Oil warning..ne1 seen this?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by intrinsico
I took the car in and the dealer let some oil out. That didn't seem to help as the warning came back in the exact same spot when driving home (it also comes in roughly in the same spot when driving to the dealership in the morning). They took it back and changed the sensor - same result. Brought it back today and they said they had to reset some values in the computer - well, that didn't help either! Going back tomorrow... Any ideas what can cause this - as I said, the warning comes on for the first time after driving roughly the same distance...

Thanks,
Sergiu
Your dealer should have a dip stick for your car. I can't believe they don't have one. He should also be able to check the amount of oil the oil sensor says is in the the crankcase. If I can do it without any special tools, he should be able to do it.

At least your dealer should be able to tell you exactly how much oil is in the crankcase so that it can put everyone's mind at ease about overfilling.
Old 11-03-2004, 04:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Originally Posted by intrinsico
as I said, the warning comes on for the first time after driving roughly the same distance...

Thanks,
Sergiu
Hi Sergiu,
The above sentence is most interesting and surely this should be given serious consideration as to the problem. If it were a faulty sensor surely it would either be on, off, or continually flashing on or off?

Over sensitive sensor?

Incorrect calibration?

Build up of oil?

Problem in the engine?

There is something wrong somewhere and I personally would want it sorted.

Good luck and thank you very much for the update.

A very sunny cool morning in Torquay (did you know there was some sort of election in the US??? )

Regards,
John

Last edited by glojo; 11-03-2004 at 10:09 AM.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E320, 2004 C240 4Matic, 2001 S430
I mentioned the fact that it happens after roughly the same distance and they said they would look into it - AGAIN... We'll see, the oil level seems to be right on the money (according to them) so that's not it. I drove it back to the dealer this morning and it didn't happen...

Oh, yes, the election - don't get me started on that... Sad sad sad
Old 11-03-2004, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
My car also did it once

My car only had 500 miles on it and it only did it when I parked it on a steep downhill I didn't do anything about it since I know it had to do with the hill. If I park it on on the same hill pointing up, then it says to add oil. It is really steep where I park it when I go to the mountains.

It has never done it once I started to drive or while driving. Now that I know how to get the actual quarts reading, I will chack what it says the next time it does it. btw, the manual says that it takes 8.5 quarts, but the car says it has 7.1 in it.

Steve