E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Transporting Kayaks on a W211 Wagon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 05:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 CLK430 Cabrio, 2009 BMW 535 iX Wagon
Post Transporting Kayaks on a W211 Wagon

When I did my research before I bought, I only found very few posts about roof carriers for the W211, particularly the wagon (S211). So I'd like to share my experience with the OEM carrier and the Inno INA450 rack after a couple of trips with our two kayaks, a 14- and a 16-footer.

The base carriers are good quality (not quite unexpectedly) and look extraordinarily solid and sturdy. A couple of people have complimented the system (seriously!). The carriers may feel a little loose at first sight (see my post https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...how-tight.html), but they hold securely, and with cargo in place, nothing would wiggle anyway. Had I not found a lightly used pair on eBay, I do not think I would have been able to justify the exorbitant price of the OEM crossbars to myself, though.

Here is a review about the Inno INA450 kayak rack kit, which I also posted at the store where I bought it (www.orsracksdirect.com):

---

Well-designed rack with good build quality and finish. Using one ISF716 Long Bolt Adapter Kit and a little reshuffling of the screws, this rack fits the OEM base carrier for the 2004-2009 E-Class (W211). I installed the rack with the post in the center and one kayak on each side. In this configuration, you need a second pair of straps as well as bow and stern lines. In a pinch, there might be enough space left for one bike. With a bike rack that mounts in the T-grooves, you should comfortably fit one on each side.

The rack holds our two kayaks very safely in place. On short, non-freeway trips, we do not even use bow and stern lines, and I have never noticed any shifting. The only small thing that could be improved is a way of feeding a cable lock through the saddles to prevent theft. I simply drilled a hole in each saddle and feed a Lashlock through each of the components.

With the posts folded, the rack on the OEM base carrier has only a small impact on the gas mileage (<1 mpg). But then, the mileage of the E500 Wagon is not stellar to begin with, and even the base carriers alone are too noisy to encourage to driving long distances without roof cargo.

I would definitely recommend this to friends and neighbors.

---

Back to the more car-specific topics, which are not part of my rack review. The bow lines attach to Thule Hood Loop Straps (e.g., http://www.backcountry.com/thule-hood-loop-strap). I mounted these at the second pair of fender screws from the front. Had to use longer screws. I seem to recall they are M5, but verify for yourself. Works well so far.

For the stern lines, I have not found a good solution yet. Using the tow points in the cargo area hinders opening the tailgate and would wear down the edges of the glass in short time. So I will probably end up mounting the tow eye and using that for now. Suggestions welcome!

Last thing to add is that the ends of the screws of the center post may interfere with tilting the sunroof (which I do all the time when parked). So I have the front carrier almost as far forward as it gets. That works well for carrying kayaks, but might not be feasible for other roof cargo.

Last edited by JayDee4711; 12-19-2011 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Corrected typos