E Class -vs- GS 430

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fiscal Neo Con Express
E Class -vs- GS 430

hey everyone,

before you purchased your new E's.... did any of you consider the Lexus GS 430? if so...why did you consider it in the first place and why did you decide not to buy the Lexus. pro and cons???
Old 07-13-2003, 02:58 PM
drb

03 E320, sport package, moon roof, sound upgrade, brilliant silver, charcoal leather, heated seats..
Considerations: reliability and electronic toys.
Thumbs down: snobby dealership, dealer unwilling to bargain, looks not distinctive enough from other asian models.
Old 07-13-2003, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Re: E Class -vs- GS 430

I currently own both cars, but lesser model (E320 and GS300).

* The GS is super reliable, nothing ever go wrong. Awesome dealer services. High tech but durable. High quality interial material. Quiet & smooth. Boring look, boring ride.

* The Benz has all sort of little (mostly trim and electrical) problems (I hope they don't grow in term of severity). Dealer is too busy resolving customer complains (in truck-load !!), so they have less time for service & answer your misc questions. Interial material is good, but not at Lexus level. High tech and don't mind beta testing w/ customer. Nice look, nice ride.

I love to drive the Benz more. My gf likes the GS better (she think it's better if you happen to be passenger).

In term of bargain w/ dealer. It's all supply and demand. THe only reason Mercedes would spend time to entertain your offers for the E is because supply is outweight demand & all of the publicity regarding the E class quality problems. Lexus doesn't have this problem, so there's no need for them to low ball.

Try to bargain for an SL or AMG model, and see how Mercedes sale rep treat you !!!

Originally posted by S55inPA
hey everyone,

before you purchased your new E's.... did any of you consider the Lexus GS 430? if so...why did you consider it in the first place and why did you decide not to buy the Lexus. pro and cons???
Old 07-13-2003, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
There is no comparison (IMHO) between the E-500 and the GS430. I did look at both the GS and LS before buying the E500. The GS did not seem to be in the same class as the E500. Style, power, handling are all way above the GS. The GS seemed, to me, to be the same class as an mid level Toyota or a loaded Accord. The GS has great quality...but has no class when compared to an E500.
I was not considering an E320 so really did not make that comparison but would still feel the E320 would be far more classy than the GS.
Old 07-13-2003, 11:09 PM

one of seven
took a hard look at the GS430, showed the wife (she didn't like the body) but once I saw and drove the E500 there was no lack of clarity in my thinking - go with the 'E'.
Old 07-13-2003, 11:14 PM

Fiscal Neo Con Express
hey guys,

what was the GS lacking in terms of options that you didn't like?
what about the price difference? isn't the GS cheaper than the E?
what about Lexus always leading in the JD Powers ratings? did these things affect your decision?
Old 07-13-2003, 11:22 PM

one of seven
I have to say, I'm guilty of making my decision purely on gut feeling and emotion. Didn't care about price, rating or outside opinions. Now, I just smile every time I drive............
Old 07-13-2003, 11:45 PM

2003 E500
Before getting my E500, I was 100% sure of getting a GS. I had paid off my bimmer 528 and was looking for a new V8 sport sedan. My wife and I IMMEDIATELY wrote off the 540 due to issues we had with my 528 and the horrible service from the dealer. Jag Stype had some other issues and the dealer was a bit far away (esp since I figured I'd be going there quite often). I didn't even consider the E class because I was NOT aware of the "redesign" for '03.

We began our hunt in July of last year.. and basically my wife kept putting it off.. until Sept. Then finally we are ready to go... and somehow I come across the new E class.. and I'm like "HONEY YOU NEED TO SEE THIS!" The following week we went to a dealer.. spected it out, got a brochure, etc. About 2 weeks later placed my order for my E500.

How do they compare? Both brutally fast. The E handles better (esp with Airmatic). The interior in nicer in the E.. and all the extra features in the E (plus included maintence).. and the fact that it's a Benz.. made up our minds.. even though a similarly equiped E500 was about 5-10G's more than the GS430 (i.e. nav, xenons, etc). Turns out the salesman from the Lexus dealership I was working with is now a good pal of mine.. and he LOVES my E. Thinks I absolutely made the right choice. BTW: He's now the finance manager there. =)

Get the E, you CAN NOT go wrong!

Peter
Old 07-14-2003, 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It's funny how a lot of Benz owner still think that Benz is a class by itself, even w/ plastic dash, lousy stereo, crapy alignment, and cheap look.
Everytime I stop by the dealer for service, the waiting room is full of angry customer. I've met a lot (and I really mean a lot) of people swear left and right that it would be the last Benz they ever own. Never seen that at Lexus waiting room.

The Benz is still fun to drive. However, it has long lost its touch.

Go with the car you like, don't take the hype that a lot of people imagine once they spend 60K on a car.

Except for an S55/600, CL 55/500/600, and Porches 911, no car now worth having its own class.

I sold my 2000 SL500 earlier this year, when the warranty went out (49.8K mile :-)) . The new 2003 SL has more fancy technologies than it, however, in term of look and feel, it's way off compare to the previous model.

YOu don't have to take my words for it, stop by waiting room of Fletcher Jones, Newport Beach, CA on a Sat morning, and you'll know what I mean. The joke there is: "how do rich people spend their time & money: they buy Benz, Jaguar, or Bimmer, and spend the rest of the time fixing them :-) ". Of course, at the same waiting room, you can also see lot of C (!!!) and E owners who think they belong to an exclusive class !!!.

If somehow Lexus can manage to steal guys who responsible for design and suspension tuning from Benz, and steering/brake guy from BMW, they'll be king of luxury !.

Sound hard to believe, but in Santa Monica, where they call Boxer a Pinto, you can buy a new E class BELOW invoice price. There gotta be a reason.

Originally posted by etenn
There is no comparison (IMHO) between the E-500 and the GS430. I did look at both the GS and LS before buying the E500. The GS did not seem to be in the same class as the E500. Style, power, handling are all way above the GS. The GS seemed, to me, to be the same class as an mid level Toyota or a loaded Accord. The GS has great quality...but has no class when compared to an E500.
I was not considering an E320 so really did not make that comparison but would still feel the E320 would be far more classy than the GS.

Last edited by zam2000; 07-14-2003 at 01:03 AM.
Old 07-14-2003, 01:12 AM

Smile

Hey Zam2000:

What color is yoyr Pinto?
Old 07-14-2003, 01:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
omg, here we go again
Old 07-14-2003, 02:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
Lightbulb Test drive them both

The GS body is about to be discontinued (next year?) while the E is brand new.

If you test drive a Lexus and a MB you'll be able to tell the huge difference in handling. The current SL handles MUCH better than the SC or the old SL for that matter.
Old 07-14-2003, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
zam2000 has somehow changed my post to mean that I (and others) think that MB and/or the E is in "a class by itself". I don't understand how he reached that conclusion. He seems very intent on knocking Mercedes and describing MB owners as arrogant snobs.

My point was that (in my opinion, as I stated) the GS Lexus is not really a comparible car in the things that were important to me:
style, looks, handling, power and overall feel. I have never equated the GS with the E or the 5 series BMW.

Having said that, I think that Lexus makes one of the finest cars on the road, but does not get to the overall level of the E or the 5-series as a sport luxury car. It is just a different car for a different market segment.

Last edited by etenn; 07-14-2003 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-14-2003, 02:29 PM

W211 & Q7
agree with etenn.

gs is another level of car. I don't consider it as the same level with my mb e or bmw 5. lexus basically provides you a inexpensive loaded car. other than leather headed seats, nav, xenon lights, etc. you cannot get the same feel in driving mb or bmw. I personal think lexus is a good car but it is lack of its "personality".
Old 07-14-2003, 03:20 PM
jhb

2003 SL Launch Edition, 2003 E500 Pewter/Stone
I looked at the GS, have owned an ES and an LS and for a number of reasons chose the E500. The Lexus is likely to have fewer first year defects. It is an attractive car. Some of the bells and whistles are probably better than the E. But, I prefer the styling, ride and drive of the E far more.

The GS is now dated and will soon be replaced with what will probably be a funny looking new body/style. IMHO, Lexus has ruined most of their line with the new designs. As to the old, dated design, it looks too narrow to me, although generally attractive.

The ride is more like floating on the GS, much like the ES and LS. If you want that, fine. I prefer the mid ground the E represents between comfort and road feel.

I believe that the E is a really super style. It accomplishes its objective of moving toward a "coupe" look for a 4 door sedan. I find it sleek and beautiful.

Overall, I believe MB has hit the mark, for me, with the E. It is not a sports car, it is not a luxury sedan, it is not a wild departure from styling norms. For me, it is a blend of all that and it fits me.

Jeff
Old 07-14-2003, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
Originally posted by jhb
I looked at the GS, have owned an ES and an LS and for a number of reasons chose the E500. The Lexus is likely to have fewer first year defects. It is an attractive car. Some of the bells and whistles are probably better than the E. But, I prefer the styling, ride and drive of the E far more.

The GS is now dated and will soon be replaced with what will probably be a funny looking new body/style. IMHO, Lexus has ruined most of their line with the new designs. As to the old, dated design, it looks too narrow to me, although generally attractive.

The ride is more like floating on the GS, much like the ES and LS. If you want that, fine. I prefer the mid ground the E represents between comfort and road feel.

I believe that the E is a really super style. It accomplishes its objective of moving toward a "coupe" look for a 4 door sedan. I find it sleek and beautiful.

Overall, I believe MB has hit the mark, for me, with the E. It is not a sports car, it is not a luxury sedan, it is not a wild departure from styling norms. For me, it is a blend of all that and it fits me.

Jeff

Perfect description, Jeff.
Old 07-14-2003, 10:45 PM

Fiscal Neo Con Express
hey guys,

thanks for the honest responses. it seems that everyone has respect for the Lexus brand and esp. the GS. it seems that nobody knows what the next generation GS is going to look like or at what level of horsepower it will have.

i can't put my finger on it but there is just something about owning a MB. did any of you have this same feeling when making you purchase?

i know it must seem like i'm doing a survey for jdpowers. i've been posting on clublexus and it seems that there is some animosity between the brands. it's hard to put your finger on exactly what it is but it's there. any thoughts???
Old 07-14-2003, 11:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It's all come down to personal preference. Comparing Benz, BMW, and Lexus is not much different than making a pick for a woman, some are good for taking to banquet & party, other are good for house wife.

Here's my take on the cars (and women ???)

* Benz: nice look, nice ride. Fun when run, however, having quite a few problems, which doesn't really affect drivability, but can cause headache. With the way it goes, look for big $$ out of pocket when warranty ends.

* BMW: ugly look (new 5 serie ? khrrrrr) , nice ride. Lot of electrical problem. High quality interial material. If the 7 is any indication, avoid the first year model. Lease, don't buy. Get used to driving loan car and intepreting nonsense i-drive msgs.

* Lexus: boring look, boring ride, except for the L-tuned (excellent ride). Last forever. Levingston audio system will put all other systems on earth to shame. Super reliable & super dealer service. The GS430 can smoke any non-AMG benz or even 540i auto.

As far as the "Benz" or "BMW feeling", it's pretty subjective. You can buy a Kia and have a "Kia feeling" too.

Originally posted by S55inPA
hey guys,

thanks for the honest responses. it seems that everyone has respect for the Lexus brand and esp. the GS. it seems that nobody knows what the next generation GS is going to look like or at what level of horsepower it will have.

i can't put my finger on it but there is just something about owning a MB. did any of you have this same feeling when making you purchase?

i know it must seem like i'm doing a survey for jdpowers. i've been posting on clublexus and it seems that there is some animosity between the brands. it's hard to put your finger on exactly what it is but it's there. any thoughts???
Old 07-15-2003, 12:56 AM
Almost a Member!

2001 E320, 2003 C230 Kompressor
You will NEVER see a Lexus in my garage or driveway!!! Why go with an imitation when you can have the original.
Old 07-16-2003, 01:09 AM

Lexus GS 450h
You will NEVER see a Lexus in my garage or driveway!!! Why go with an imitation when you can have the original
Alright buddy!

For those with 20 minutes, this mature discussion will help your decision. You will find Benz bias, Lexus bias but mostly some great opinions and info.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/show...threadid=87924

Until the new E came out (heck it is waaaay newer than the 5 or GS) the GS beat the E class 320 or 430 in every single comparision.

But both cars were CARS OF THE YEAR (96, 98) respectively so they are the cream ala crop.

But if you think Lexus is just some Corolla, I would be an idiot to call Mercedes a fancy Chrysler. Both companies are awesome.
Old 07-16-2003, 01:24 AM

one of seven
nice to see pics of my friggin' E500 on the Lexus site!!!
Old 07-16-2003, 01:25 AM

nice say....one of my friend has a GS with some suspension upgrade done on this car, the ride is just execellent with no body roll at all yes NONe body roll, while the ride is still comfy.
i have a c230 sport and i ride on his GS430 a lot, we are neighbors and good friends =) his GS430 handles just like his roommate's 330ci sport, only with the extra weight added. trust me, GS can def handles very well with some right suspension done to the car..
Old 07-16-2003, 02:21 AM

Lexus GS 450h
GS can def handles very well with some right suspension done to the car..
What I find weird is the GS won accolades for it's coupe like handling (some magazines did state the Lexus floaty at 100mph+) but us Lexus enthusiests find the handling the FIRST THING to fix.

We universally agree the L-tuned (lexus warrenty) upgrade shocks/springs and TRD sway bars make a night and day difference. And it does, the ride is totally different and confidence inspiring. Only about $1500 installed.

I met a 540 6 speed fella on the net, he came to a meet I set up and we drove the snot outta our cars back to back. With the mods, we both agreeded my car was much better. Accerelation was a toss up.

But heck, the E has options we can't even begin to add, it's newer and looks GREAT. So it's a TRADEOFF. That is the conclusion we came to in our discussion.
nice to see pics of my friggin' E500 on the Lexus site!!!
Which one? That says your car kicks butt, it's a compliment.
Attached Thumbnails E Class -vs- GS 430-medrivingby.jpg  
Old 07-16-2003, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
These conversations always take strange turns, and has been said, always show a bias to one side or the other.

Having said that, with the E being brand new, and the new 5 just about to come out, and the GS in the next 1-2 years, I think it is safe to say that the comparison will live on as all of the cars are upgraded by the manufacturer. That is what competition is all about. Right now, the E certainly rules the roost.
Old 07-16-2003, 11:02 AM

one of seven
1sicklex - my E500 pics are here... http://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&threadid=87924

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E Class -vs- GS 430