E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Quick conformation requested. Does headlight knob area icons light up?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 06:06 PM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Was MB 2009 E350 AWD. Now 2016 MB E350 AWD
Quick conformation requested. Does headlight knob area icons light up?

Hi,

In the headlight knob area of my car, the knob itself and both fog lamp icons / indicators light up. Are the icons for the around the top circle of the knob suppose to also light up (off, auto, manual on, etc...)

Last edited by jaisonline; 01-27-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
06 E55(SOLD), 03 E500(SOLD)
No.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
It is incredibly dumb of Mercedes to not light it up. What is strange is that the little white notch at the edge of the knob lights up. What for?! What was Mercedes thinking to light the knob but not any of the icons around the knob. Whenever a valet messes with the lighting and I get the car back I need to turn on the stupid dome light to know where that knob points to
Old 01-28-2012, 07:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E500
If you leave it on Auto, it doesn't really matter. I agree, it was a strange omission but in practice it doesn't affect me day to day.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:41 AM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Agreed. Probably to increase readability, MB changed this to have a black background with white lettering in later model years no matter what the interior colour. Still does not light up though.

Also don't like to leave the switch on Auto. With Xenon lights that life of the expensive bulb and ballast is governed by the number of total bulb strikes ( as well as total hours). That would mean two additional ones for me each work day as I park in a garage at home.

Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
It is incredibly dumb of Mercedes to not light it up. What is strange is that the little white notch at the edge of the knob lights up. What for?! What was Mercedes thinking to light the knob but not any of the icons around the knob. Whenever a valet messes with the lighting and I get the car back I need to turn on the stupid dome light to know where that knob points to
Old 01-28-2012, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 GLC43 'AMG'
You should be able to set it with your eyes closed. Straight up is OFF, and that position is very obvious (to me, YMMV). AUTO is the next position to the right. I also wish they'd added a dim white LED backlight, but only so that it didn't look like they cut corners to save a nickle.

In Canada, with mandatory DRLs, there's no way to get around having the headlights come on with the ignition. Are the HID bulbs that expensive that one should worry about it? I'm guessing $200 max even letting the dealer replace it.