E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Annoying Vibration (and dealer) Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 E550
Angry Annoying Vibration (and dealer) Help!

I have a 2009 E 550 RWD that has an annoying vibration that can be felt in the floor and heard at approximately 50 to 80 mph. The dealer has replaced the tires with new Michelin PSS, changed the motor mounts, and aligned the car three times. The dealer has now stated to me that "they" are satisfied!

I am meeting with the dealer tomorrow to discuss the issue again and would appreciate any information what this vibration might be. I have asked them to check the flex discs, support bearing and driveshaft balance, but so far, they refuse. The car is still under warranty by the way.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated...........
Old 03-28-2012, 08:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by pa24pilot
I have a 2009 E 550 RWD that has an annoying vibration that can be felt in the floor and heard at approximately 50 to 80 mph. The dealer has replaced the tires with new Michelin PSS, changed the motor mounts, and aligned the car three times. The dealer has now stated to me that "they" are satisfied!

I am meeting with the dealer tomorrow to discuss the issue again and would appreciate any information what this vibration might be. I have asked them to check the flex discs, support bearing and driveshaft balance, but so far, they refuse. The car is still under warranty by the way.

Your course is correct. But did they also check for bent rims when changing tires.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:31 AM

2007 E550 RWD

Had the same issue awhile back with my 2007 E550. We've replaced all 4 wheels and tires under the suspicion that the wheels were bent. Then we aligned and balanced the wheels and tires several times without success. After multiple suspension checks, etc. etc. it turned out to be the bent steering knuckle that occurred when my sister drove the car and hit a curb (which she failed to mention). After the knuckle replacement, all is well. Hope this helps.

-Dave
Old 03-28-2012, 02:30 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
The dealer has now stated to me that "they" are satisfied!
Has the MB rep covering dealership been involved and if not, request the SM bring him into the loop.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:33 PM

2009 E550
Took a ride with the SM today. Still no help. He said that he thinks it is the road I am feeling (even thought he and another manager both admit they feel "something") and they are unwilling to do more. I asked them to find another 550e with around the same miles that I can drive and if it shakes, I will agree that it is an "e class" issue and leave them alone. Otherwise, I want the $2&**!! thing fixed and my tire money back (the Continentials they replaced were less than a year old). Oh yeah, they say the rims are straight, the flex discs are good and the carrier bearing is fine.

I can't believe the arrogant attitude I am getting from the dealer...and my wife is telling me "I told you to buy a BMW" (like that helps)..

Thanks for all of your help and input. I will update everyone as the saga continues and I work my way up the MB corporate ladder...
Old 03-30-2012, 08:58 AM

2007 E550 RWD
Took a ride with the SM today. Still no help. He said that he thinks it is the road I am feeling (even thought he and another manager both admit they feel "something") and they are unwilling to do more. I asked them to find another 550e with around the same miles that I can drive and if it shakes, I will agree that it is an "e class" issue and leave them alone. Otherwise, I want the $2&**!! thing fixed and my tire money back (the Continentials they replaced were less than a year old). Oh yeah, they say the rims are straight, the flex discs are good and the carrier bearing is fine.

I can't believe the arrogant attitude I am getting from the dealer...and my wife is telling me "I told you to buy a BMW" (like that helps)..

Thanks for all of your help and input. I will update everyone as the saga continues and I work my way up the MB corporate ladder...
I can cetainly understand the frustration. I've owned several cars throughout my life and came across this issue with various other cars. Here are some of the fixes that I've come across aside from wheel and tire balance.

1. The driveshaft was found unbalanced. At high speeds it vibrated the whole car.

2. One of the shocks (rear driverside in my case) had a bad weld.

3. Tie rod end had gone bad and needed replacement.

4. Ball joint (front passenger side in my case) gave and needed replacement.

Mind you, these aren't things that happened on my mercedes but still applicable. Unfortunately, many MANY other things can cause the symptom you have described. Hopefully checking these things (many can be done yourself) may help you solve the issue. Good luck.

-Dave
Old 03-30-2012, 09:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
chassy harmonics can cause all sorts of vibrations. When the harmonic is between 50/80 it can be easily felt. Doesn't mean any specific thing is out of balance but when all the minor imbalance line up at the same frequency a harmonic is established. AN IRD mechanalysis test equipment can read the frequency of vibration which by rpm multiples will tell you the rotational rpm of the unit. Then it is a simple matter to find what unit is the exciter. From that you examine it to look for items that cause it to vibrate. Items like covered above from 1 thru 4. Solve the one (it might be individually in balance but causing the harmonics). MB won't have this equipment it is very expensive and in 1975 cost $25,000 for the unit. Given the low use of MB looking for this problem they won't have one. This problem however is solvable if there is a real problem. I know it is difficult and frustratiing but you either have to look at all the details working with the dealer (don't become hostile in difficult times). Keep them on your side. But you must get acknowledgement the problem exist. From what I read the dealer is not believing you have a problem. Drive a identical car on same road and see if you feel same vibration.. If so design in the car can't be fixed. If not you have the problem in your car. I wish you the best. Sorry I can't help with IRD unit as I got out of the business in 2002