Smart Key / Seat Memory

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2003, 03:40 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
Smart Key / Seat Memory

My search of the archives here produces earlier posts of this question, but no definitive (to me, at least) answers, so here goes:

With the key dependent feature set to "on," when I unlock the car using the remote, shouldn't the steering wheel, seat and mirrors return to the memorized position associated with that key? That is my understanding of how it should work, but the dealer says that on the E-class, I need to either insert the key in the ignition or press the memory button on the driver's door to activate the memory feature. The dealer seemed a little tentative on his explanation, so I'd appreciate some feedback from this group.

If the dealer's explanation is accurate, it seems like a design flaw - my Audi's remote activates the seat and mirror memory and I can't see why MB wouldn't use the same approach.

Thanks.
Old 06-27-2003, 05:17 PM

2013 GL550
rtrider - I thought it's supposed to work like the Audi. I don't use that feature since I'm the only one driving the car. I would have to dig out the manual to be sure.

Didn't you use to be over on AudiWorld in the S4 group??

Bruce
Old 06-27-2003, 05:27 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 E500
Originally posted by BMcD-E500
Didn't you use to be over on AudiWorld in the S4 group??

Bruce
Bruce,
No, that wasn't me - I have an A6, but have never posted on the AudiWorld board. You might be confusing me with someone over in the S4 group who can't decipher his owner's manual, either .
Old 06-27-2003, 05:44 PM

2013 GL550
I had a tough time trying to set up the key thing and gave up. Maybe you have more patience. Good luck!!
Old 06-28-2003, 02:53 AM
Almost a Member!

The smart key recall doesn't happen until the key is the ignition. MB's logic is for the key to remember the last settings, (seat, mirrors, steering wheel), plus climate control (HVAC) settings when the key was last removed from the ignition. This memory is discreet from the memory settings on the door pad. It is not redundant with door pad memory settings. If the feature is on and you removed the key and the HVAC settings were for example (max blower at 80 degrees and you had moved the seat, steering and mirrors from their stored memory positions before removing the key), when you enter the car again and insert the key these settings are the ones the key will recall. Key dependent settings "ON" has priority over door pad stored memory positions.