Mercedes W211, E220CDI Transmission FAULT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes W211
Mercedes W211, E220CDI Transmission FAULT

Hi, guys.

Well, I have an Mercedes E220CDI, 2003 model, first registrated june, 2003.

The transmission has been buzzing while cruising everything from 10 km/h up to 60-70 in relative low RPM, so you had to push the gas further 2000/2.5/3000 RPM to get pass the buzzing. It was certainly a very annoying problem.

Today and yesterday while driving, the car or transmission all of sudden started buzzing ALOT and so to say the whole ride, the transmission made the car just hump like very strong very frequently. Just when driving in 40 km/h, the car suddenly just humps or jumps and it's not a comfortable thing. It does it just once, then you can drive for 10-15 seconds, and it does it again.

I have seen similar issues to this model, and I'm pretty sure it's a design fault (they fixed it after August, 2003 as far as I'm aware).

Does anyone know what this problem is, and what has caused it?

What will the repair costs be to solve this problem?

And will Mercedes contribute to fix this themselves, or will I have to take the whole thing for myself? I have seen alot of people getting this after the warranty being expired fixed by Mercedes, but not sure.

Please guys, come with inputs. I really am in need for help!!

Best regards to you all.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
E320CDI, CLK55, and a Smart
If I were you I'd go to the dealer or independent shop that has a SDS (Star Diagnosis System) to read to the codes. It could be a number of things.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes W211
Originally Posted by Dan ****
If I were you I'd go to the dealer or independent shop that has a SDS (Star Diagnosis System) to read to the codes. It could be a number of things.
Thank you for your response.

Today the problem got solved, and I didn't witness or feel anything suspicious with the transmission, all though I will have to take it to the dealer for a check.