E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

WTF DOES THIS MEAN????????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 06:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 GLC43 'AMG'
Yes, yes, yes... We can see the picture, and we all understand that the batteries in your car has easily accessible caps, and that you can add water, etc.

The point of my subsequent post was to ensure that future readers of this thread are aware that not all batteries are necessarily exactly the same. The rear battery in my car is designed to discourage getting access to the caps, because they're completely covered with decals.

These threads serve as a reference for many thousands of readers. It's useful to provide counter examples so that others won't be confused in case they run into the alternate situations.

It's great that you were able to sort out your battery with nothing but water. Hopefully you'll get another couple of years life out of them.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:04 PM

2003 E500 Sport
Impossible. No Mercedes has batteries that need a refill with Water! I call shenanigans, better yet, it's photoshopped. OP is a liar.

:facepalm:
Old 10-27-2011, 04:58 PM

2004 E320
Aux Battery

I found the aux battery in the engine compartment to be very low on water. In fact it took a total 1.5 cups of distilled H2O to bring all six cells to their proper level. NOW the question is should I put a charger on it or let the alternator do its job? I haven't had any messages warning me of any concerns. I have a deep cycle charger left over from my boating days.
My main battery in the trunk has a label indicating: VRLA Battery Do Not Open. There are six caps on top but a butter knife will not open them. I'm sure it takes a special tool to get them open. According to all of the labels on top the battery was made in Germany. I'm sure that it needs H2O if I can determine how to open it. Any ideas????
Old 10-28-2011, 10:07 AM

Depends on the day...
Originally Posted by tarheel76
I found the aux battery in the engine compartment to be very low on water. In fact it took a total 1.5 cups of distilled H2O to bring all six cells to their proper level. NOW the question is should I put a charger on it or let the alternator do its job? I haven't had any messages warning me of any concerns. I have a deep cycle charger left over from my boating days.
Yes, put the charger on it. As for the other battery, go to your local auto store and they can check it for you.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:35 AM

2005 E55 AMG
"Impossible. No Mercedes has batteries that need a refill with Water! I call shenanigans, better yet, it's photoshopped. OP is a liar." LOOL

"found the aux battery in the engine compartment to be very low on water. In fact it took a total 1.5 cups of distilled H2O to bring all six cells to their proper level. NOW the question is should I put a charger on it or let the alternator do its job? I haven't had any messages warning me of any concerns. I have a deep cycle charger left over from my boating days.
My main battery in the trunk has a label indicating: VRLA Battery Do Not Open. There are six caps on top but a butter knife will not open them. I'm sure it takes a special tool to get them open. According to all of the labels on top the battery was made in Germany. I'm sure that it needs H2O if I can determine how to open it. Any ideas????"

Yes charge it out of the car in case any water boils over. If a butter knife will not work then you need a really wide phillips head. They unscrew pretty easily if you look at my photo. No need to go to your local autostore.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Attached a document talking about different batteries on a W211. I have never seen a wet battery on a W211 but according to the document some models have it from the factory. It was not clear from the document but I would assume the two go in pair, if the big one is AGM, the small one is too.

One can find "caps" from VLRA/AGM batteries too but those are not supposed to be opened.
Attached Files
Old 10-28-2011, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Volvo XC70; 2012 GLK 350 4matic
Cool

Originally Posted by JeffyPooh

The last time I added water to a car battery would have been in the 1970s.
Amen! Probably in my 1969 VW Beetle. My golf cart does require water in the batteries.

Wayne
Lisa's new GLK350 soon if she lets me in East Texas.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
My 2003 E500 came with a AGM battery. I did a LOT of research and found that Carquest had an identical replacement battery for about $200+ last year. It is also AGM type battery.

Perhaps there are newer models that have conventional batterys because in my search Autozone carries a battery that will work but it is also a lead/acid type battery.

The only real concern of lead acid vs AGM is in the trunk venting of hydrogen gas. Of course everyone hooks up the vent lines that vent out of the trunk so that won't be an issue.

The other issue with Lead Acid is leaking H2SO4 in the trunk and eating a hole in the floor of the trunk. My corvette had a similar problem with the OEM Delco leaking acid on the frame and PCM. It now has Optima.

My E500 also has AGM because I don't want the expense of finding a nice hole in the floor of the trunk.

So yes there are some MB's running around with lead / acid in the trunk and they do work.

So each person has to decide what you prefer in Your trunk.

UMMMM

"What's In Your Trunk"..
Old 10-28-2011, 03:06 PM

2004 E320
My main battery has a MB logo made in Germany label along with an MB # A 005 541 0901. In addition to the "VRLA - Battery Do Not Open" label it also reads: NONSPILLABLE. What looks like caps are 6 - 1" diameter designs that look like a wheel with a hub and spokes. They appear to be stamped into the top of the case and not screwed in as many cell caps that I've have seen. All indications are that this is a sealed battery and never meant to be opened.
I removed the top cap from my aux before I connected the charger knowing that it might/could bubble over.
I found that my local Batteries Plus has the aux battery and AutoZone carries the main battery. FYI, their battery has an excellent rating and keep in mind there are three main manufacturers of all 12v batteries in the USA. Mucho thanks for Y'alls comments.

tarheel76
Old 10-28-2011, 07:22 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Diesel thanks for the pdf, good info their. My engine is definitely the 113 since I posted this in the amg section.

What is the difference between agm type and wet cell type?

Vettdvr:
No one just "hooks up vents to their batteries", that's how they come from the factory if you have that type of battery like mine does. Also I would not compare an ac delco battery to this MB spanish private labeled battery. AC delco is junk. The MB factory battery is much higher quality and will not leak and burn a hole in your trunk.

Tarheel post a pic of your battery. Do you have an amg? Because that's what I am talking about.

Here is another pic of my battery and the removable cell caps. They unscrew like a bolt not pop out by prying. MB # n 000 000 002 697

Old 10-29-2011, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by GRAFH

What is the difference between agm type and wet cell type?
http://www.filefactory.com/file/cfa5...tery_types.rar

Attached an SDMedia video explaining the difference between wet and AGM batteries. Unfortunately the file is too big to be uploaded to the forum, this is a file sharing link (password: MBWorld). If you cannot understand German, the subtitles are included in English but I don't know how to play those with an ordinary video player. Sorry but I did not want to use youtube or something like that because of copyright issues.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Volvo XC70; 2012 GLK 350 4matic
Absorbed Glass Mat batteries have no free liquid in them and are sealed. I use them on my boat. They can be inverted without spilling anything.
More than you wanted to know about batteries:

http://www.batterystuff.com/tutorial_battery.html

AGM: The Absorbed Glass Matt construction allows the electrolyte to be suspended in close proximity with the plates active material. In theory, this enhances both the discharge and recharge efficiency. Common manufacturer applications include high performance engine starting, power sports, deep cycle, solar and storage battery. The larger AGM batteries we sell are typically good deep cycle batteries and they deliver their best life performance if recharged before allowed to drop below the 50% discharge rate. The Scorpion motorcycle batteries we carry are a nice upgrade from your stock flooded battery, and the Odyssey branded batteries are fantastic for holding their static charge over long periods of non use. When Deep Cycle AGM batteries are discharged to a rate of no less than 60% the cycle life will be 300 plus cycles.
Wayne

Last edited by venchka; 10-31-2011 at 08:42 AM.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by GRAFH
Vettdvr:
No one just "hooks up vents to their batteries", that's how they come from the factory if you have that type of battery like mine does. ]

They (vent lines) may come from the factory hooked up but when you buy one and install it yourself it is a good idea to pull the little plugs from each end of the battery as required and plug in the vent line. The replacement battery doesn't come connected to the car.

Sorry you think Delco is junk compared to MB, I respect your opinon. I no longer use Delco due to haveing ONE leak, When present information I try to present only the engineering data not my opinions.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:43 AM

w211 200cdi
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
Attached a document talking about different batteries on a W211. I have never seen a wet battery on a W211 but according to the document some models have it from the factory. It was not clear from the document but I would assume the two go in pair, if the big one is AGM, the small one is too.

One can find "caps" from VLRA/AGM batteries too but those are not supposed to be opened.
Greetings from Finland!
Car: W211 200cdi Avantgarde 2007
I started to replace the battery, and it was revealed that the car is original wet battery! Not agm battery
Battery type: Varta 100Ah 760A A0045414501

Can it really be possible that this car is equipped with this battery??
No one seems to think around here..
Has anyone else been revealed that the car has this kind of battery?

sorry my bad english
Old 11-26-2014, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Make 78 you can run either type of battery but the AGM came in my car new. I have seen both used successfully.