E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Noisy on smooth roads.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 12:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500
Noisy on smooth roads.

Got a pretty strange question, recently I started noticing a minor "rung" type of noise when traveling over smooth roads. Now it's become noticeably louder, and I'm not sure if it's the tires or something else.

It's just an annoying "ruuuuung" that's gotten louder and louder, and I can't seem to figure out what the problem is. I want to replace the tires, but it seems like a waste considering there's maybe 50-60% tread left of even wear.

I currently run a set of Falken ZIEX ZE-912 245/45/17 tires on a 2003 E500 sport.

At times I feel like the noise is coming from the front driver side generally towards the wheel. However, at times it feels like its coming from the front of the engine. I've checked the symptoms when the ball joint goes bad, but it's not a squeak over bumps. The noise generally occurs or becomes noticeable traveling on smooth tarmac at around 50mph+ around 2k-3.5k rpm until it becomes less noticeable.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 E350 2013 Tahoe 2007 Mustang GT Conv.
More than likely, it's the tires that are making the increasing noise you are hearing. Before I bought the E350 I now have, I owned an Lexus GS350 that came with Yoko Advan's from the factory. I had to replace all 4 tires before 10k miles on them because the noise was so unbearable. My wife would not ride in the car unless it was absolutely necessary it was that bad. After reading some reviews of the tire you currently have, the consensous is that the tires are wearing out way too fast. And tire noise will get louder as the tread wears more and more.