E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Strange Vibration from My Brake Pedal ?? Please Read

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 10:25 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
(For Sale 03 G55), 08 G55K, 99 C43, 04 E55, 05 E63, 91 BMW E30, 05 BMW M3, 05 Audi USP Avant
Strange Vibration from My Brake Pedal ?? Please Read

I have an 03 with sh*tty braking system. At times when im stopping or after I stop. Or inch forward my brake pedal vibrates for approx 3 seconds. It sounds as if the Airmatic compressor is turning on yet I know its not, it has something to do with the brakes. It has done this for a long time. I just never addressed it. Anyone know of this or what it is? It has not compromised my braking whatsoever it just vibrates my foot. Just curious
Old 06-20-2012, 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Ok,, my guess. There is / or should be an accumulator to store pressure so the SBC motor doesn't run all the time. IF this pressure isn't holding sufficient pressure the pump motor would have to run more often, this might be what you feel. My best guess anyway.

And you are right. "I have an 03 with sh*tty braking system" Me too!
Old 06-20-2012, 10:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 E320 4matic Sedan
The basic thing is you have an SBC brake system

Originally Posted by MPOW33R
I have an 03 with sh*tty braking system. At times when im stopping or after I stop. Or inch forward my brake pedal vibrates for approx 3 seconds. It sounds as if the Airmatic compressor is turning on yet I know its not, it has something to do with the brakes. It has done this for a long time. I just never addressed it. Anyone know of this or what it is? It has not compromised my braking whatsoever it just vibrates my foot. Just curious
There are many, many postings on this site that discuss the brake system.

The symptom you have is probably the electric brake pump of the SBC unit pressurising the brake system. It tends to resonate fluid the pipes while doing this and the vibration travels. You can take it to a dealer and see if it has had a damper fitted to the system to reduce the vibration you are feeling. Some of the improvements are free and under a partial, unlimited, miles warranty of the SBC and some improvements are hugely expensive.

(The damper was a fix applied after your's was built.)

As vettdr implies, it is possible that the pressure accumulator that is part of the system is not maintaining pressure as well as it used to and your pump is working more often so you are noticing the vibration even more.

I suggest you take it to a dealer and get it checked and if it is broken get it fixed (for free, possibly). If it needs money to fix the vibration, but is otherwise safe, learn to live with it.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:08 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
(For Sale 03 G55), 08 G55K, 99 C43, 04 E55, 05 E63, 91 BMW E30, 05 BMW M3, 05 Audi USP Avant
That's a good bet - ill try and check the pump and lines for leaks - the intermittent vibrations seems to be happening at the same time - when I'm @ really low to stop speeds. Mostly feel it when I'm @ a stop and then need to inch fwd. But then its not so horrible during stop n go traffic tho it does exist - smh that's what you get for buying the 1st run of the mill - I shoulda waited till 05/6 - still love my beast
Old 06-22-2012, 11:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E350, 2012 CLS 550, 2008 R350 4matic
one mechanic told me it was the ABS idk but my car does the same thing too
Old 06-24-2012, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 e500 & 11 sti
I hate to be that guy, but this has been covered numerous times and a quick search would yield answers. To sum it up, the SBC is designed to prime brake system in order for the driver to experience the same brake pedal feel and stopping ability every time you hit the brakes. When you are inching forward, the system did its job during your initial decel, then when you go for the brake again, it primes itself again. if you havent recalled your SBC you might want to do that, however i think the cut off mileage is 100k. Also another "fix" would be to stop creeping forward, which would imply you to be slightly more patient at a light. I mean inching forward isnt going to reduce your commute time by any noticeable amount. Good luck