E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Nav DVD

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E320
Nav DVD

We inherited a 2005 E320 with 58K. It has the Nav system but no DVD. Should I buy a 2005 DVD or get the newest DVD?
Old 03-13-2012, 01:18 AM

2013 CLS550, 2013 GLK350 4-Matic
Depends on how much you travel. eBay has the older versions for $60 where the 2012 v11 from Navteq goes for $249. I use the nav a lot in So Cal and when I travel, so having the latest maps are important to me. The 2008 version that came with my car had several new key freeway segments missing. I also understand that the new map disks can also add a little more functionality (but I'm not sure exactly what). But you may find you don't really use the as much as I do. Another option is the portable units from Garmin, Tom Tom, and the like. $250 will buy a very nice unit with lifetime map updates and traffic data.
Mike
Old 03-13-2012, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
Pm sent to you/
Old 03-14-2012, 12:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E500 & ML500
If you're going to spend $60+ on a nav DVD, I would say forget it. That money would be better spent, purchasing a newer standalone unit. Which can be transferred to other cars if needed.

Our Navigation system is really outdated (I have the latest DVD version). One major fault for me, is that when it routes, it gives you a range of house numbers (instead of an exact house number). Therefore when I input my house, it tells me to turn left (instead of right), since the range of houses begins on the left side.

I have a separate stand alone navigation system, which I bring along with me. Which I use in "new areas" .

Last edited by wampa; 03-14-2012 at 12:46 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:13 AM

2013 CLS550, 2013 GLK350 4-Matic
Originally Posted by wampa
Our Navigation system is really outdated (I have the latest DVD version). One major fault for me, is that when it routes, it gives you a range of house numbers (instead of an exact house number). Therefore when I input my house, it tells me to turn left (instead of right), since the range of houses begins on the left side.
I hate that. However, (if you are lucky) the place you are going is in the Point of Interest library. Most hotels, major shopping centers, airports, arenas, etc. are in the POI list. The MB nav system will take you to the exact location for POIs. Most folks home addresses sadly are not.
Mike
Old 03-14-2012, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by wampa
.... it gives you a range of house numbers (instead of an exact house number). Therefore when I input my house, it tells me to turn left (instead of right), since the range of houses begins on the left side...
You obviously have not noticed rhat when it gives you a range of addresses list the first line is odd addresses and the next line is even addresses and the lines alternate odd even odd even. So if you choose the correct line on the list it will take you to the correct side of the street.

Also, depending on the number of houses on the street, the range list gets smaller and larger so in reality, it will take you to within 100 feet of where you want be. 100 feet is roughly 6 car lenghths.

Its biggest fault is the clumsy method of address entry, (No virtual keypad) and also a street named "South Park Drive" always has to be entered compass direction last as in "Park Drive South".

With all its faults, its better for me than having wires dangling, and a windshield mounted suction cup mounted or dash top nav unit vibrating and sliding around.

Also... are you SURE your car has NAV? Remember, just because it has a large screen with a cd slot over it and a NAV button does NOT mean the car was built with Nav. The nav unit is in the trunk in the left fender.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 03-14-2012 at 09:18 AM.