TDI
Yes, in my case it was the control module as well. I got it from China for $200. It works fine except it takes it longer to adjust the height: when you start the car the light goes down, then up. The OEM light does it much faster than the new one from China ;-)