E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Loud Brake Noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loud Brake Noise

Is there anything thats need to be changed with the sbc brakes, because i get a buzzing noise and vibratoin somtimes, when i turn the steering wheel full, and turn off and turn on the car. IS THIS NORMAL!

HELP!

THANKS
Old 07-02-2003, 08:15 PM

2007 E350 Sport
brake noise

I have a brief squeal (like tennis shoe on basketball court) when I step on the brake. It is heard and annoying especially at low speeds such as when leaving a parking spot. Had this "fixed" recently and is worse. No lights are on and everything seems in working order. Anyone else with the problem?
Old 07-02-2003, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
when you wash the car, use the hose to flush out the brake pad area. also, next time driving at highway speed with no one behind you, do a hard braking stop to try and take the glaze off the pads.
Old 07-03-2003, 02:07 PM

2007 E350 Sport
brake squeak

Thanks NYCA.....it's worth a try.
Old 07-03-2003, 02:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
13 E550 Cabriolet/19 SL550
Brake noise

I also get the intermittant buzzing and grinding noise from the electronic braking system. It does not come from the brake pads but from the electronic braking system. I've had it in twice for fixing. Last time they installed an anti-buzz kit in the system which made it worse. The mechanic says it is normal. I'm bringing it in next Thursday along with a wav file on CD containing the noise. It is very loud and irritating.
Old 07-03-2003, 02:50 PM

The squeal just started on mine today, very annoying
Old 07-03-2003, 09:05 PM

2007 E350 Sport
The problem with mine is not a

buzz rather a squeal or squeak but sounds like it's coming from the brake pedal not the brakes itself. The dealer too made it worse.

Trending Topics

Old 07-03-2003, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
of course, sounds like grinding or rattling should be investigated. But the traditional brake squeal is usually a low speed, low brake force event. The brakes on these European cars were not designed for American braking habits; slow speeds, low brake pedal force, all the time, because of the nature of our roads and congestion in metro areas.
Old 07-04-2003, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1998 C230
ive been getting sqeaks when i softly brake. no squeaks when i stomp on the brakes hard.

the LED on my dash hasnt come yet at all either.

what could it be?

i had my mechanic check the pads when i had my tires rotated and he said they were fine. from my own inspection it looked like i had a lil rust on the rotors... could that be it?
Old 07-04-2003, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
Originally posted by nyca
...The brakes on these European cars were not designed for American braking habits; slow speeds, low brake pedal force, all the time, because of the nature of our roads and congestion in metro areas.
Have you been to EU lately? I just got back on Monday and the traffic in all of the big cities was worse than anyplace I've seen in the US.

You do have a point, however, I have seen excessive material buildup on the brake rotors after my wife has been driving (long slow stops under light pressure). Seems to go away quickly when I drive (roadrace/trail braking - drives her nuts!). Could this really cause buzzing with the new braking system as RandomX5 describes?
Old 07-04-2003, 12:38 PM

2007 E350 Sport
My experience with

the brake squeak is like that described by ricewind. It only occurs with gentle brake application such as when leaving parking space, not with hard braking. I still think it's coming from the pedal itself.
Old 07-05-2003, 11:52 AM

E320 MB sedan
Loud Brake Noise

I too was hearing a noise-sounded like an air pump. Dealer says it was the brake system pump and installed an air pump in line muffler per MB tech note. The muffler really quieted the noise so it is only noticeable when the windows are open

Appears the pump works intermitteltly to maintain some brake pressure-and yes the pump goes on sometimes when I open the car door in the morning after sitting all night
Old 07-05-2003, 12:47 PM

E500
Loud Brake Noise

Do you have any other details of the work they did? I took mine in for this noise, and I was told it is normal for the senotronic pump to make the noise. It's way too loud to be considered "normal", so I'd like to tell them what your dealership did for you. Thanks
Old 07-06-2003, 12:44 PM

2007 E350 Sport
Are you guys talking

about the loud air compressor-like noise that comes on when you occasionally open a door or deploy the brake pedal? I'm talking only about the pedal squeak .
Old 07-08-2003, 04:27 PM

Brake Noise

My brakes squeak too during slow stops, like stopping for a red light or in stop-and-go traffic. I took the car to the shop last month and they replaced the pads although they told me the pads were ok. The noise is back so now I have to take the car back to the shop. It definitely is not the brake pedal, but the brake pads or braking system because I can hear the squeaking when my window is down.
Old 07-08-2003, 05:54 PM

2001 ML320
Never noticed a squeak myself and hadn't heard about it.

Definately get that loud honking pump-like sound almost each morning when I open a door and even sometimes right after I turn the engine off. I too would be interested in hearing about the air pump muffler service bulletin as I'd like to get one too. The noise is unbecoming for this car, sounds like it is belching loudly!
Old 07-08-2003, 08:03 PM

2007 E350 Sport
joseesq

I think your problem and mine are different because mine is heard INSIDE the car. Both are aggravating though .
Old 07-15-2003, 05:31 PM

13 E550 Cabriolet/19 SL550
I also get the intermittant buzzing and grinding noise from the electronic braking system. It does not come from the brake pads but from the electronic braking system. I've had it in twice for fixing. Last time they installed an anti-buzz kit in the system which made it worse. The mechanic says it is normal. I'm bringing it in next Thursday along with a wav file on CD containing the noise. It is very loud and irritating.

Got the car back yesterday. The mechanic finally found a brake line on the right side of the firewall that had popped out of the retaining clip. He reinstalled line and "resecured clip with modified component". The use of the "modified component" probably means that the original clip design wasn't adequate. The vibration is now gone.