E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

E Class -vs- GS 430

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 & Q7
the difference is

at 100+ mph, you brake right away and turn your car (emergency cases)

1. bmw 5 does what exactly you want her to do (50/50 weight balance and good road handling at high speed.)

2. mb e may have a problem but driver is ok because of air bags.

3. gs is gone and driver may be gone, too.

Japanese luxury car only put big engine and fancy electronic devices into a "luxury" model but the car itself cannot handle the power from engine when emergency happens. (have you seen gs attending any car races? have gs won any prizes in any car races?)

Anyway, buying car is like go to a restaurant -- everyone has his own taste. I know I can have the same food in lower pice with better services in lexus restaurant but I like the way chef cooks the food and the atmosphere in mb restaurant. I think all restaurants have their own way to attract their customers. Thank you for providing lexus restaurant information for mb restaurant customers. (I liked bmw restaurant but it is difficult now for me to eat the food from the chef, Chris Bangle.)
Old 07-16-2003, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
If buying a car is simply for 100+ mph w/ sharp brake & turn, you should either get:

* BMW for its superb handling & braking
* Or a Volvo in case a crash is not avoidable

In case you don't know, Lexus nowaday is as safe as Benz or Bimmer. Stop making up stuffs that you don't know.

Don't get it wrong, I love my Benz, I am just tired on people bashing Lexus as sometime of cheap immitation products. If there's a car company that should be ashame of its products, it's Mercedes.

About the race, you may want to spend more time researching on it, buddy. It's BMW and Toyota engine that have been wining ALL of the major races lately. It's embarrasing that Mercedes decided to withdraw from the biggest race in Europe (LeMan), after they could not fix the air lift problem w/ their super car.

Originally posted by Otto
the difference is

at 100+ mph, you brake right away and turn your car (emergency cases)

1. bmw 5 does what exactly you want her to do (50/50 weight balance and good road handling at high speed.)

2. mb e may have a problem but driver is ok because of air bags.

3. gs is gone and driver may be gone, too.

Japanese luxury car only put big engine and fancy electronic devices into a "luxury" model but the car itself cannot handle the power from engine when emergency happens. (have you seen gs attending any car races? have gs won any prizes in any car races?)

Anyway, buying car is like go to a restaurant -- everyone has his own taste. I know I can have the same food in lower pice with better services in lexus restaurant but I like the way chef cooks the food and the atmosphere in mb restaurant. I think all restaurants have their own way to attract their customers. Thank you for providing lexus restaurant information for mb restaurant customers. (I liked bmw restaurant but it is difficult now for me to eat the food from the chef, Chris Bangle.)
Old 07-16-2003, 06:50 PM

couldnt agree no more...
Benz is very nice car, but in terms of overral experience, i think you can not beat lexus its quality. as for the emergency situation, like i said, my friend has a GS430 that just handles like a dream....like a 330ci with some extra weight..is that a bad thing??
Old 07-16-2003, 06:52 PM

forgot to say....the 330ci is sport, with aftermarket sway bars added, and H&R copkits. i know both of them so i know what i am talking about.
Old 07-16-2003, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
Most of us put cars into mental comparison "classes".

In my mind the E is in the same "mental" class as the 5 series and maybe the S Jag.

The GS is a fine car. However, in my mind, I would not compare it to the 5-series, E-Series or the S-Jag. Different kind of car. Not the same feeling, ride or otherwise.

Yes...I have driven the GS and took a lot of time looking at and driving at both the GS and the LS before I bought an E-500.

Actually, I eliminated the ES early on and made my decision between the LS and the E-500. More Luxury in the LS (but as boring as an Imperial)...more drive enjoyment in the E-500

Just my opinion.

Last edited by etenn; 07-17-2003 at 08:32 AM.
Old 07-17-2003, 12:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
The ES is a FRONT wheel drive car. It's in different league. If you want to compare, then it is E (Benz), GS (Lexus), 5 (BMW), and S(Jarguar)
The ES was never discussed in this thread.

Originally posted by etenn
Most of us put cars into mental comparison "classes".

In my mind the E is in the same "mental" class as the 5 series and maybe the S Jag.

The ES is a fine car. However, in my mind, I would not compare it to the 5-series, E-Series or the S-Jag. Different kind of car. Not the same feeling, ride or otherwise.

Yes...I have driven the ES and took a lot of time looking at and driving at both the ES and the LS before I bought an E-500.

Actually, I eliminated the ES early on and made my decision between the LS and the E-500. More Luxury in the LS (but as boring as an Imperial)...more drive enjoyment in the E-500

Just my opinion.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
Sorry...somehow I mistyped ES the first time in the post and then just repeated it. I do know what model Lexus we are talking about..see my first post in this thread.

Corrected now

Last edited by etenn; 07-17-2003 at 08:34 AM.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 CLS 550
the GS is, like many, a car i like but would not buy. Great quality, features and probably 'better' than an MB in many ways but its still not an MB. It's doesnt have the style, the appeal, and the ride characteristics of an MB.

Sometimes you don't realize the appeal and differentiation points of an MB until a beatiful woman gives you the eye at a traffic light!
Old 07-17-2003, 12:59 PM

2000 528BMW 5sp
gs430 is just boring

aving decided against a e500, for reasons
set forth below. I drove a gs430. BORING
Boring handling, drive, styling, Does everything OK, but just that. NO spark. plain jane, fast, but honestly my wifes new es300 is more exciting, As for e500
I drove a used one (nav turn -in),. rattles.
hesitation in acceleration, and cheapo parts. eg: the speaker grill on the drivers
window, looks like add on piece of plastic. that with fact
its first year production with many problems says not worth the bucks, maybe next year, but question trouble free nature of a 7 speed (why not 6sp) new tranny,
Old 07-17-2003, 01:52 PM

Lexus GS 450h
but honestly my wifes new es300 is more exciting
No way in hell.

The GS has beat the E in every car comparison, yet it is not in the same league? Uhhh, okay. They are equal competiton, same size, near in price, close features, they battle head on.

It is univerally agreed the S-type is a joke. No one takes it seriously for performance or luxury. It is a nice car but not on par with BMW, Benz or Lex and that car has been LAST or second to last in every comparison.

Leather and wood do not make a Jaguar.

To each his own, both the E and GS are outstanding cars.
Old 07-17-2003, 02:15 PM

Location: Go to school in Boca Raton, FL - Live in Westchester Cnty, NY
Currently: 99 GS400
I like E and GS......however the E500 and GS300 is a no comparison review. A 430 = an E500; A 300 = an E320
Old 08-09-2003, 12:03 AM

W211, landcruiser
GS vs E

i went with the w211 as the GS body will change in the next year.
Old 08-09-2003, 09:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
J:D Power

I checked the J.D. power web site. It is true that Lexus is noted for good quality, but in the same report a BMW M5 also gets the worst possible rating for performance??????!!!!!!!!!!!!! The people surveyed must either be extremely biased or not know much about /have experience with cars. So mcuh for objective surveys!1
Old 08-09-2003, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
Re: J:D Power

Originally posted by Frank Wiesmann
I checked the J.D. power web site. It is true that Lexus is noted for good quality, but in the same report a BMW M5 also gets the worst possible rating for performance??????!!!!!!!!!!!!! The people surveyed must either be extremely biased or not know much about /have experience with cars. So mcuh for objective surveys!1
wow, lol, nice find. im sure J.D. is biased. im sure Lexus has the least problems, but the M5 as the worst?
Old 08-09-2003, 12:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's what I thought!

I would have expected bad ratings everywhere, but there?! C'mon, the worst rating for performance on a 400 horsepower sedan?
Old 08-09-2003, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
Why bring this thread back to life? Somehow it brings Lexus fans (and trolls ) out of the woodwork to try to convince MB owners that thier cars suck and the lexus is the greatest in the world

Those of us who have driven an E-500 and a GS 430 are not going to even compare the two, period. The claims by the Lexus Lover are just troll bait. To compare an E-500 and a GS-300 is just stupid.

Try this....test drive a GS-430 and then test drive the Toyota.
Close your eyes. Can you tell the difference. Try that with the E-500.

The comparisons are only similiar on paper. Once you are in the vehicles there is no comparison between the GS430 and E500, unless you are simply a defender of the Lexus.

I wonder if anyone from this forum goes over to the Lexus board and trolls like some of the Lexus people do here???

Last edited by etenn; 08-09-2003 at 01:01 PM.