E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

DIY How-To - Adding an Ipod to the Center Console for under $12

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 Sedan Sport
DIY How-To - Adding an Ipod to the Center Console for under $12

Sorry I couldn't imbed the pictures (too many).

See the attacments for my install, I'm really happy with how it turned out
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Adding an iPod to E350 1of2.pdf (1.73 MB, 672 views)
File Type: pdf
Adding an iPod to E350 2of2.pdf (1.63 MB, 377 views)
Old 02-05-2012, 05:58 AM

C320 CDI Estate, E500 4M Wagon
Well done! There are pros and cons of every install eh? I've found that the E is very easy to work on, add add things to, in most areas. The center console/stack comes apart easily and is a fairly painless area to route cables. Two that aren't so easy are the roof console and wagon tailgate!

By far, the easiest way to wire ipod dash-display (and ONLY way to have COMAND display) functionality in the E is with the iTronic from Cartronics.

The M/B iPod connector must be routed back to the AGW (in the trunk!), to rear of COMAND, and to the CAN BUS in the passenger footwell. A seasoned installer will claim that routing cables to the rear is a simple job, but if you're not familiar, it will take some research and several hours of labor.

The M/B unit can navigate to podcasts, and play unlimited songs....but is somewhat of a PITA to back out of menu's, etc. ITronic has other limitations but is great for display functionality. (also has other non-iPod uses).

In the end, I agree that the stock location for the audio is unsat! Also, either display option is about $700 more than you spent! You can also easily add jumpers to the cig lighter power and free up your front side of the cig lighter. In addition, you will likely need a ground loop isolator inline with the audio connection to eliminate the hum from the USB charger.

Also beware that your cord routing blocks the emergency trans unlock (for dead battery towing)

Congrats again, and happy listening.

Smash

Last edited by SmashF15C; 02-05-2012 at 06:01 AM.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:35 PM

E350 Sedan Sport
Originally Posted by SmashF15C
Well done! There are pros and cons of every install eh? I've found that the E is very easy to work on, add add things to, in most areas.

In addition, you will likely need a ground loop isolator inline with the audio connection to eliminate the hum from the USB charger.

Also beware that your cord routing blocks the emergency trans unlock (for dead battery towing)
Thanks for the good feedback, Smash.

I've found the car easy to work on too. So far, my installs include: Navigation, Bluetooth/Phone, and Voice Control. The available iPod options just seemed to much effort and cost for two little gain, so I just went with the generic harness route.

No hum from the USB to this point! (hope I didn't jinx myself by saying that)

On the "trans unlock" so THAT'S what that hole is for, I'll have to re-look at that. If it does block access, maybe I'll drill another hole close by and cut a slice between the holes so I can slide my cables through to the new hole?.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 203 Likes on 140 Posts
W212 M276 DELA 30 ; W211 OM642 ; R107 M117, Sierra 1500 LZ0
I've had luck with the Dension Gateway 500, which I wired up last year and allows me to control any usb media or ipod with comand or the steering wheel buttons. I can't remember why I didn't go with the itronic at the time...
Old 02-05-2012, 05:06 PM

C320 CDI Estate, E500 4M Wagon
Originally Posted by DubVBenz
I've had luck with the Dension Gateway 500, which I wired up last year and allows me to control any usb media or ipod with comand or the steering wheel buttons. I can't remember why I didn't go with the itronic at the time...
Ah, I've read about that one but it's been awhile. Happy with it? Post a pic of the COMAND with iPod controls dialed up.

Smash