Has anyone that got the SBC brake recall gotten the software upgrade done yet

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 12:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S4
Has anyone that got the SBC brake recall gotten the software upgrade done yet

if so, did you feel a difference in brake feel? also how long did it take? thanks
Old 10-31-2004, 01:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
I had dropped off the car for the day & went to work. The update is completely transparent to the user. No difference in feel/braking to the driver at all.

They also updated/flahed the central gateway software too. (Also transparent)
Old 10-31-2004, 01:49 AM

Here is what BudC wrote in another thread (I used the search function....)

The recall doesn't fix anything because there is nothing broken. All it does is change a program to count the number of times you activate the brakes. This stems from problems some very high mileage cars in Europe had with bubbles in the fluid reservoir. This only happened on vehicles such as taxis which had hundreds of thousands of brake applications. You will not live long enough to apply your brakes 300,000 times.
Old 10-31-2004, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Why count the brake applications if the info isnt used? If it is used, how does it address the bubble situation... or do you get a warning on the cluster that its time to service the SBC at the service department (or the antique sounding, "Workshop")?
Old 10-31-2004, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
I had dropped off the car for the day & went to work. The update is completely transparent to the user. No difference in feel/braking to the driver at all.

They also updated/flahed the central gateway software too. (Also transparent)
Barry, when you say central gateway are you referring to the main ECU? If so, was it mentioned on your receipt. The reason I ask is that I will be bringing my car for this as well as the stalling (shutting off) issue i've posted about. If they re-flash my ECU it will wipe out my Renntech upgrade! Renntech will re-do but I would need proof of it. My salesman thinks I should just come clean and tell them I've done the mod. With the relationship I have there he said they won't do anything.
Old 10-31-2004, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Why count the brake applications if the info isnt used? If it is used, how does it address the bubble situation... or do you get a warning on the cluster that its time to service the SBC at the service department (or the antique sounding, "Workshop")?
I think I read somewhere that when it reaches 100,000 applications that the shop will inspect the system and replace something (pump?) if it's out of spec. I have no idea if something will be displayed to the driver or if it's just something added to the things that are supposed to be inspected when the car is in the shop.

In any case, I have no intention of wasting the better part of a day having this change applied. They can do it when and if I take the car to the dealer for a real problem.
Old 10-31-2004, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
....ahhh but you'll miss out on the chance to drive a new loaner. I had a ML350 with 400 miles on it. Fun, but wouldn't ever consider owning one.
Old 10-31-2004, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
....ahhh but you'll miss out on the chance to drive a new loaner. I had a ML350 with 400 miles on it. Fun, but wouldn't ever consider owning one.
It takes me over an hour in heavy traffic to get to the dealer. Now if they would offer me a BMW 330I loaner, I'd be down there tomorrow morning and I'd tell them to take their time
Old 10-31-2004, 01:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML 320 CDI
I can't believe it's taken the dealers in the States so long to get round to this. I had my upgrade done on the 19th April 2004.
Old 10-31-2004, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Doesn't the US get most of MB's vehicles production shipped here? There aren't a ton of MB dealers here like there are of Lexus/Bmw/Ford/Chevy/Chrysler, etc. so with so many cars to prep, deliver & service they probably take their time as long as its not an emergency type of recall. Just a guess... I dunno.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S4
Originally Posted by marcos
I can't believe it's taken the dealers in the States so long to get round to this. I had my upgrade done on the 19th April 2004.
maybe its a different recall for a different problem with the SBC brakes? The recall says something about having to press the pedal too far (something I've always thought was a problem) due to the backup system kicking in when its not supposed to
Old 11-01-2004, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
The recall deals with the fact that the "brake by wire" system may cut out (due to bubbles in the oil) resulting in the back up hydraulic system being whats left to use. The driver would not know this in advance so he would apply the usuall "brake by wire" pedal pressure, not the needed hydraulic pedal pressure, resulting in a longer than anticipated stopping diatance & possible unexpected contact with another vehicle.

The recall deals with the vehicle knowing in advance if there will be bubbles in the SBC system, from the number of previous pedal applications. That way, either you would be notified of service being required, or maybe the car being able to handle/fix/bleed the problem... The solution is basically so the driver would not be surprised that the brake by wire system was down due to excessive brake pedal applications.

The problem has only been found in commercial vehicles like Taxis whaich are run 24/7, with many many pedal applications, regulay guy's so the likelihood of a daily driver having the failure at all is remote.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:38 PM

W211 & Q7
this is the recall campaign #2004 050014

the model applys to

2003 - 2005 E-class and
2003 - 2004 SL-class

equipped with SBC

DaimierChrysler AG has determined that in certain instances the pump motor may run out of permissible tolerances, thereby triggering the hydraulic back up function mode. In the hydraulic back up mode, the driver has braking power sufficient to stop the vehicle, althought greater brake pedal pressure is required and the brake pedal travel will be noticeably longer which lead to a vehicle crash.

Actually, MB must do this recall under US law.

If an authorized Mercedes-Benz dealer or Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC, fails or is unable to perform this service without charge within 60 days, pursuant to law 49 U.S.C. Chapter 301, you may submit a complaint to the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 400 Seventh Street, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20590 or call the toll-free Auto Safety Hotline at 888-327-4236.

I hope NHTSA knows that US SBC does not have a SBC-hold feature which is a serious safety issue, e.g. vehicle rolls back on the steep hill and may run over the pedestrian behind the car.

I am very UNHAPPY that my dealer takes 2 DAYS to do this 2 hour recall job.