E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Kids and door locks...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2003, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 996 C2 Cabrio
Kids and door locks...

The door locks in my E lock automatically when speeds exceed 9 mph.

However, I do not see a way to "lock out" the rear door locks while driving. Meaning, is there some way to keep the rear doors locked and shut, even if kiddos on the inside are pulling at the door handles?

Right now, it seems that if you're driving and pull on the door handle, it will open. Is this the case?

I haven't tried opening the doors on the move yet...
Old 06-22-2003, 08:35 PM

04' E500 w/Appear. PKG, Panorama Roof
HUGE OVERSIGHT on MB's part in my opinion! We havre kiddo's and had we noticed this prior to purchase the car would have been eliminated. Our oversight. Very irresponsible ommission on MB's part!
Old 06-22-2003, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
Re: Kids and door locks...

Originally posted by NuBenz
The door locks in my E lock automatically when speeds exceed 9 mph.

However, I do not see a way to "lock out" the rear door locks while driving. Meaning, is there some way to keep the rear doors locked and shut, even if kiddos on the inside are pulling at the door handles?

Right now, it seems that if you're driving and pull on the door handle, it will open. Is this the case?

I haven't tried opening the doors on the move yet...
while the doors are locked, and someone tried to just open the handle in the back, the door will not unlock, however, if the driver opens his handle, then all doors unlock, but i thought there was a child lock, maybe not though
Old 06-22-2003, 09:57 PM

02 996 C2 Cabrio
So, when locked...

the rear doors cannot be opened when the handle is pulled. Correct?

I guess that's reasonable. But still, when driving and the doors are locked, one can still open either front door by simply pulling on the handle.

Hmmm, a bit strange and risky to me! Maybe a "convenience" design. I'd rather have no handles work if the doors are locked.

It should be safer that way...
Old 06-22-2003, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
Re: So, when locked...

Originally posted by NuBenz
the rear doors cannot be opened when the handle is pulled. Correct?

I guess that's reasonable. But still, when driving and the doors are locked, one can still open either front door by simply pulling on the handle.

Hmmm, a bit strange and risky to me! Maybe a "convenience" design. I'd rather have no handles work if the doors are locked.

It should be safer that way...
yea, thats correct, and your right, the car should of came with child locks
Old 06-22-2003, 10:40 PM

2013 S550
I think something like that should be an option. Really, any kind of accommodation for children should be an option. I do firmly believe in child safety and MB should lead the way in that category. Still, people that have children should pay extra for the option (if it's more expensive for the manufacturer). Those without children or whose children are grown should not have to pay extra for that convenience unless they choose to do so.
Old 06-22-2003, 11:14 PM

2003 E500
I seem to have the problem opposite of what is described in the first post in this thread. After I start driving and the doors lock, the rear passengers cannot unlock their doors, even when the car is stopped. I have to remember to hit the unlock switch on the dashboard. For me this is a problem simply because my kids are old enough that I am not worried about locking them in, and it takes someone trying and failing to open the door before I remember to hit that switch.
Old 06-23-2003, 07:53 AM

2004 E 4matic StationWagon
Dim Recollection

I am not at my car, but I have a dim recollection that there are child-safety locks. However, I believe they need to be engaged mechanically. Does anyone have access to their car? If so, open one or both back doors and look at the interior door sill that faces the B and C pillars. There should be one of those infamous MB stickers that advises how to engage the child locks.
Old 06-23-2003, 09:10 AM

'03 Mercedes E320
I checked. There are no tabs on the door frame, like many US cars, to make the interior handles freewheel. You can only open those types of locks from outside, regardless of power locks. "Childproof locks".

To open the MB rear doors from inside, the lock plunger must be manually raised or the power locks opened to permit the door to open. The front doors unlock the door simply by pulling the interior handle, the rear's won't. Whether that unlocks all your locks depends upon the lock settings.

I don't know whether you can raise the lock plunger on the rear doors while in motion, or will the auto lock feature continue to engage the lock while the car is in motion, much like the trunk opener will not work at speed. Somebody with rear passengers needs to try that.
Old 06-23-2003, 10:06 AM
Almost a Member!

2005 ML500 SE, 2005 X5
MB only includes child locks on vehicles destined for countries that require them by law. All German market MB's have child safety locks. USA spec vehicles do not, I can only assume that this is yet another cost cutting measure by MB. Safety should never be comprimised because of cost concerns. Shame on MB !!
Old 06-23-2003, 01:13 PM

I have children rear proof-locks in my car. It’s amazing that MB not include this for US market.
Old 06-23-2003, 03:21 PM

'03 E320 CDI Avantgarde '00 Renault Mégane Coupé 1.6 16v (wife).
My car has children locks on rear doors.

I have a 2 year old girl. she sits on the leftside and I have that door children locked: only can be opend from outside if entire car is unlocked
Anyway the right rear door can be opened from inside at any moment, even whith the auto-lock enabled

Every 4 or 5 door car here has rear chidren lock. Even a '65 Renault Gordini when I was a child.
Old 06-24-2003, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
I checked mine out today. After the doors lock automatically, the rear doors cannot be opened while it is moving. Actually, they can't be opened until the front door is opened or the unlock button on the dash is pushed.
Old 06-24-2003, 11:58 AM

'03 E320 CDI Avantgarde '00 Renault Mégane Coupé 1.6 16v (wife).
Haven´t tried to open doors while car is moving
Old 06-24-2003, 01:02 PM

2012 CLS
We have child locks here in the UK. With my 6 and 8 year old they are a must.

The rear doors cannot be opened from the inside whether the car is running or not. By lifting a latch near the shut plate the child locks can be deactivated for when you are carrying adults.

Anyone get their arm pinched by the button as you go over 9 mph and the doors lock? My fault for resting it on the window sill - but it hurt and bruised. take care!!!!!!!!

Marc
Old 06-24-2003, 04:03 PM
Almost a Member!

there's an unlock button on the dash to open up all the doors... and why would you unlock the doors while you're moving???
Old 06-24-2003, 04:43 PM

2012 CLS
The unlock button on the dash is to allow the doors to be open from the OUTSIDE. It has no effect on the child locks.

You would use the button when stopping to pick up a passanger - otherwise they cannot get in.......

Marc
Old 07-03-2003, 04:52 PM
Almost a Member!

Lightbulb Possible solution

I found out that the child lock is going to be an issue with my car too.

However, here's a possible solution, even if a little ungainly.

The rear door handle will not open the door if the little plunger is down. So unscrew and remove the plunger.

Then, the only ways to unlock the rear door will be to press the button on the dash, use the remote or use one of the front handles to unlock all doors.

Mehul
Old 07-04-2003, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1998 C230
I have a baby-smart switch on my shifter console area.
when activated it prevents the passenger airbag from going off (incase of a babyseat+baby there) and also it stops the rear doors/windows from being unlocked/opened by any rear passengers.
Old 07-04-2003, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1998 C230
not that i'd ever need it

since im a college student and all