E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2008 E550 Trans. Downshifts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 06:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BENZ - 2008 - E550
2008 E550 Trans. Downshifts

Greetings All, the transmission in this car has downshifted while driving at low speed in the city into low gear and will not shift out of low gear until I turn the car off and restart it.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Old 05-05-2012, 09:26 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
W211 E63
Originally Posted by RBJR
Greetings All, the transmission in this car has downshifted while driving at low speed in the city into low gear and will not shift out of low gear until I turn the car off and restart it.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Are you maybe throwing it into a lower gear with the paddle shifts? or the gear selector?. When it downshifts into the lower gear does it still say C (comfort) or S (sport) in the cluster by the mileage, or does it have numbers 1 or 2 ect.

Assuming you have the paddle shifters, have you tried holding the right shifter for about 2 secs so it shifts into auto.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:33 AM

BENZ - 2008 - E550
Down Shifting

Hey, thanks for a quick response. I just purchased this car and it is my first Benz. Purchased it from Carmax with under 40,000 miles. Always had BMW but love this benz.

With regard to your reply, I don't yet have the owners manual, service manual and command manual. I had to order that from MB.

The only question I can answer is the panel does say C. I have no idea what those other points you suggested mean or how to get to them?
Old 05-05-2012, 09:46 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
W211 E63
Your car may or may not have paddle shifters right behind the steering column. I was suggesting you may have accidentally engaged manual mode. But if its in C or S its in automatic mode, so that doesn't apply. I can't really tell if what you describe is normal or not but,

If you can't find the solution and possibly wanna quick fix, you can try resetting the transmission. I'm not sure it will fix your problem, but its worth a shot, plus the transmission computer will learn your driving style.

1) sit in the car and put in the key.
2) turn the key so that the dash board lights up and radio is on, but DON"T START THE ENGINE.
3) while you have your key turned to that position, Hold the brake for a count of 5 seconds.
4) While still holding your foot on the brake turn your key into the OFF position, but still keep the key in the socket.
5) After you turned your key off, LET GO of the brake.
6) wait for 2 mins.

Your transmission will reset. But be careful as it will be very responsive. It will take about 40 shifts for the computer to learn how you drive. So take it easy, or go hard .

I would hold off on the reset for now, until maybe other members chime in what may be going on.

Good luck
Old 05-05-2012, 09:51 AM

BENZ - 2008 - E550
E550

Thanks for that information! I know I sound like an idiot buying a car without the owners manual but it is in great condition with low miles for an 2008. It has not been easy getting the "Owners Manual" from MB either.

I am going out to the car now to check behind the steering column to see if I have "paddle shifters".

When I described the problem to my mechanic he mentioned it could possibly be the valve body or control in the transmission. As you know this is why I would need to nail this down asap. If it is in transmission I am still under full warranty coverage.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:06 AM

BENZ - 2008 - E550
E550

No paddle shifters that I can see. Nothing behind the steering wheel that suggest paddle shifters.
Attached Thumbnails 2008 E550 Trans. Downshifts-benz-e-550.jpg  
Old 05-05-2012, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by RBJR
Thanks for that information! I know I sound like an idiot buying a car without the owners manual but it is in great condition with low miles for an 2008. It has not been easy getting the "Owners Manual" from MB either.

I am going out to the car now to check behind the steering column to see if I have "paddle shifters".

When I described the problem to my mechanic he mentioned it could possibly be the valve body or control in the transmission. As you know this is why I would need to nail this down asap. If it is in transmission I am still under full warranty coverage.
The owners manual is posted online at MBUSA.com where you register as an owner and log in. You can even download the PDF and reference it on your own computer which is nice because of the PDF search function.

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/owners/owners_online
Old 05-05-2012, 10:37 AM

BENZ - 2008 - E550
Thanks!