E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

What do you E class owners think of C class owners?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 04:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy E class owners should not hate on C class owners... shameful.

I just received a private message from a new E class owner from this forum, in particular, who told me that my C class coupe is not a real mercedes. I just kind of disagree with him, even though I am slightly apathetic about his opinion. He will remain nameless.

Gentlemen, I only have a 2003 C230 coupe with a 1.8 engine (189 hp), and every single option except for heated seats. I love the Xenon headlights and disc changer. I am currently installing the H&R cupkit and the AMG anti-roll bars (handling sucked, but not anymore). I will post pictures on the C forum, but I digress.

Why do you guys with E class look down on C class? Why tell me that I don't have a real Mercedes? Hey, you basturds: I paid cash for my C230 coupe, and my wife and I were not shopping for a Mercedes.

We were very happy with our cars, respectively, but some illegal aliens in a gardening truck ran my wife off of the freeway and totalled her perfectly good Acura Integra GS. The cops said they were illegal aliens... My wife has scars from the seatbelt on her chest now for life... It sucked sleeping in the hospital; alot more for her than me...

Anyways, we went shopping for a hatchback like the Integra. We were looking to replace the Acura Integra GS. It turned out that they don't make them anymore, and they don't have Preludes that we loved. The RSX is an abominable animal, so that car was out of the question.

The Mercedes hatchback fit the bill perfectly for us. Which brings me to my point: some of us don't care about the Mercedes label, and it just makes you E class gentlemen look silly putting us guys down because we have a C class. I paid cash for mine, and I am sure that many of you have also paid cash for your E classes, but I don't think that trashing C class owners is conducive to good relations between fellow owners. I think there is something wrong with a person who puts another one down based upon what car they own.

Cars are nothing; they just get you from a to b.

Just my 2 cents.

spankdoggie

Last edited by spankdoggie; 07-11-2003 at 04:51 AM.
Old 07-11-2003, 05:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 White on Stone E320
That owner's a *****. I consider C-class coupes a real Mercedes. Sure, it's the cheapest model MB sells here, but it's still a Mercedes. I'm not too fond of the rear styling, but to each his own. It still uses Mercedes parts. I think that owner just has an overly high opinion of himself b/c his car cost $50K+. He forgets that in other parts of the world, MB sells really cheap version of E-classes too. He probably only bought his car for that little emblem at the front of his hood.

Technically, I'm not an E class owner yet but I will be once the 04 models come out with the nav system so I don't know if you will count my opinion yet.
Old 07-11-2003, 05:25 AM

clk430, e500
I agree with u !
even A-class is a real Mercedes...... man
by the way i am a E500 owner
Old 07-11-2003, 07:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't see the difference.

I think all Mercedes's are real Mercedes. Sure some may be nicer and more successful than others, but that is up tp personal taste and financial means. What is an S600 owner supposed to say about an E-class! Then again, an E-class is sportier than the S- class. In your case, I know I would much rather have a Sport coupe in heavy city traffic or on a windy road than an bigger car. It all depends on the situation. Enjoy your sportcoupe!
Old 07-11-2003, 08:15 AM

LEXUS
So you get an email from one person, and JUMP to the conclusion that all E owners look down on the C. Get a grip! This type of generalization is pure BS, and I personally resent your defamation when you say "Why do you guys with E class look down on C class? Why tell me that I don't have a real Mercedes? Hey, you basturds: " You have no basis for this comment other than ONE PM. You have my sympathies for your wife. However, you need to put things in perspective before you go off like this.
Old 07-11-2003, 08:56 AM

W211 & Q7
they are merely different length of sausage

you pay more, your get longer sausage. (more spices, too.)
Old 07-11-2003, 09:05 AM

2003 MB E500
Originally posted by slipnby
So you get an email from one person, and JUMP to the conclusion that all E owners look down on the C. Get a grip! This type of generalization is pure BS, and I personally resent your defamation when you say "Why do you guys with E class look down on C class? Why tell me that I don't have a real Mercedes? Hey, you basturds: " You have no basis for this comment other than ONE PM. You have my sympathies for your wife. However, you need to put things in perspective before you go off like this.
I agree. You got a message from ONE E class owner not a message from ALL E class owners. Don't assume anything about the rest of us.
Old 07-11-2003, 09:06 AM

'03 Mercedes E320
I thought you said it was a "private" message. I think it would have been better to keep the exchange that way. Most folks here are pretty nice.
Old 07-11-2003, 09:26 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 G Wagon / 2012 CLS 550
I have owned the 4- door C-class and it is a great car and lots of bang for the buck.

The only problem I had with the car was that the 230/240 are too underpowered for my taste.
Old 07-11-2003, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
Hey Spankdoggie - First off, I'm sorry to hear about your wife's unfortunate experience on the roadways. I hope the healing process is quick and complete. Secondly, the guy who sent you the message is a loser and probably a former BMW owner! If he wanted a REAL Mercedes, why did he buy to E class an not the flagship SL? If 4 doors are his thing, why not the top of the line S class?

Personally, I bought the E class because it had the features and looks I wanted at the price I could afford to pay. If the 99 C class looked and performed like it does today, I'd probably be in one right now!

I know it is a cliche but don't let one bad apple spoil the whole bunch. (And my favorite) Opinions are like arseholes- everybody's got one.

Enjoy your genuine Mercedes Benz safely and in good health.
Old 07-11-2003, 10:30 AM

hey....

What do I think of C class owners? I think they make a great breakfast snack

Seriously,your a benz owner,welcome to the club.Enjoy your car.I didnt like the C at first but it has grown on me especially the modded ones.Yes,my Eclass would eat you up,but wouldnt an s55/600 e55 cl55/600 etc, eat me up?There is always a bigger and better dog in the yard.For the price of your car,there isnt much better out there from other makes,you did well........
Old 07-11-2003, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'03 W211 aka E-500
Ditto

While I joke around and say I don't consider a C230 coupe a real benz, I mean only in the manner of a Benz being a luxury automobile and the aura that goes with it. BTW, I'm NOT the guy that PM'd the poster.

However, I own both a 2003 C320, and a 2003 E500 (own, not lease), so I'd be an idiot to seriously bag on the C class. Every car line with large production numbers (not RR, Bentley, etc.) has its entry level (Jag X-Type, BMW 3-series, etc.)

Don't let the guy get to you. Ya gotta consider the source. Some guy randomly PMs you and tells you your car is less than his?

Sounds like he's trolling to me, or has a bit of an inflated ego. Probably a salesman/marketing guy.

You worry about the important things in life (like the Mrs.'s car accident), and leave the "My d*ick is bigger than your d*ck" arguments to the guys that have nothing else in their lives more important.

FWIW, YMMV, My .02, IMHO, Etc.

EDJ
Old 07-11-2003, 10:47 AM
Almost a Member!

'03 E500
Get over it. Theres always someone out there thats going to be bigger and badder than you. So what. I see S class owners look down upon E class, and don't even acknowledge C class. I see the same of E class to C class owners. Just go your own way and don't pay heed to anybody who wants to bring you down. Just think of them as another speed bump in your road. Go over them, and just keep going forward.
Old 07-11-2003, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
[I]DRB/Slipnby has got it right......[/

I have not seen (that I remember) any post on this forum that knocks the C class in any way. The person who pm'd you probably is not a regular poster here (???). Probably one of the youngsters from the "off topic" forum.

Why did he pick you out to email? Was he responding to a post you made or...just pick you out of all the C-class owners on MBWorld?

What offends me is that you would make your blanket condemnation of all of us here. Tell us why you think that E-class owners "look down on C class..." Why call us "basturds"??

You need to take a look at your original post and see if you really meant to slur all of us.

Last edited by etenn; 07-11-2003 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-11-2003, 11:30 AM

2003 E320
I see S class owners look down upon E class, and don't even acknowledge C class
Reading a Bentley forum should adjust those guys' attutudes!
Somehow this reminds me of Larry Ellison trying to import a MIG fighter . I bet he wanted to look down on the corporate-jet flying crowd.
Old 07-11-2003, 12:34 PM

if it's a matter of quality, i'm not an engineer, but i'm sure mb shares under the skin common parts
throughout ALL of the car/trucks they make. i could see if a mb owner said, 'you drive a cheap bmw the
other way around' for pride reasons. but for a bmw 7 owner to 'look down' on another bmw 3 owner or a mb
sl owner to look down on another mb c owner is an ignorant person.

if it's a matter of how much $$ you pay for what you drive...i'm sure there are millionaires that drive honda's
and many pay check to pay check that drive any luxury car.
Old 07-11-2003, 12:53 PM
lig

was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
I can't imagine who would do that - at least from what I've seen here. Anyhoo... I like the C class sedan but something about that coupe just ain't right. Somehow the rear section looks completely wrong (to my eyes)

Of course I would have never brought that up if you hadn't posted here! :p

And for the record - anything that came from the factory with a 3 pointed star is a Mercedes in my book.
Old 07-11-2003, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
i agree with lig. i don't think anyone should say, or do that...especially to bash on a mercedes. my family really really likes the c-class. it has a really nice ride, and the power isnt bad at all...i remember getting a c230? sedan, a MY2000, and it was really fun to drive, a lot funner?? than the E. i would report whoever to the moderators, and let them handle this.
Old 07-11-2003, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
Notice that spankdoggy does not reply to any post. I am beginning to think that the whole message issue is BS.

I doubt that he was PM'd....just a bunch of crap.

He still has not told us why the "new E-series owner" picked him out to pm. Why him...did he post something the guy was responding to. Most of us would have flamed him right here if we disagreed with a post.

Maybe the poor guy has a bad case of E-envy and decided to take it out on us.

Last edited by etenn; 07-11-2003 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-11-2003, 03:33 PM

sl and M-class E320 4Matic SLK350
Panoramic roof unique to C and E

Consider this (since you say you have all the options which must include the panoramic roof) - you are in rarified company with only the C Class coupe, the new E Class, and the Maybach sharing that unique option! Don't snub those S Class drivers too harshly though, they will probably get to join the club with the new model makeover in 2005.
Old 07-11-2003, 07:49 PM

C280
Well, I agree with your post, but I've heard some BS coming from owners (or pretenders )of non-C classes...talking down the C Class.

So it's out there, but I think this person that e-mail the coupe owner is:

1) Is probably an American that has never traveled to Europe (but could be from some other country, where people don't get to the "motherland (Europe) enough), and want to play the sad "class warfare" games

2) Trolling...

3) Has self-esteem issues...

About number 1, if you travel to Europe and you see EVERY TYPE OF MERCEDES as a taxi cab, that kind of put everything into perspective.

We bought (our MBs) what we believed to be solid, nice, well built cars...that we liked, right (I did at least) ?

If someone bought a Mercedes for some "prestige factor", they might want to start replying to those "Get 3 more inches without surgery" spam e-mails they get.
Old 07-11-2003, 08:35 PM

C280
In your total defense, 1) read my other post...yes the one about the taxi cabs and 3 inches, lol.

2) I believe the a C coupe might be the overall best deal on a car EVER !!!

What else, in it's class/price, can compete with a mod-ed C coupe...nothing.

The car looks good, the style is nice, having 2 doors, the body lines, and then: I noticed one golden/beige like color, I've never seen before...and I was like WOW!!! Sometimes the color can make a car look great (I think E classes are extremely ugly, except in white and black).

Then, the performance and the option of getting a manual tranny...

Then the fact that it's supercharged, HP can be had cheaply.

Rear wheel drive, yeah baby...all the while all the Jap cars (in that price range) are sorry a$$ front wheel drive.

A friend of mine bought a IS300...well guess what, I think the C coupe cost a lot less and is very similar, but again, the Coupe can be easily "upgraded". I don't know if a lot of mods are out for your engine, but they will come.

Then, the discount I heard about...if you know, then you know, if you don't know, you don't want to know...

What a lot of [name any car or truck here] owners, who want to play the "I have a small *****" game don't realize; is that, the price you pay doesn't exactly equal the quality of a car or class of cars. If an E class lasts 20 years, so should a C class, many/most of the parts are the same and/or the build process is similar to a degree.

Also, read my post about the 2000 ML and E class’s Having major problems…Hmmm, makes you wonder who really has the better car.

I bought a 1998 C280…not because I was shopping for a “C Class” I wanted safety and Benz quality (this would the third Benz in my family, little did I know how far the quality has dropped, oh well.), I would be driving in a hour commute and my other car is a stick (I’m sick of shifting in rush hour traffic, you know) I went in to buy a used S class…nice, kind of big, bounced a lot down the highway. I would be driving this car in a major city, parking, etc, so I passed (If I bought an S, it has to have the limo package, anyway, and they didn’t have one.) Then I test drove several E’s, no biggy here, very nice, good over all car, didn’t handle well, but had a nice ride. From inside I liked it, but I couldn’t get over the exterior appearance, I kept saying to myself, when I drive it, I’ll just forget what the outside looks like…I’m just buying a car, the inside is all that matters, well lying to yourself only goes so far, I passed on the E (I’m so glad the new body is out, I consider the new E Class to be: perfect ! Might be my next car, when they upgrade the HP in the 500 motor).

Then I notice this C280 with a sport package, my friend had a C43 (NO, there were no C43 on the lot). It looked great (Sport package), had the MB solid feel that we all love, Black on Black, ummmm. Worked out a good price and drove home HAPPY. It’s just as quick as a E, and with the sport package (YES, it does have some C43 parts) it out handled the E and CLK cars no problem. Needs a few more horses, but that’s no problem.

You know what the price difference was on all the Class’s, not much (at the time only about $4000 before I struck my deal), with interest rates as low as they are…the price/payment difference between the "class’s" on used MBs isn’t that much. Look at all these AMG owners wondering why their cars aren’t really worth that much anymore (depreciation, interest rates, and the overall economy)…I believe a used, starmark’d MB can be one of the best deals out there.

Don’t play the “class warfare” game, enjoy what you have and enjoy life.
Old 07-11-2003, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
wow, first of all, what a long post, sorry, i didnt have time to read it all.....but there is really no point for e class owners to bash on c-class owners, and no need for c class owners to bash on e class owners.....you dont need to say the E is ugly, also, i dont mean to be picky or anything, but perforance wise, a regualr wrx would beat out a c230 coupe in all the numbers. im just saying, you dont need to post that the E is ugly, becaused when stuff like this happens, hatred will become a factor, and this is a MB board, and i think we should represent, and stick together as a whole.
Old 07-11-2003, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
C280sportster..........

I think you have missed something here. There is no reason to defend the C-series on the E-211 forum. No one here has ever knocked the C-series or can I remember any posts that claim any kind of superior attititude by owners on this forum. There may have been some but they would have been few enough that I can't remember them. Many posters on this forum are not E owners and do own C-series instead.

Go back and read the initial post by spankdoggie in which he makes a blanket accusation that E-series owners are "basturds" who all think they are better that C owners. There has never been anything on this forum to even come close to that claim.

He claims that "an E-owner" pm'd him and defamed him and his C-240. He will not name this alleged person but puts the blame on all of us. Frankly, I think he has made this whole thing up for reasons that I can't fathom.

You do not have to defend the C-series or any other MB to us on this forum. We agree that they are all fine automobiles.
Old 07-11-2003, 09:17 PM

Originally posted by etenn
C280sportster..........

I think you have missed something here. There is no reason to defend the C-series on the E-211 forum. No one here has ever knocked the C-series or can I remember any posts that claim any kind of superior attititude by owners on this forum. There may have been some but they would have been few enough that I can't remember them. Many posters on this forum are not E owners and do own C-series instead.

Go back and read the initial post by spankdoggie in which he makes a blanket accusation that E-series owners are "basturds" who all think they are better that C owners. There has never been anything on this forum to even come close to that claim.

He claims that "an E-owner" pm'd him and defamed him and his C-240. He will not name this alleged person but puts the blame on all of us. Frankly, I think he has made this whole thing up for reasons that I can't fathom.

You do not have to defend the C-series or any other MB to us on this forum. We agree that they are all fine automobiles.
No blanket statement was made about E-class owners at all. All I did was congratulate, in a private message, someone who just purchased an E class; no sarcasm, just kindness and praise for his car. I then received a private message that a C coupe will never be a Mercedes. He saw photos of my C coupe... Yes, I am guilty of initializing the contact with the new E-class owner, in question. I have copies of my message and his, and if he wants to, we can confirm my story.

Actually my initial post is entirely true. I suppose if I was 14 years old, I might get a kick out of lying on a forum, but what is the point of telling lies, unless you are a kid?

Anyways, maybe the guy is still euphoric over his new purchase, so I will give him the benefit of the doubt on that.

I just read this thread, and you men (and women) are true gentlemen (and ladies)...

Take care.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What do you E class owners think of C class owners?