E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Rate the Lowering Kits

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 10:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350
Rate the Lowering Kits

I'm getting the itch to lower my W211 just a bit to improve the looks and add a bit of performance also. Nothing crazy. I may go to 19" wheels later on. (love the HRE's), but the AMG wheels I have now look good.

Anyway, after some research it appears that there are 3 options. (actually there are 2 ways to do it, but 3 companies making kits.

The first and most common method is changing out the springs. The 2 companies using this method are:

1) Eibach. Seems to be the most popular brand, but there are plenty of complaints about fit and adjusting camber after installing the springs.
2) H&R. Appears to be almost identical to the Eibach kit in contents and installation. The only complaints I have found were concerning ride harshness. Seems the H&R's are stiffer than the Eibach's.

Now, both of these kits claim a 1-2" drop. I've measured my car and that's a pretty deep drop and I'm concerned about clearance over speed bumps and driveways. Not to mention split fenders which I found several examples of online.

Both of these kits are the same price and pretty cheap (under $300.00) and like I said, appear to be the same as far as install and adjustment.

The 3rd option is the KW Coilover system where coilover units replace the factory spring/shock set-up. It offers much more adjust ability. Not just ride height, but ride firmness is adjustable also. The ride height is adjustable with a simple turn of a collar at all 4 wheels so that I can fine tune the ride height for clearance and performance. The firmness is adjustable with a turn of a knob, which would be a nice option. KW is a major motorsports shock and suspension company so they have a lot of experience in the performance and racing field. However, these benefits come with a steep cost. The KW Coilover Kit comes in at a whopping $2000.00.

The installation of any of the three will be comparable. The KW system may be a bit easier since there is no mention of having major camber change problems like those with the other 2. None however, would be a major problem.

Anyway, if anyone has experience with any of these (in particular the KW's) please post them up.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 E55, '82 Porsche 911SC, '83 DeLorean
Im in the same boat as you wondering the same thing. My main issue with the H&R's and other spring set-ups is that it looks like the front sits slightly higher than the back. I've heard that you can adjust this through using different sized shims, but have not gotten a straight answer.

Looking forward to following the post and seeing what people say.