E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Command II DVD Navigation for 03 Es has arrived

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-26-2003, 07:00 PM
drb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 E320, sport package, moon roof, sound upgrade, brilliant silver, charcoal leather, heated seats..
Originally posted by rgbyhkr
Is there an auxillary audio input jack in the glovebox like there is on the DVD Comand unit being used in the E over in Europe currently?
There is a jack in the glovebox. At the top in the middle.
Old 06-26-2003, 07:06 PM
drb

03 E320, sport package, moon roof, sound upgrade, brilliant silver, charcoal leather, heated seats..
Originally posted by LA320OWNER
So you can have a CD playing while the NAV is operational?

I bought the CD changer when I preordered the NAV because I was told that
they would be operating off the same drive.
Yes, a music cd will play while the Nav is working.
Old 06-26-2003, 08:30 PM
drb

Originally posted by e500
drb - HAVE YOU TRIED TO SEE IF YOU CAN SCROLL PRESETS FROM THE STEERING WHEEL YET?
It does not appear the presets can be scrolled from the steering wheel.
Old 06-26-2003, 08:36 PM

Do you think there is a way to play a dvd so it shows up on the video and plays through the stereo? Or is there an aux plug so we can use a portable dvd player but utilize the screen and stereo.

Sorry to hear about the radio presets. That is really a big mistake in my opinion.

amgB
Old 06-26-2003, 08:40 PM
drb

Originally posted by AMGB
Do you think there is a way to play a dvd so it shows up on the video and plays through the stereo? Or is there an aux plug so we can use a portable dvd player but utilize the screen and stereo.

Sorry to hear about the radio presets. That is really a big mistake in my opinion.

amgB
There is one jack or plug in the glove box. I do not have a dvd player to try out. The manual says dvd can be played but I receive an error message (cd not recognized) when I remove the nav disk from the nav player in the trunk, and insert a dvd movie.
Old 06-26-2003, 09:32 PM

So the manual says you can play a DVD, but when you insert it in the slot above the screen, it cannot recognize it. I wonder if the manual was written for worldwide, and the DVD playing option is not available in the US.

amgB
Old 06-26-2003, 09:55 PM

one of seven
it's possible that the DVD player and DVDs (from MB) are set for Europe as the region and a US region DVD will not play in it

if the front top slot is still for CDs, of course that wouldn't play a DVD either
Old 06-26-2003, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
Originally posted by mbprince
if the front top slot is still for CDs, of course that wouldn't play a DVD either
but they replace the whole audio unit, not just the screen.... i am sure there are aftermarket companies that can enable it, and prob same with the T.V.
Old 06-26-2003, 10:21 PM

2004 S55
Originally posted by drb
There is a jack in the glovebox. At the top in the middle.
Thanks for the info. I'm guessing there is also an option in the Service menu to access the aux input like the Euro system?

Jeff
Old 06-26-2003, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
This may be a silly question....there is still a six CD changer isn't there?
What audio imput equipment would you connect thru the outlet in the glove compartment? Maybe a MP3 or something? I know nothing (not little or nothing, just nothing) about the MP3 players and such so have no idea.
Old 06-26-2003, 10:54 PM

2004 S55
Originally posted by etenn
What audio imput equipment would you connect thru the outlet in the glove compartment? Maybe a MP3 or something? I know nothing (not little or nothing, just nothing) about the MP3 players and such so have no idea.
For me, this would be for use with a portable MP3 player. Specifically, my Apple iPod. Having a changer is great but an MP3 player with 1000s of songs on hand like the iPod is indispensable for me. I use it daily for portable listening. Having a true input jack built into the stock radio is much better that having to use an FM transmitter.

Jeff
Old 06-27-2003, 07:15 AM

LEXUS
So the manual says you can play a DVD, but when you insert it in the slot above the screen, it cannot recognize it. I wonder if the manual was written for worldwide, and the DVD playing option is not available in the US.

amgB
The video DVD goes into the nav dvd player in the trunk...not the slot above the screen. Nevertheless, I tried inserting the video DVD in the slot above the screen and the video DVD did not play. Audio DVDs will play when inserted in the slot above the screen.
Old 06-27-2003, 07:42 AM

2004 S55
Originally posted by slipnby
The video DVD goes into the nav dvd player in the trunk...not the slot above the screen. Nevertheless, I tried inserting the video DVD in the slot above the screen and the video DVD did not play. Audio DVDs will play when inserted in the slot above the screen.
So, you're saying that you can play DVD-A discs from the slot above the screen? For those of you who are confused, DVD Audio (DVD-A) is a higher than CD resolution audio format offered in 2-channel and multi-channel versions that competes with SACD. While not all DVD video units can play DVD-A discs, every DVD-A player I have seen will also play DVD video discs. If it will only do DVD-A, then that seems pretty silly to me.

For more info on DVD-A, see a FAQ here:

http://www.digitalaudioguide.com/faq.../faq_intro.htm

Jeff

Last edited by rgbyhkr; 06-27-2003 at 07:45 AM.
Old 06-27-2003, 07:52 AM

LEXUS
Originally posted by etenn
Ed, yes there is a place for a CD changer. I did not get the changer because I intend to go with XM radio. I am like you, no experience with MP3s, and have no idea what the outlet is for. It is too small for headphones. I'm guessing, if you had an audio/video cable, something could be connected to the slot. However, the slot is the type one would connect a headphone (although it is too small for that) instead of the cable I use in my receiver in the house.
Old 06-27-2003, 07:58 AM

LEXUS
So, you're saying that you can play DVD-A discs from the slot above the screen? For those of you who are confused, DVD Audio (DVD-A) is a higher than CD resolution audio format offered in 2-channel and multi-channel versions that competes with SACD. While not all DVD video units can play DVD-A discs, every DVD-A player I have seen will also play DVD video discs. If it will only do DVD-A, then that seems pretty silly to me.

For more info on DVD-A, see a FAQ here:

http://www.digitalaudioguide.com/faq.../faq_intro.htm

Jeff
Sorry, I am a novice with some of this. I should have said music CDs, not audio DVDs. The sentance should read... music CDs in the slot above the screen. I am unfamiliar with DVD-A, so do not know if it will work. The manual says to never use a disc that has information on both sides of the disc. Doing so will damage the system.
Old 06-27-2003, 12:11 PM

Have you tried to use the voice control to enter in the address into the Nav?

amgB
Old 06-27-2003, 12:29 PM

LEXUS
Have you tried to use the voice control to enter in the address into the Nav?

amgB
I do not have the voice control option.
Old 06-27-2003, 12:58 PM

2007 E350 Sport Package
For me, this would be for use with a portable MP3 player. Specifically, my Apple iPod. Having a changer is great but an MP3 player with 1000s of songs on hand like the iPod is indispensable for me. I use it daily for portable listening. Having a true input jack built into the stock radio is much better that having to use an FM transmitter.

Jeff
My boss has an S500 and absolutlely swears by using the Ipod in his car.
Think about it. Literrally 1,000's of songs arranged any way you want.
beats the hell out of a 6 CD changer. Especially easy with a factory installed jack. (Go to the apple.com website for more info. on ipod) As an example the ipod that holds 3700 songs is $400 same as the CD changer for another $100 you can step up to the ipod that holds 7500 songs. I don;t know if i even KNOW 7,500 songs !

So much so that I am after my dealer to swap out the 6 CD change on my replacement vehicle for another option.

The only reason I got it in the first place was because the original NAV system was going to utilize the in-dashc changer for the NAV CD/DVD
Old 06-28-2003, 03:15 AM

When I introduce a CD or a DVD in the slot above the screen (european NAV) I see a special screen for about 2 seconds.
Attached Thumbnails Command II DVD Navigation for 03 Es has arrived-dvd.jpg  
Old 06-28-2003, 05:04 AM

clk430, e500
what about VCD?
Old 06-28-2003, 09:00 AM
drb

In the US nav, When I insert either an audio or dvd movie I receive this image.
Attached Thumbnails Command II DVD Navigation for 03 Es has arrived-img_0014.jpg  
Old 06-28-2003, 09:02 AM
drb

The music cd works well. However, the movie dvd produces the following image. This image is also generated when I insert the movie dvd in the navi dvd reader in the trunk.

KevinR, are there any buttons in the system that refer to dvd? I cannot find anything. When CDs are inserted I see the usual settings for a CD.
Attached Thumbnails Command II DVD Navigation for 03 Es has arrived-img_0015.jpg  

Last edited by drb; 06-28-2003 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-28-2003, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
Originally posted by KevinR
When I introduce a CD or a DVD in the slot above the screen (european NAV) I see a special screen for about 2 seconds.
What happens after you get that screen with the DVD? Does the movie play or does it cut off like drb's. You say you get that screen for about 2 seconds...then what?
Old 06-28-2003, 05:03 PM

one of seven
I think it's 1) software related (US vs ROW) and 2) also ROW probably gets a DVD/CD reader/player in the front top slot while US gets/keeps the CD reader/player.
Old 06-29-2003, 05:35 AM

Originally posted by drb
The music cd works well. However, the movie dvd produces the following image. This image is also generated when I insert the movie dvd in the navi dvd reader in the trunk.

KevinR, are there any buttons in the system that refer to dvd? I cannot find anything. When CDs are inserted I see the usual settings for a CD.
I have a Video Menu button (You have radio SAT menu I think) and DVD choice in this menu. If you take TV option, you have two more buttons: TV and AUX
Attached Thumbnails Command II DVD Navigation for 03 Es has arrived-cimg0049.jpg  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Command II DVD Navigation for 03 Es has arrived