E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Command II DVD Navigation for 03 Es has arrived

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-02-2003, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500 SPORT
Smile Alternative for Non Nav Cars

I am the newest member to the forum. I, like many of you ordered the NAV option in Dec. 2002 and had the same re-order
dance for July 03 delivery.

In the meantime having a trip to Fla. planned I picked up the NAVMAN i-630 for GPSSTORE.com.

This piece worked flawlessly and has the same screen and voice prompts as found in my Lexus SC 430.

If any of you have a need for one and want the recommendation here it is. The unit retails for $1000. GPS sold to me for $860.00.
I will try to post a jpeg this week in the E. Once the new car is delivered NAVAMAN goes into an Infiniti FX 35 .

Great forum and lots of good intel.

Derek.
Old 07-06-2003, 01:04 AM

e320 my2001
The "dynamic route guidance based on RDS-TMC"

The "dynamic route guidance based on RDS-TMC" does in-the-fly nav guidance redirection using data received via radio waves about traffic info. Unfortunately, that system is not used very much here in the US so it's unlikely we'd see such an option here. DRB has said that he doesn't see a Dynamic Route Guidance option in his system.

TMC is a European feature, supported by most European radio stations.
To make TMC work, one needs always current Traffic information, supplied by RDS-radio stations. About 20% of the US FM stations transmitt RDS signal but only few send and CODE traffic news.
Old 07-06-2003, 12:11 PM

Re: The "dynamic route guidance based on RDS-TMC"

Originally posted by Horst
The "dynamic route guidance based on RDS-TMC" does in-the-fly nav guidance redirection using data received via radio waves about traffic info. Unfortunately, that system is not used very much here in the US so it's unlikely we'd see such an option here. DRB has said that he doesn't see a Dynamic Route Guidance option in his system.

TMC is a European feature, supported by most European radio stations.
To make TMC work, one needs always current Traffic information, supplied by RDS-radio stations. About 20% of the US FM stations transmitt RDS signal but only few send and CODE traffic news.
I have TMC but unfortunately not most European radio stations use it. Not in Luxembourg, France or Belgium. I experience it in Germany and it's very useful.
Old 07-06-2003, 02:01 PM

e320 my2001
navi drive

The navi drive, mounted in the trunk's left side is used for the navi DVD only, in the US as well as in Europe.
Old 07-15-2003, 04:36 PM

drb/slipnby or anyone else who has received their replacement car with NAVI

What difference, if any, is there in the appearance of the antenna above the rear window?

Legacy
Old 07-15-2003, 05:46 PM
drb

03 E320, sport package, moon roof, sound upgrade, brilliant silver, charcoal leather, heated seats..
Re: drb/slipnby or anyone else who has received their replacement car with NAVI

Originally posted by Legacy
What difference, if any, is there in the appearance of the antenna above the rear window?

Legacy
There is no difference.
Old 07-15-2003, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
Re: Re: drb/slipnby or anyone else who has received their replacement car with NAVI

Originally posted by drb
There is no difference.
drb, i remember you posted a pic with the food options, i noticed that there would be more because te arrow is highlited, are there any more? and what are they if there are? thanks a lot
Old 07-15-2003, 06:22 PM
drb

03 E320, sport package, moon roof, sound upgrade, brilliant silver, charcoal leather, heated seats..
Re: Re: Re: drb/slipnby or anyone else who has received their replacement car with NAVI

Originally posted by bmms8
drb, i remember you posted a pic with the food options, i noticed that there would be more because te arrow is highlited, are there any more? and what are they if there are? thanks a lot
The list varies depending on your location. The system provides a list of restaurant types, american, indian, viet, itallian, etc. then you pick a type, then the system lists those around your geographic area by distance.
Old 07-15-2003, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
Re: Re: Re: Re: drb/slipnby or anyone else who has received their replacement car with NAVI

Originally posted by drb
The list varies depending on your location. The system provides a list of restaurant types, american, indian, viet, itallian, etc. then you pick a type, then the system lists those around your geographic area by distance.

wow, thats cool, they have indian food as a choice. lol, my panrets will love that, thanks for the info
Old 07-15-2003, 10:19 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
These features are neat, but I've had all these same features in my Honda navigation system since 2000 (plus it uses touch screen). I was really looking forward to the more exotic features as rumored such as the Traffic system and bluetooth, but looked like those are not in the US version...
Old 07-16-2003, 08:51 AM

LEXUS
Originally posted by abhansali
These features are neat, but I've had all these same features in my Honda navigation system since 2000 (plus it uses touch screen). I was really looking forward to the more exotic features as rumored such as the Traffic system and bluetooth, but looked like those are not in the US version...
Just about every car manufacturer with Navi is superior to MB. I had an Alpine Navi in my 98 E that had functions the current MB navi lacks. I suspect there just is not enough MB customer demand for navi to have MB take notice. I am not aware any navi system in the US can use the traffic system. If I recall correctly, the US infrastructure for this functionality is not ready. In many ways, the US electronic infrastructure is way behind many parts of the world especially with wireless and cell phone nets...mostly because of crippling regulations and fractured vendor systems.