E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Knocking noise at idle (NOT the engine mounts)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2003, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211
Knocking noise at idle (NOT the engine mounts)

I recently noticed that my car is making a knocking noise most noticeable from the back seat area when the engine is idling. A passenger alerted me to this and I went to sit in the back and noticed it. It is very faint but definitely noticeable when the radio is off and the fan is not blowing that hard.

Can you guys check if you have it? Sit in the back when the engine is idling? Turn off the radio and turn down the fan?

I am sure this is not the engine mount issue- I had that problem and had the mounts replaced-- this sound is completely different and can only be heard from the back seat.

I did some searching on the benzworld message boards and it seems to be a noisy fuel shut off valve and want to see if this is a widespread problem.
Old 06-22-2003, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
Re: Knocking noise at idle (NOT the engine mounts)

Originally posted by MPTLPTR
I recently noticed that my car is making a knocking noise most noticeable from the back seat area when the engine is idling. A passenger alerted me to this and I went to sit in the back and noticed it. It is very faint but definitely noticeable when the radio is off and the fan is not blowing that hard.

Can you guys check if you have it? Sit in the back when the engine is idling? Turn off the radio and turn down the fan?

I am sure this is not the engine mount issue- I had that problem and had the mounts replaced-- this sound is completely different and can only be heard from the back seat.

I did some searching on the benzworld message boards and it seems to be a noisy fuel shut off valve and want to see if this is a widespread problem.
hmm, i really dont have that sound,but is it kind of vibraty on the floor, if so, i have it, i didnt think it was a problem, i thought it was all that torque
Old 07-15-2003, 01:24 AM
Almost a Member!

03 e500 sport
Re: Re: Knocking noise at idle (NOT the engine mounts)

Originally posted by bmms8
hmm, i really dont have that sound,but is it kind of vibraty on the floor, if so, i have it, i didnt think it was a problem, i thought it was all that torque

Have you solve that problem yet?? i also notice it today when sitting in the car for few minutes. Thanks
Old 07-15-2003, 01:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Re: Re: Re: Knocking noise at idle (NOT the engine mounts)

Originally posted by nguyent281
Have you solve that problem yet?? i also notice it today when sitting in the car for few minutes. Thanks
no i havent. i will be getting my replacement next month, so i am not worrying about it.
Old 07-15-2003, 01:40 PM
Almost a Member!

03 e500 sport
So i should take it in and have it checked out?? this is my first mercedes so i thought it was normal. what do you think the problem is?? Are you trading yours in??
Old 07-15-2003, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally posted by nguyent281
So i should take it in and have it checked out?? this is my first mercedes so i thought it was normal. what do you think the problem is?? Are you trading yours in??
it might be part of it, but i would still take it in, and ask them to start up others, and notice if its on those cars, i am not really trading it in. there was a problem with MB dealing with the navigation. so i will get another 2003 car with the nav, and i will be giving them this car, so its a trade in, but i dont have to pay anything, and i can put any # of miles on my current car.
Old 07-15-2003, 01:46 PM
Almost a Member!

03 e500 sport
Thanks alot bmms8. i will take my car in this weekend. It was nice of them to give you a new car. Well thanks again.

Tan
Old 07-16-2003, 11:48 PM

yeah hey

i know what that know is. i have it too. so so riduculously annoying. I took it to my dealer and he says it is the ESP making that noise.

i think u should try to see if it comes in other E's.

E320
Old 07-16-2003, 11:49 PM

AND YEAH HE SAYS THIS NOISE IS NORMAL!!!

CAN U BELIEVE IT.
Old 07-17-2003, 01:15 AM
Almost a Member!

03 e500 sport
NO way!! Bought a benz not a virbrating chair. I will take it in and see what they say about it.

Hey randomx5. can you tell me what pther problem have you had with your car thats fixrf under warranty. I just got mine and want to know what the most common problems with them
Old 07-17-2003, 09:02 PM
wow
Almost a Member!

E500
Since I bought my E500, I have had a fair share of problems. I just recently took my car in for a complete analysis from A to Z. Here were my problems:

1. Noise heard when engine is idle
2. Pull to the right
3. Vibrations when engine is idle
4. Vibrations at 70 MPH
5. Break noise
6. Radio/CD changer problem (Not work on occassions)
7. Car jerked unexpectedly at high speed (75 MPH or so)
8. Left break light malfunctioning

I left the car at the dealer for 6 days and they fixed everything except the radio. They claimed that MB is still working out the bug.

Well, despite all of the above issues, I still like my E500.

Regards.
Old 07-17-2003, 09:37 PM

W211
Do you have the receipt that tells you what they did to fix each problem? Please tell us what they did
Old 07-18-2003, 01:32 AM
Almost a Member!

03 e500 sport
i had my car for just 3 days now. i have braking noise and vibrating problem. i hope they fix it and not say its normal.
Old 07-18-2003, 02:58 AM
wow
Almost a Member!

E500
Since I don't have a scanner, I am going to type the fixes here from my receipt:

Engine has a slight tapping noise when accelerating from idle. Faulty motor mounts. Damage code 24005077
Replaced both motor mounts. Road Test Noise gone.

Replaced left tail lamp bulb assembly. Faulty L/R tail light circuit board. Damage code 82224747. After repair, the ICM had a message of L/R tail light out. Performed electrical test & found 12.1V to tail lights from rear SAM to tail lights & Brake lights. R&R L/R trunk liner and R&R L/R tail light housing. Replaced L/R tail lamp circuit board. Test OK.

Perform 4 wheel alignment and adjust to specifications. Performed alignment caster out of specs. Installed caster bolts both sides.

The car has a vibration at idle. Seems to be coming from the engine area. Damage code 43102367
Vibration from SBC pump. DTB 42.46/27a
R&R Exhaust & repositioned. Some vibration still there, loosend, & retorqued rear trans mount. Felt the brake pressure pump run at idle, making noise. Installed pulsation dampener as per DTB42.26/27a. Blead brakes, road test & vibration reduced to a min. Road test with foreman. OK.
Old 07-18-2003, 12:06 PM

W211
Thanks a lot for the info
Old 07-21-2003, 12:39 AM
Almost a Member!

03 e500 sport
thanks alot wow.. i will print this out and take it to the dealer so i can show them the codes. My damn radio went out today also so i gotta add that to the list of problems. I like this car alot but its starting to scare me when i drive it. I dont want the engine to shut off on me one day or whatever when i take it on a road trip..