E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Source for 05 E500 4matic front CV axle..?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 E500 4matic, 08 ML320CDI
Source for 05 E500 4matic front CV axle..?

While replacing my front brakes/rotors this week, I noticed the left inner CV boot failed again on my 05 E500 4matic and this time it looks like the CV joint is shot (full of dirt and grit). I've been looking at all the usual places I buy MB parts for my car (Arizona Autohaus, etc. ) but can't find anyone that has an axle assembly in stock... Anyone have a source for an axle assembly for my car other than the dealer...? I've hit no less than 15 websites and no one has one in stock... The best option I can find is "A1 Cardone" which will remanufacture my axle but won't deal directly with the public so I have to have a car parts store send it in, etc.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:03 AM

I just found another option in Denver called CVJ Axles, Inc , www.cvjreman.com... They stock or can rebuild the stock MB axles and make some improvements to the pressed on can which is what has failed on my axle in addition to the boot. They state that the MB axles are better quality and stronger than the aftermarket axles that are out there, mostly Chinese junk...
Old 05-07-2012, 11:29 AM

So reman through CVJ axle is $360.00 plus shipping... Local Dealer wants $1096.00 for the replacement axle...

Reman it is...
Old 05-18-2012, 07:44 AM

E500
Looks like I need a new passenger side front axle as well. How did it go with CVJ? Quality, delivery, core return, etc. Thanks.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:44 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 Mercedes E500, 2008 Mercedes ML350
For what it's worth, I just had an involved experience with CVJ Axles, and it worked out well.

I actually bought a remanufactured steering rack from them for our ML350, but I had researched them when I thought I needed an axle for our E500.

It's hard to find anyone who says anything bad about their work (which is a big deal when they have been in business 30 years with the same owner). They build and rebuild axles and racks for NASCAR, primarily Roush Racing, as well as other racing groups, and their web site, although simple, gives one a good sense of the pride they take in their work and their expertise in the field. If you email them, you usually get a nice email back from their founder/president, Steve. It seems like he basically sits down every night and answers his accumulated emails, so you won't get an instant response. That's what the telephone is for.

The way they work is simple. You call them and tell them what you need. The lady who answers the phone is very knowledgeable. If they have a good core in-house (and they have a lot of Mercedes cores), you can order it over the phone and they will make you a rack or axle that day and send it to you. If they don't, you can send them your core and they will turn it around when they receive it and send it back. She says that if you call in advance, they can turn your axle around the same day. The prices are consistent with what is posted above.

One alternative if they don't have your rack or axle core is a company called Brinson, which CVJ refers people to if they don't have a core in stock. The Brinson Company is one of I think several companies that buy and stockpile CVJ-remanufactured products for local foreign car mechanics. They get a markup, and they are a high-service organization. Near their offices, they will bring over a rack or axle to the mechanic the same day. On the axles, Brinson seems to mark them up about $100; I don't know about the racks.

So...when I needed an axle that CVJ didn't have a core for, I called Brinson's office in Connecticut. The guy there said that he had a CVJ-reman axle in stock that he could send out right then for UPS Ground delivery to Long Island the next day. I didn't need to take him up on it, but I kept the arrangement in mind.

When we needed a steering rack for our ML350, Partsgeek didn't have the Maval reman rack that my mechanic said would do (he won't install Cardone), nor did anyone else. The OE rack was very expensive. Then I remembered that CVJ Axles also did steering racks. I called them and they didn't have a core for my rack, so I called Brinson again. They did have a completed CVJ-reman rack in stock and ready to ship, and the guy had a very knowledgeable discussion with me about what my mechanic would need. I paid for it over the phone and, true to his word, it was in my hands the next day by UPS Ground ($25 for the 26-pound item in a huge box). My mechanic inspected it and pronounced it satisfactory, and it was a nice piece of work. It installed and adjusted smoothly, and it runs like a champ with no leaks and a nice feel when driving. I returned my core to Brinson and we are all set. The CVJ/Brinson product was priced above what Partsgeek gets for the Maval when it has it in stock, but was roughly the same as what a Cardone or Maval rack would cost at Advance or NAPA or the guys who sell parts at a larger markup than fabulous Partsgeek does. And it appears to be the meticulous piece of work that they say it is.

I would assume the same is true for their axles, which is really what they built their stellar reputation on.

CORE RETURN: I should just add that I sent my core back to Brinson in Connecticut by FedEx Ground. I sent it on Friday, and they got it about 8:30am Monday morning. I had paid by debit card from my checking account, and by Thursday, the core deposit money was back in my checking account and available for my use. It cleared overnight on Wednesday. That is certainly plenty fast...2-3 days. YMMV, of course, but that was very good in my mind.

Last edited by wjcandee; 12-04-2015 at 08:25 AM.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
2009 E550 2000 Honda civic mash n' go
You could always repair the axle yourself!!!!!!
Old 12-03-2015, 05:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E320 & X166
You can do this job yourself but the parts are still expensive. I've heard of kits to rebuild your own axle but its time consuming and dirty. The dealership in Lincoln, NE offers them for 30% off if you want original MB ones. Still expensive but much less than your local guys.
Good luck!

***I replaced the left front axle 3 times in my old X5, One car I will NOT miss.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4matic woesssss..... 2wd ftw!
Old 12-04-2015, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
No, you can't rebuild CV joint yourself as this require about 2 million dollars worth machinery.
But you can replace boots and grease, that cost $110 at dealer. I made pictorial about it in this section.
MB boots last over 10 years, when I have yet to hear about somebody making more than 2 years on new Chinese axle.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:14 AM

Just a follow up on this thread after running the CVJ reman axle since I posted this in 2012... The inner boot on the CVJ axle was completely separated along the seam and the inner CV is full of dirt and greasy grit again, diagnosed in 6/2017. I pulled the axles and contacted CVJ about having them rebuilt just to see what they would charge me to rebuild their axles after only 5 years of use on them... They said both CV axles needed to be completely rebuilt again, at full cost of $365.00 per axle, plus another $50 for the inner can for the Pass side axle (which I did not send them because it was damaged during removal)... I decided that since their reman axles/parts (boots...!) don't seem to last very long, I am looking elsewhere to solve this issue again... From my experience with these axles, the boots are obviously the weak link, as it seems everytime I inspect them, they are either torn or leaking somewhere... Just not a geat design IMHO...
Old 07-11-2017, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
The design is about 50 years old and works great, especially on FWD Volkswagens.
But if you don't check the boots and cheapen up on new parts, who is here to blame.
As far as I experienced, original joints should last 300,000 miles easy.. if you replace OEM boots about every 10 years.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by sdunham
Just a follow up on this thread after running the CVJ reman axle since I posted this in 2012... The inner boot on the CVJ axle was completely separated along the seam and the inner CV is full of dirt and greasy grit again, diagnosed in 6/2017. I pulled the axles and contacted CVJ about having them rebuilt just to see what they would charge me to rebuild their axles after only 5 years of use on them... They said both CV axles needed to be completely rebuilt again, at full cost of $365.00 per axle, plus another $50 for the inner can for the Pass side axle (which I did not send them because it was damaged during removal)... I decided that since their reman axles/parts (boots...!) don't seem to last very long, I am looking elsewhere to solve this issue again... From my experience with these axles, the boots are obviously the weak link, as it seems everytime I inspect them, they are either torn or leaking somewhere... Just not a geat design IMHO...

If the axle itself isn't noisy, it's way more cost effective to purchase boot repair kits and either do them yourself or pay someone to do them. You can buy an aftermarket 300 dollar axle if you want, but the boots are always going to tear and leak at some point again.

Any vehicle with a transmission is going to have at least 2 or 4 cv axles. Design isn't poor per say, just the fact that 4matics suspension geometry aren't exactly friendly to the rubber boots.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:16 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 Mercedes E500, 2008 Mercedes ML350
Originally Posted by sdunham
Axle boots tear. That's just a fact. One of the original MB boots on our 2004 E500 tore after "only" 5 years as well. And our dealer kindly replaced it with a brand-new one for $1200 plus labor. The other took about 10 years to tear. CVJ's stuff is top-quality, and, on average, should last just as long as the OE axle.

I am here personally to tell you that the "new" aftermarket stuff, while it often looks very nice, is likely to fail in 2 years or less. At least that was my experience, and it wasn't the boot that was the problem. The CVJ reman of my original MB axle appears to be of exceptional quality.