2009 Comand Failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 01:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 Jaguar FT-R
2009 Comand Failure

Could not find a thread to match this so for info:

On Sunday our E350 would not start. battery was dead and of course everything else shutdown. Second time this has happened...last time was 16 months ago. It is not possible to leave anything on, but i double checked. Recharged battery and when I was done I had a bunch of Comand problems.
Neither radio worked, nor did voice control nor audio on the phone. Navi and CD player worked fine.
Drove 2 hours to my dealer and left it for a day. They replaced the satellite control unit, reflashed everything, installed some updates and all seems well again. They even called Sirius to give them the new ESN and activated the radio.
They think the Comand failure caused the battery drain, but then they thought it was something else the first time. Of course I am worried because who likes to get out to the car and find the battery dead? They ran a bunch of tests and could find nothing wrong.
I have now purchased a cigarette lighter voltmeter to monitor battery voltage with the ignition on and the engine off. Cannot easily put a maintainer on these beasts as the battery terminals are in the trunk and the lighters are off with the key off.
Larry
Old 04-03-2012, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 E500
Cigarette lighter in dash can be powered continuously:

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...er-always.html
Old 04-03-2012, 02:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 Jaguar FT-R
I will have to look for the fwd fuse box as I have only found the dash and trunk fuse blocks.
Larry
Edit: I found and moved the fuse. Now I can plug a battery tender into the cig lighter. But, it stresses me to think I need to do this with daily driving. This is a workaround for an underlying problem.

Last edited by lsbrodsky; 04-03-2012 at 04:32 PM.