E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Airmatic Malfunction...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 S550
Airmatic Malfunction...

As I sit here in Midland, TX (my first trip), I realize why I prefer metropolitan areas...

Anyway, I'm not dealing with this since I should have my replacement in a week or so, but since we document the weird problems with our Es, I thought I post about this.

About a week ago, I went to the parking garage to drive home, and the car looked funny. I finally realized that the left rear wheel well was below the top edge of the tire. The slant of the car was very visible. I walked around the car and saw that everything else was normal. It was like the left rear suspension moved to California and the rest of the car stayed in Texas...

Sitting in the car to start it was an experience in leaning not unlike what "low-riders" must experience when playing with their suspension systems. Not know what to do, I started the car, hit the raise button and waited. Nothing. So I backed out and began to drive and the car leveled itself. I lowered it again and everything stayed level.

So, if I stop for any length of time at all, this happens. One morning in my garage, I hit the raise button and waited a bit. There was a very loud thumping that you could actually feel as the car attempted to right itself. Once again, things returned to normal when I began to drive it.

So, those of you who think you've encountered every problem there is, here's a new one to look for. Me, well, seems I'm wagering a lot on this replacement vehicle...
Old 07-14-2003, 11:44 PM

2003 E500
Man, you're STILL in Midland? We'll looks like your car MIGHT be here before you Chris. =) Hopefully you can make it back with the car as is.. and pick up your new car. Wouldn't be worth getting it "fixed" since your replacement will probably be at Greenway before week's end.

Did you ever do any "airmatic" mods? Just wondering if this is a result of one gone bad.

Peter
Old 07-15-2003, 01:30 PM

when i was at the dealership for my weekly fix-it sessions, i saw an S class ticket that had repairs to it's airmatic system. it had a few thousand miles on it..i want to say it was model year 01 or 02. the bill was around $3,500 for replacement parts and labor.
Old 07-15-2003, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It's looks like your air strut has had it...that's what they do when they go bad (spring a leak). Do you see any oil on the air strut? It should not fail this early though...looks like Mercedes' *improved* quality.