E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Second Guessing Colors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E550
Second Guessing Colors

I ordered my E500 set up just the way I wanted and in the colors I wanted. I, like others, anguished over the color choices. Also, I, probably like others, have had second thoughts about my color choice. Would one of the blacks look more sporty? Would one of the silvers look classy? Would Platinum Blue look more unique?

Well, after having driven this car for 3000 miles I have come to a conclusion. The color doesn't mean anything compared to what's underneath it. This is one of the finest "do it all" automobiles made. Every day I drive it this feeling is reinforced and becomes stronger as I become more and more comfortable in the car and all of it's capabilities.

Like I tell friends. "If I had to have only one automobile to drive for all occasions (which is true except for my wife's QX4) and money was NO object I would buy this car and no other".

So, I have stopped second guessing my color choice and concentrate on the fact that for my purposes I have the best car money can buy.

My humble thoughts. Get into your ride!
Attached Thumbnails Second Guessing Colors-mborg12.jpg  
Old 07-07-2003, 06:19 PM

'14 SL550
I agree! Last year when I ordered my E500 I was not sure how the color choice would look (Desert Silver/Stone). When the car came, I loved it. Now that I have changed colors on my NAV replacement (Pewter/Charcoal), I'm second guessing my choice but when the car comes I'm sure that I'll love it.

You are correct, get in the car and drive it. It is a great car although with the warm sunny weather we've had lately I've left the E500 in the driveway and have been driving my convertible - our season is short here in Boston.

Happy driving!
Old 07-07-2003, 09:59 PM

Last Monday, I ordered an '04 E500
4matic. I chose brilliant silver with charcoal interior. The colors look ex-
cellent with the shape of the car. Hope my impression is helpful, but I'm sure
this car would look great in almost any
color.
Old 07-08-2003, 05:01 PM
BEC

E-500
I would agree that members have given you some great advice - at the end of the day, you will love the color combination. Of course, we all had to choose a single exterior color and interior color. Well, what a tough decision with so many competing choices. Enjoy your ride.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:29 PM

good post STK

Your right,you have one of the worlds best cars.... period.Be happy with the color and enjoy it until its time for a new one.I agonized over silver/white silver/white.I had several silver cars in a row and it seems every benz you see around here is silver,so I just went with my gut and took the white.I am soooo happy that I havent agonized over the choice once since I got it.With the Lorinser kit and the 19's in chrome along with the subtle chrome accents from the factory,and the chrome exhaust tips,the car looks very uniform and it stands out like crazy,its HOT. The only thing is,I have washed it about 3 times in the past week,you really have to keep white clean,or else the spotting from the road etc. will take over.Thats one thing about brilliant silver,its so easy to maintain,but again I just got bored with it.In the end,all of us should be happy,we don't actually own just a car,these are AUTOMOBILES,engineering at its best.Along with a Breitling or a Rolex on your wrist,nothing quite says "success" like a Benz........
Old 07-09-2003, 02:53 PM

2003 E500
Virtually Every Color is a Jewel

It's funny but you responded to my same concern a few weeks ago (mine is a black/charcoal E500). I happen to think that your tectite grey is stunning and quite rare. My wife told me to get it but I didn't want to wait. She's almost always right about things relating to color (and I hate to admit it). In fact, it you don't specifically order that color, chances are that you'll never find it on a dealer lot. I found that most dealers order black and silver, which we all know are common MB choices. The problem I find in looking at other new E211's on the road is that NONE of them are clean! Every color looks awful when its dirty.

My hat is off to those who strayed a bit from the mainstream (tectite, platinum blue, jade black, bourdeaux, and even white). Just think how many E's will be sold over the next 7 years. Probably 33% will be silver, 10-15% black, and 15-20% in the pewter, desert silver category. Yours will be the standout. As for me, well, I'll be polishing out the spider webs and putting the car cover on every time I need to park (in fear of bird goo).

Enjoy your color!
Old 07-09-2003, 03:52 PM

2010 E550
flat6,

I wouldn't be second guessing black charcoal! That is a great color combo. Have you seen the pics of mbprince's? It's beautiful. The one thing I really like about black is that if you like to putter with your car and detail it then when you are done with detailing a black E500 it is stunning and you can really enjoy the results of your efforts.

My dealer had one tectite E320 which I looked at for color but had no more till I ordered mine and it was delivered. I don't know if it's good or bad but the sales manager liked it so much in the E500 Sport that he ordered one for inventory. Hopefully he'll sell it to someone that doesn't live near here.

However, I just can't get over the fact that these cars are so wonderfully engineered. The more I learn the "feel" of the car the more I love it. I had no idea when I ordered it that the car's performance, handling and comfort would be this good. You certainly can't tell from a test drive.

Before I had this one I had a 98 E430. I felt as though I had experienced and utilized it's limits within 6 months of getting it. I'm not so sure that I will reach that point so quickly (if at all) with this one.

It's great being a car nut! I photograph my car like it was a new baby:
Attached Thumbnails Second Guessing Colors-mborg18.jpg  
Old 07-10-2003, 06:39 PM

'14 SL550
STKLAW

I was looking at the pictures of your car - it looks great!

It looks like you have removed the Three Pointed Star from your hood, is this true. Maybe it is just the way that it looks in the pictures.
Old 07-10-2003, 06:50 PM

2010 E550
Re: STKLAW

Originally posted by clembo
I was looking at the pictures of your car - it looks great!

It looks like you have removed the Three Pointed Star from your hood, is this true. Maybe it is just the way that it looks in the pictures.
I replaced the Star with a flat hood ornament like the SL and others. I think it makes it look a bit sportier.

Here's a view that shows it better.
Attached Thumbnails Second Guessing Colors-mborg13.jpg  
Old 07-10-2003, 07:17 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 e320
stklaw, where did you get your emblem: thebenzbin, performance products, ? you're right, e looks sportier with it.
Old 07-10-2003, 07:22 PM

2010 E550
Originally posted by usafvet
stklaw, where did you get your emblem: thebenzbin, performance products, ? you're right, e looks sportier with it.
Performance products.
Old 07-10-2003, 09:54 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 CL500
cool

awesome picture

Old 07-12-2003, 07:09 PM

2000 E320 2009 E550
I wanted a Black E500 with a Charcoal interior with the Bi-Xenon Headlamps, In-dash 6-CD Changer, Harman/Kardon Sound System and Glass Sunroof, Heated Front Seats. There was no local match for the car.

I settled for a Black Exterior, Ash Interior, Black birdseye maple wood interior trim, E2 Package Harman/Kardon Sound System and Glass Sunroof, E3 Sport Package with the Bi-Xenon Headlamps and the optional 60/40 folding rear seats.

The Bose Sound in my E320 seems to sound a little better. The Ash Interior is very light. The car handles very well.

I am still under 1,000 miles and have not had any problems.