Tires, tires, tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 12:46 AM
brm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 E350 Sport
Tires, tires, tires

Just like the realtors' mantra of location, location, location, the key to making a car perform as it should is the proper tire for conditions. Despite living in Minnesnowta and having had fwd DDs for 30 years, this spring I bought a 2wd E350 thinking I could make it work in the winter, as long as I put snow (not all-season) tires on it. After all, I grew up in Duluth driving rwd cars with snows on the rear only, and more than 20 years of autocrossing has taught me how much of a difference the proper rubber can make.
Anyway, I put the summer car (M roadster) away a couple of weeks ago, we got our first snow today, and I immediately was very much afraid I had made a big mistake in not getting a 4Matic. I was caught a few miles from home after an inch or so of snow had fallen, while still on the Conti Contacts. As they had been exemplary in the wet, I thought they could handle a little snow, and so delayed in swapping for the winter tires. Really, really, bad idea. My fwd cars had a modicum of traction, even with summer tires. Not so the E on the Contis; it was like driving on a well-greased cookie sheet. I had to go up a small hill immediately after starting, and the car kept going slower and slower until it stopped, the traction control logo flashing all the while. Traction control is great unless neither tire has traction, in which case you go nowhere. I had to back the car down the hill and take a run at it, which did the trick. I proceeded to white-knuckle it home at a crawl, the traction light almost constantly lit, even in "C" mode. It was not confidence-inspiring when I passed a Chevy on the right-hand side of the road with a collapsed LF suspension, caused by hitting a concrete island. The tale was told by the tire tracks: she exited the highway too fast for conditions and slid right across the intersection and the island.
Made it home without incident, and swapped the Contis out for the Nitto snows on 17" sport rims I bought from a member of this board shortly after I bought the car. It was with some trepidation I set out a short time later to lay in necessary winter supplies--Scotch. I'm happy to report there was a day and night difference with the Nittos. It starts, steers, and stops. No, it's not going to keep up with a WRX or even a Maxima if they're on snows (which few of them are), but it's no longer a pig on roller skates. I'm looking forward to having some fun with it the rest of the winter, and am relieved that it was the tires, and not the car.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32, 2007 E550 4matic
Glad you made it home safely and without any damage to your car. I grew up on FWD cars and then switched to AWD German cars. My biggest problem was always going the cheapest possible route with tires. I know, a big mistake. I was going to do dedicated snows on the C class this year, but I have decided to park her as normal for the winter. I didn't go dedicated snows on the 4matic E, but I have ordered Conti ExtremeContact DWS for her. They will be here on Monday. I don't expect a night and day difference from my current stock tires, but I do expect some better grip. Also, my stockers are worn to ---t.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
DWS will do very well in light to moderate snow at moderate winter temps. They are about the best all season tires for snow capability that any company produces. We have them on our E4MATIC, but swap to dedicated winter tires for our Michigan snow accumulations, as they will not do extremely well once the snow is more than moderate or the temps really plunge. They are outstanding in the rain as well.