E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2004 E500 Wagon "Brake-Service Brake, Visit Workshop"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E 500
2004 E500 Wagon "Brake-Service Brake, Visit Workshop"

Have read several posts regarding the "Brake-Service Brake, Visit Workshop" message. In my case the message appears intermittenly in the standard "color", not red, however the brakes work fine. I have had minor concern over what I think may be a pump associated with the brake system that seems to be "loud". I can deal with an occasional message but question whether or not I should have the SBC unit looked at?

I have also had issues with the battery protection function cutting off convenience functions and just replaced the main battery for a 2nd time in six months, and the aux battery for the first time. I believe the first battery issue was a result of the air matic suspension system that had a leak causing the pump to run too frequently. Could this be a similar case with the brake system pump???
Old 08-21-2011, 12:02 AM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 S550 4matic
that, to me screams SBC and given that you have an 04 I'd definitely have it checked. I believe there's a 10yr/Unlimited mile warranty on them.

the battery issue is not the batteries itself but the controller unit, if you havent had that done yet I'd suggest you do.