Windows fogging up when driving in rain/humid weather without A/C

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E240, 2003
Windows fogging up when driving in rain/humid weather without A/C

Hi!

I have a question regarding condensation in the W211. Reason for asking is because I have not experienced this with any other car that I have owned (this is my first Mercedes).

I prefer not to use the A/C all the time, so when its under 65 degrees outside I usually turn the A/C off. Problem arises when I drive thru rain or when I come across humid weather. Then the windows get fogged up VERY quickly. And I have to turn on the A/C to get rid of it.

I have changed the cabin filter, checked that I have no leakage, water gets drained the way its supposed to and no leakage from the heatercore.

My other car, an Audi A5, doesn't behave like this and doesn't get fogged up in rainy weather. Does anyone know if Mercedes are more sensitive than other cars to humid weather and windows fogging up? Or could there be something wrong with my car?

Grateful for any replies
/joakim
Old 08-17-2011, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 mb e350-,2019 glc amg43
My audi a6 does it all the time!!
Old 08-17-2011, 09:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 ML320CDI
The MB system uses partial recirculated and partly fresh air when in auto mode. I leave mine on auto all the time, except in winter, when I have to direct air to floor, otherwise the trickle of air through defrosters causes the snow to stick on windshield when driving
Old 08-17-2011, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Almost every car will fog up when its raining and the a/c compressor is switched off. (That was the problem with all defrosters in the 60s when many cars did not have a/c in them... they blew air onto the windshield but it was very very slow to partially clear, which left many drivers to wipe the glass with their hands in frustration. That is why in modern aircon'd cars whenever you press Defrost, the a/c compressor is always engaged... whether its indicated or not, unless its several degrees below freezing outside)

Leave your a/c compressor on & adjust the temp to your prefered temperature. You're not saving anything much at all by turning it off.