E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

What would you do? Wheel fell off!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04' E500 w/Appear. PKG, Panorama Roof
What would you do? Wheel fell off!

Today, I picked up my E500 after it had been in the dealer all week for a variety of often reported problems, from a right handed drift, radio lock out, Oil pressure warnings, and brake noise, two nasty things happened.

First the Command display sort of glitched and then was left with a odd line running down the display like a crack in the surface.

The second was a potentially fatal experiance in my E.

As I left the dealer, glad to have my baby back I called my wife to get dinner instructions and location. Of course she changed the plan, thus rather than head out the freeway, I chose a back way cutting through a residential area to save time.

As we talked, I realized that the car was handling odd and I cut her off and told her I would callback. About a mile from the dealer, I thought the car had a flat. I stopped, walked around, saw nothing, resumed driving onto a busy 4 lane boulevard and the wobble got worse.

I immediately turned back to Mercedes, calling the service department, who seemed a little sceptical. As I drove back slowly, the wobble worsened, and finally one block from the dealer the car lurched. I turned into a parking lot and stopped. The car would not move.

I got out to see the left rear tire had broken off the hub and the car was sitting on the ground and the rim. The rim was a total loss and who knows about anything else.

I of course called the dealer, across the street and told them to come help. Upon examining the wheel, there were NO LUG BOLTS in that wheel! ( I took pictures to use later if I have to)

Imagine how utterly appalled I was! Just a diffent destination would have certainly had me on a freeway when this happened. What if my kids were with me? As they often are...

The dealer sent the Service Department Manager and he was totally apoligetic. I was polite yet firm I was not happy.

Supposedly tommorow ( the car was towed to the dealer) they will asses all the damage and order all the required parts.

What would you do? What would you demand? I was and am so mad I can spit.

I mean can you imagine the damm wheel fell off?

Wife wants a new car. I am sure that thought won't be entertained, but what is reasonable?

If this is Mercedes QUALITY- I want a B__. Gag me.
Old 07-11-2003, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS350
wow what the hell were the service techs thinking? im sure it was just a mistake but still could have costed major injury if it had come off during high speeds.
Old 07-11-2003, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Did you take your car in for anything that would require removal of that wheel ?

How many miles on your car ?
Old 07-11-2003, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wow. I can't quite imagine that. Almost wish someone'd gotten that on video.

Not sure about what to demand from the dealer. My guess is that they'll just give you a loaner and then fix your car (or at least have it in the shop...) Maybe they could give you a really nice loaner?

Any chance of finding another dealership for service?
Old 07-11-2003, 10:58 PM

They had decided that a slight wobble at 55 mph required all wheels to be re-balanced, thus, removed.

I think this rates up there with the NAV deal and I should get a new car. At least a 04 with them taking this one back at original full price less some $ for milage.

Nearest other dealer is 100 miles away.

Any Thoughts?

What process did the NAV folks use to get their replacements?
Old 07-11-2003, 11:18 PM

one of seven
first of all some one should lose their job over this, second you should get a loaner of equal or greater value, third if there was body damage (car scraping on road) you should push for a new car depending on how long you've had yours and how many miles you've driven. If there is no body damage insist on replacing any thing that was scraped, scratched or bothered in any way with new parts. good luck!!
Old 07-11-2003, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
Originally posted by marksatex
They had decided that a slight wobble at 55 mph required all wheels to be re-balanced, thus, removed.

I think this rates up there with the NAV deal and I should get a new car. At least a 04 with them taking this one back at original full price less some $ for milage.

Nearest other dealer is 100 miles away.

Any Thoughts?

What process did the NAV folks use to get their replacements?
I did answer your PM about the Navigation replacement but had not seen this thread at the time.

My guess is that you would have little chance of a replacement. However, I would talk to the General Manager, not the Sales Manager, and ask what he thinks the dealership could do to make this right. Tell him your wife will not drive the car as she feels it is a safety hazard. Ask him what his best deal would be on an '04 replacement.

Talk to him in person if you can. He may surprise you with a good offer....or maybe insult you with a POS

Let us know what he says.

(added)...tell them that you will not accept any damage, repaired or not under the car as a result of the wheel falling off. You should not accept the car back if it has any sign of damage. You may pay a price at trade-in time if an inspection shows damage.

Last edited by etenn; 07-11-2003 at 11:30 PM.
Old 07-11-2003, 11:39 PM

Fiscal Neo Con Express
hey mark,

new car. have them give you a very good number for your car and sell you a new one at dealer cost. be resolute and steadfast. this isn't an extreme measure in my opinion. they should be thankful there wasn't an accident witj a much much worse outcome. remind them of this(they dodged a bullet here) and let them know how fortunate they are.
Old 07-12-2003, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honda Accord EX V6
hey mark return your car and get a new car from the dealer.. does your dealer let you do that? tell him/her that your car has a manufacture or factory problem ever since you bought it. who knows you get a new car
Old 07-12-2003, 01:51 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 E320, 2003 C230 Kompressor
Very sorry to hear that this happened and glad no one was hurt. But you can't blame MB. You can however blame the dealer's incompetent service department. MB is not going to give you a new car and no reason why they should. But the dealer on the other hand should give you a replacement with you only paying for mileage adjustment treating this as they would a car that has been lemon lawed. If they don't like this idea, threaten to suit and I'm sure a local TV consumer affairs department would love to jump on this. This is total incompetence at best.
Old 07-12-2003, 03:10 PM

'03 Mercedes E320
I had this happen once on a fairly new Explorer just after service. I also went back when I felt it after a few hundred yards and the wheel collapsed inward at the top just as I entered their driveway. See what you can get from the dealer. I had absolutely no damage except the wheel itself (it opened up the lug holes and messed up a couple studs) and that was all replaced immediately. Have someone else inspect it if you choose. Their (service manager's) first approach was "if you complain, poor Joe will lose his job....." When I said that was OK with me, let's talk to the general manager, I ended up getting a few free service visits and a detailing by the new car department, again. There was no damage to the car upon inspection, and no problem in the subsequent year of use. It was well handled by the GM and there was no need to replace anything but the wheel. I was able to put it out of mind quickly. As benz2 said, it's not the manufacturer's fault but it should affect the dealer's survey on service.
Old 07-12-2003, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Originally posted by jim256
Their (service manager's) first approach was "if you complain, poor Joe will lose his job....."

He would be lucky if that was the only thing that happened to him.
Old 07-12-2003, 03:38 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally posted by jim256
As benz2 said, it's not the manufacturer's fault but it should affect the dealer's survey on service.
Yes, but my approach would be to give the dealer a chance to rectify the situation to your liking. If they don't then complain to MBUSA anyway, because I would think this kind of thing happening is not in their best interest. MBUSA probably won't replace your car, but I think they can put pressure on the dealer and the dealer is not going to want to be in that position.
Old 07-12-2003, 03:58 PM
lig

was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
hmmm... I think I would push for a 7-yr 100K extended guaranteed warranty from the dealer and some nice wheels! :p
Old 07-13-2003, 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Porcelain Bus
It's highly unlikely that they will offer a replacement when MB refused to replace Absent's 1 week old E55 when the engine siezed and needed replacement. MB is not what it used to be when they were a lower volume manufacturer.

Since this is a dealer screwup that put your life in danger, the dealer should step up and offer you some compensation other than "we're sorry, fortunately nobody was hurt." Just because of this incident your car shouldn't be prone to a recurrence nor should it be worth a penny less. My idea of compensation-since they have to replace a rim and tire, let them replace all 4 with a set of new AMG twin spoke 18" rims and tires. What do you think?
Old 07-14-2003, 08:11 PM

2003 E500 SPORT
YOU were damm lucky. As an EX Cop I can tell you how close you came after 55mph and losing a wheel to cashing the chips.

MY CALL would be to my attorney.........I would demand a new car with upgrades ala 4 MATIC. NASTYGRAM letters work wonders.

On your behalf a letter to the President of MB North America would probably be in line advising him of the situation and how utterly pissed you are and let him give you a call.........pictures would help as well.

I have not been overly impressed in the two runs to service with the E500. BMW for 25 years had at least 50-60% Master certified mechanics on board........these local guys down here scare the hell outa me...............

Glad you made it OK and no one else was hurt .

FWIW

Derek.
Old 07-14-2003, 10:14 PM

My inclination at this point, ( after two golf games and a drink) is to pay a cordial visit to the GM and will tell him that I expect him to devise a strategy to address each of these concerns. After 12 years of LEXUS ownership, I never so much as spoke with the service manager. Never was a need

I have had numerous problems, apparently common with this car, some repeating themselves.

I have been told that the right hand drift is "normal" and within Specs. This is unacceptable.

The failure to properly secure the lugs, and the aforementioned issues caused me no real injury, but a total loss of confidence in the MB organization , the dealership and service department, and more importantly in the product itself. My wife feels the car is unsafe. You guys know what a spouse is like who hates one of your primary vehicles..... It never ends.....I. A more direct way home that evening, by way of the freeway would have spelled a terrible tragedy. As it was, I was using back streets to avoid traffic.

While I don't expect him or MB to "give" me a new car, it may be reasonable for the dealership to buy my car at a very favorable price, say just depreciation for mileage, and allow me to purchase a 2004 at his cost. So in other words, he sells me a new car, makes nothing, sells my car and maybe gets out flush. Pretty cheap to make this go away I think.

Short of that , I would ask for full documentation of this incident, a paid for extended warranty to 100K miles, including service visits, and a cost plus price guarantee for future vehicle purchases. I would also add the 18" staggered AMG Wheels, new tires, and adding the solar panels if possible. I am sure to add the ventilated seats would be impossible.

If he is uncooperative or belligerent, I will mention attorney costs, publicity, and how will he feel about a person picketing his dealership with a sign that said " 2003 E 500- Wheel fell off. Hey it's a public sidewalk ! Just the threat got the local Chev dealer to fix my Suburban a few years ago.

I will remind him that if my wife is reassured, and I feel he has seriously addressed this total lapse, we will be repeatedly telling our respective professional friends, that we were well taken care of. But if not......

I realize that a wheel falling off was an accident and is also not the worst thing that could have happened. But at the same time, a wheel falling off is serious, potentially fatal, and may or may not affect the Airmatic or the axle at some point in the future with age. The point is, with as finicky as this highly technical auto is, I just as soon either have a new car or some very strong warranty to assure me that I will not financially suffer if there is a future failure.

I see it as an opportunity for the dealer to stand up for the product, his organization and for me the consumer.
Old 07-15-2003, 02:14 AM

2002 SLK 32 AMG, 2002 ML 320, 2001 E-320, Porsche 944
Dang, scary stuff! Really, really messed up! I'm glad you came out okay.
Old 07-15-2003, 05:23 PM

2003 E320
hmmm

this is probably going to be an unpopular post but i'm just trying to be realistic.

i don't think they'll give you a new car. i don't think they'll be willing to buy your car minus mileage. they will probably be willing to buy your car at the same price (maybe cut you a slightly better deal but not much) that they would pay for any other car like yours and allow you to buy a new 2004 with it. but it would pretty much come out of pocket to you.

with that said, you may be able to get more if you get a lawyer.

you can yell and scream all you want about what "could have happened" but they'll just say "but it didn't happen". unfortunately, there is a big difference between you actually driving down the freeway, having the wheel fall off, then your car getting totalled and you being sent to the hospital...versus the potential of that happening but not actually happening.

it was negligence on the dealer's part no doubt...but the only thing they would be willing to do is give you is to fix anything that was damaged as a result of it.

Rock.
Old 07-15-2003, 05:49 PM
jhb

2003 SL Launch Edition, 2003 E500 Pewter/Stone
First, glad you are safe. Second, good luck with the dealer.

The moral of this story for me is to check the wheel lugs every day I am going to drive, whether service has been done or not, and to check prior to driving after service work. Same thing for tires and pressure.

Jeff
Old 07-16-2003, 02:42 AM

13 SL63
i am sorry to hear about you incident. im glad to hear nobody was injured. i do understand your situation because i have been in both shoes, one as a consumer with a problem and daily as a automotive repair manager. i would believe something in the line of some free service after warranty, car detailing or something along that line, of course on the point that the car was safe and any damaged parts were replaced and noted as fault by the dealership but to insist to get a new car at cost or 18" wheels would not probably be realistic. just like rock said something could have happen but it didnt. i would not look into getting the guy fired, no malicious intent, a good service shop should handle their problems internally without customer persuasion. best of luck with the gm.
Old 07-16-2003, 05:15 PM

They are talking new car. Not sure what the numbers will be. I realize the car is fundementally sound and I am not trying to "rip the off" but the car has had numerous problems ( 12 repair items to date)plus the "lost wheel adventure)..

Wife is really not please and it seems a new car would make her happy. They are working on it. I have proposed they sell me a new car- give me a very favorable deal and keep my business. I have NOT proposed they GIVE me a car or take some huge loss.

Seems the wheel, wheel hub, brake rotor, caliper, bearings, some suspension parts wheel well inner fender,. are all damaged. They will pull the axle to check it. With AIRMATIC- This may have damaged something that will show up later I theorize.

They seem to think my business is worth keeping ( helps that my wife is a well known physician) and well... Let's ee how this all settles out !

Last edited by marksatex; 07-16-2003 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07-16-2003, 05:47 PM

SL500
marksatex, 12 problems and the wheel falls off! This is ridiculous and you should absolutely get a new car.

What many people may not realize is that the dealer plays a huge role in how you are treated by MBUSA. When I was dropping off my car at the service department I overheard a conversation between one of the owners of the dealership and who I assume to have been a manager. The owner told the manager to go ahead and get the Lemon Law paperwork going so they could get the customer into a new car as soon as possible. The owner also stated this was ridiculous and wanted it taken care of immediately.

Your dealer can make the experience of owning an MB a wonderful one or a nightmare. Unfortunately, MBUSA does not have the interest &/or authority to regulate dealerships.
Old 07-17-2003, 04:44 PM

New '04 Ordered by dealer today. Trade title for title. I pay mileage use.

Seems fair to me. Spouse happy. Closed Book!
Old 07-17-2003, 04:48 PM

2003 E320
Originally posted by marksatex
New '04 Ordered by dealer today. Trade title for title. I pay mileage use.

Seems fair to me. Spouse happy. Closed Book!
congrats.

Rock.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What would you do? Wheel fell off!