E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Replaced rear brake pads yesterday

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 11:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
SL500
Replaced rear brake pads yesterday

My wife's 2008 E350 Sport had the "Wear" indicator come on. The car has 34k miles on it. I bought front and rear pads. A couple of thoughts / insights:
- The front pads ended up being fine. Had about 60% life left.
- The rear pads were pretty much shot
- There are 2 bolts on each side accessible from the rear of each calipur, protected by rubber boots. I mention this in that I didn't know the boots are removable and tend to get in the way of seating the Torx bit.
- Each bolt is requires a Torx 40 driver to remove. The bolts require a bit of muscle or a small extension bar to break free.
- There is only 1 wear sensor on the front axle (passenger side)
- There is only 1 wear sensor on the rear axle (passenger side)
- I normally apply a brake specific lubricant on the backs of the pads to prevent squeaking. This time I used a solution called "CRC Disc Brake Quiet" that sprayed on the back side of all pads. We'll see....
- All in, probably about 1 1/2 hours to do the rears, including jacking up each side, taking the wheels off, spraying the pads, connecting the sensor, etc.
- To disable the SRS, I rolled down the driver's side window, got both key fobs, locked the car and put the keys in the seat.
- I had to press the brake pedal a few times after installing the new pads to set everthing. No error messages.

All in all, a project that's easily doable with just a few tools.
Hope this helps.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 E550
I believe there should be 2 pad sensors in the front. One on each side.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 Eclass, 03 BMW 06 Porsche Cayman S, 03 Harley Davidson "bored & stroked"
My original rears lasted 37K miles and the frnts went 50K, i just hit 80K and the rears are almost due for a change again...
Old 10-31-2011, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Depending on year some have 2 on the front, (my 2003 does) and only one rear. It is possible to have only 1 F and 1 R.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
SL500
I saw conflicting information regarding the number of sensors on the forums, that's why I posted (maybe I'm adding more confusion!).
My front pads came with two different sensors in the box (different shapes and colors) that were supposed to be used on the passenger and drivers side. The drivers side was supposed to take the "odd" white sensor. When I pulled the wheel / checked the brakes, I saw no sensor attached on that side. Same with the driver side rear. I used the same type of sensor for both the front and rear passenger side.
Again, I have a 2008 E350 w/ Sport package. Your car may be different.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E-320 Bluetec
Rear pads on '07 Bluetec

I changed the rear pads and rotors today on my Bluetec. Akebono pads,ATE premium rotors, and a Raybestos wear sensor. Tools I had to have were an 18mm socket, t-40 torx 3/8" socket, t-30 torx bit for the screws that hold the rotors on, and a big c clamp to push the pads back in, and a big cheater pipe. Took me about 3 hours, but that was with lots of interruptions and one pretty stuck rotor. I had 76K on these original brakes, so pretty pleased with their longevity. I had about half a hair till the wear sensor would have touched, I'm waiting a while on the fronts, they look like they have a little more pad on them.