advice needed.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 e 320 sport RWD
advice needed.

03 E320 RWD

my car is squeeking front left side when i hit bumps even small ones.

naturally i thought it was the shock since when i pushed on it when the car was off i could duplicate the sound but, ive had past experiences with airmatic

because i replaced the other front right one and that was a totally different case, no sqeeking just air leaking.

now within the last 2 months ive replaced both front lower control arms both front hub assemblys i recently started getting the notorious warning visit workshop message with pic of car with arrow pointing up

my question to you guys is

could it be something else or is it definetally the shock just a different part of it is sqeeking loudly instead of a quiet air leak?
Old 10-25-2011, 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
ball joints and air leak?
Old 10-25-2011, 01:01 PM

2003 e 320 sport RWD
Originally Posted by vettdvr
Very possible, thanks

Could I check to make sure thats what it is by myself without a lift?
Old 10-25-2011, 01:27 PM

2003 e 320 sport RWD
Originally Posted by vettdvr
Bushing?
Old 10-25-2011, 10:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 E350
There seem to be several threads about squeaks in the front end going over bumps. My problem turned out to be lower ball joints, which seems to be pretty common. You can find some very good diy threads on this site. I am not recommending you do this, but I found it by injecting grease in the boot with a grease gun needle. The squeak went away temporarily (It was, after all, worn out.) but it identified the source without question and bought me enough time to figure out how to replace them. That said, someone else had a squeak and it turned out to be deteriorated bushings on the sway bar. Try to make sure what is causing the squeak before you start replacing components to find it by trial and error. I have done that. Expensive and frustrating.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:24 AM

2003 e 320 sport RWD
Originally Posted by royflip
There seem to be several threads about squeaks in the front end going over bumps. My problem turned out to be lower ball joints, which seems to be pretty common. You can find some very good diy threads on this site. I am not recommending you do this, but I found it by injecting grease in the boot with a grease gun needle. The squeak went away temporarily (It was, after all, worn out.) but it identified the source without question and bought me enough time to figure out how to replace them. That said, someone else had a squeak and it turned out to be deteriorated bushings on the sway bar. Try to make sure what is causing the squeak before you start replacing components to find it by trial and error. I have done that. Expensive and frustrating.
yes! i really think its the bushings because 2 months ago i got a new control arms through ext warranty and im pretty sure it included the ball joints

my issue now is 100 deductible isnt worth it for me to get a bushing replaced id rather buy the part and do it myself.

do you know if diy bushing replacement is difficult? i am not very experienced with cars but im not stupid either
Old 10-27-2011, 09:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 E350
Control arm ball joint

The control arm is connected to the steering knuckle with a ball joint. That is different from the lower ball joint, which is also referred to as the supporting joint. Your squeak is more likely in that ball joint. Pull the wheel and take a look. The control arm ball joint is pointed down, nut underneath. The ball joint (supporting joint) is pointed up, nut on top. They are two different fittings.
Sway bar bushings appear to be pretty involved. It looks like you pretty much have to drop the entire front end, I haven't done that job...yet. But I would do a lot of research before attempting. I don't know if they have to be pressed on at a machine shop or not. Anybody else done this?