Trunk not working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 e320 cdi
Trunk not working

Hello all:

I am having a problem similar to older posts but different. I am unable to open my trunk but am not having any issues with the brake lights, etc like others have had. To add to it, after several hours I am able to click the trunk release button on the keyfob, only to hear noises from the trunk release motor but nothing to actually happen. After several clicks or pulls on the trunk release itself (on the trunk, under the brake light) the motor stops making noise all together. The only 'good' point is the metal key does release the trunk when used. Additionally, I have opened the trunk panels and cut the zip tie containing all the wires on for the trunk and have not found a broken/cut wire.

Any ideas or recommendations???

Thanks as always
Old 07-01-2012, 12:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350
Sounds like the latch assy itself has a problem. If you can hear the trunk release motor running but the trunk doesn't release, most likely the trunk motor movement is not getting the latch to move. The wiring is not the problem if the trunk motor runs.

The problem is that the trunk latch/motor assy is pretty much one unit that you can't take apart to inspect. The trunk release cable that comes from the exterior handle goes into the unit, but other than that it's all sealed up. Since the outside handle doesn't work either it sounds like the locking portion of the latch/motor assy has failed. You're probably going to need a new latch/motor assy.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 e320 cdi
Originally Posted by otto6457
Sounds like the latch assy itself has a problem. If you can hear the trunk release motor running but the trunk doesn't release, most likely the trunk motor movement is not getting the latch to move. The wiring is not the problem if the trunk motor runs.

The problem is that the trunk latch/motor assy is pretty much one unit that you can't take apart to inspect. The trunk release cable that comes from the exterior handle goes into the unit, but other than that it's all sealed up. Since the outside handle doesn't work either it sounds like the locking portion of the latch/motor assy has failed. You're probably going to need a new latch/motor assy.
That's what I came down too. I'll be headed to the dealer on monday to order a new one. Can't seem to get anywhere with the two numbers imprinted on the unit as pictured to be able to order the unit online. I ran across some used ones on ebay, but figured new is better than used in this case.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350
Used would be fine if the seller will give you a 30 day guarantee or something similar. If it works for 30 days it should be fine long term. Otherwise, it's a bit risky. But if the price is low enough, it can be worth the gamble.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:35 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by gazzychaz
Can't seem to get anywhere with the two numbers imprinted on the unit as pictured to be able to order the unit online.
1717500085 (MSRP $122 to comparison shop, parts.com $87.60), or 1717500185 (117 / 84)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
lock.pdf (56.5 KB, 368 views)