E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Need help with tire purchase for 2003 E320 Sedan, please!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 09:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E320
Need help with tire purchase for 2003 E320 Sedan, please!

I am about to replace my tires for the first time (27,000 miles, minor cracking, and a slow leak in the right front tire.) I am still running my original Michelin MXV4's (which they don't make any more)--original size 225-55R16 H speed rating.

I like Michelin as a brand. I have ordered the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus. I am scheduled to have them installed at a local tire dealer tomorrow morning. I chose the tires because they seem to have great reviews, and I like the look of them (very sporty!), and they're made in the USA. I am definitely a lady out of her element here, and I'm wondering if I might be making a mistake putting a ultra high performance sporty tire on a regular E320 sedan model.

I live at the beach in California, so I never see snow. I mostly exist in a 55 to 70 degree flat world. I mostly drive in local beach traffic, and it's a rare day that I see 70 mph when I hit the mall in Orange County. My dealer recommended the Michelin Pilot HX MXM4, but the reviews aren't very good. The other tire that seems to be recommended for my car is the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S, but it's made in Mexico and I can't seem to get past that.

I want a tire that is comfortable, quiet, handles well, stops when I need to stop, and isn't squirrely on a rare rainy day. I prefer Michelin. I prefer made in the USA. And I love the sporty look of the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus. Am I making a mistake????? Any advice would be appreciated!
Old 11-01-2011, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by rickyfanmdr
I am about to replace my tires for the first time (27,000 miles, minor cracking, and a slow leak in the right front tire.) I am still running my original Michelin MXV4's (which they don't make any more)--original size 225-55R16 H speed rating.

I like Michelin as a brand. I have ordered the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus. I am scheduled to have them installed at a local tire dealer tomorrow morning. I chose the tires because they seem to have great reviews, and I like the look of them (very sporty!), and they're made in the USA. I am definitely a lady out of her element here, and I'm wondering if I might be making a mistake putting a ultra high performance sporty tire on a regular E320 sedan model.

I live at the beach in California, so I never see snow. I mostly exist in a 55 to 70 degree flat world. I mostly drive in local beach traffic, and it's a rare day that I see 70 mph when I hit the mall in Orange County. My dealer recommended the Michelin Pilot HX MXM4, but the reviews aren't very good. The other tire that seems to be recommended for my car is the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S, but it's made in Mexico and I can't seem to get past that.

I want a tire that is comfortable, quiet, handles well, stops when I need to stop, and isn't squirrely on a rare rainy day. I prefer Michelin. I prefer made in the USA. And I love the sporty look of the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus. Am I making a mistake????? Any advice would be appreciated!
You have made an excellent choice. They may be a bit noisier than you may expect at first, but as they break-in, they do quiet down quickly. I will repurchase those tires when my current ones eventually wear out. I was recently appreciating them again on a 750 mile weekend as the car has that smooth/gliding sensation at highway speeds. And, the handling and overall performance are excellent.

Last edited by Sportstick; 11-01-2011 at 11:29 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Good Choice. Either keep what came on the car or Michelin's .
Old 11-02-2011, 05:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E320
I appreciate your reassurances, guys! I now have the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires on my car. I have driven around about 15 miles already, and I couldn't be happier! Again, thanks!!