E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Any idea how much all of this may cost? (03 E500)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 01:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 w211
Any idea how much all of this may cost? (03 E500)

Sometimes I have the luck I guess... I recently purchased an 03 E500 that's just turning 80,000 miles. I love the car, but as you'll see below, it needs a few things. Any ideas what this may cost at the dealership to do?

Replace damaged small top fill radiator hose. (runs parallel to top radiator hose)

Check, or replace thermostat. Car runs 100 and max is 95. Maybe a cooler thermostat?

Check motor mounts- can feel a twisting at harder starts.*

Fix rough idle or miss.*

Fix mild roar car makes when driving. Feels like a wheel bearing?

Sbc *pump oils, flush.

Engine filters replace plus oil change

Replace air filters plus cabin air

Alignment 4 wheel needed wheel slightly turned

Fog lamp bulbs changed (keep passenger side as a spare)

Third brake light replaced (I have oem replacement)

Check valve cover gaskets

Replace cigarette lighter socket

Replace swivel cup holder (have oem replacement

Brake flush. All four corners. Check brakes

Sticky feeling start button on shifter knob (something spilled in it I'm sure)

Check shock and air suspension. Car leans in turns in both sport modes, and has brand new perf tires.

Power steering fluid. If smells burnt, vacuum, and replace fluid.

Replace drivers door handle (I have part)

Change trans oil

Remove old phone from center console that's outdated.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Did anyone ever do maintenance according to the FSS before buying?
Old 07-19-2012, 10:58 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
06 E55(SOLD), 03 E500(SOLD)
At a dealership, I think it will cost around what you likely paid for the vehicle.

Find a reputable independent mechanic and prioritize the repairs needed.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:47 PM

2003 w211
Efive, sounds like I'm trading soon if I can't get this done with as you mentioned, a local Mercedes guy.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,020 Likes on 948 Posts
1999 E300TD
If you live any where near salt water donate the car to a fish farm association.

You will get a better IRS deduction for a donation than if the car got stolen.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:27 AM
brm

2008 E350 Sport
E500 has it right, but there's a third way. There are some things that either require dealer attention or it's best to have the dealer do them, but a lot of things on your list can be handled by a DIYer. Oil change, filters, bulb replacement, lighter socket, etc. If you're willing to get your hands dirty, you'll save a ton. First things first, though. Get the idle, motor mounts, and road noise checked out and, if they're as expensive to fix as they could be, Plutoe may have a good idea. In any event, this will be a learning experience for you--the meaning of PPI being the start.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
CLS550 4Matic, C43, E350, ML350
With all those things, sell the car lol. Most of the stuff you can do yourself though
Old 07-20-2012, 11:45 AM

2003 w211
Greatly appreciate the advice! This car might stay or go at this point. I like it, love the power, etc., but am finding this car wasn't taken care of from the beginning.

If I were to sell it, I'd have to fix the motor mounts as when you step on the gas, it's obvious a mount is broken.

If I trade it, I'd have to do the same as the dealer would find it on their arou d the block test drive.

I've got 13,000 in it plus new Nitto tires, newly evacuated a/c, new freon at dealership, etc., had it detailed flawlessly. Kelly blue book hits it around 15k private party, and close to 13k trade. Any ideas what selling price for quick sale if I decide to do that?

Thanks again guys!
Old 07-20-2012, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
CLS550 4Matic, C43, E350, ML350
Your not getting 13k trade in. I had a 2003 E500 also with around 85k on it. Private value was 16,700 and trade in was 13k also. Dealer offered $7000 for trade in and my car looked and felt BRAND new.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
ya really isn't worth with how much it's gonna cost (unless you find a good indy and do some of that stuff urself, but even still, there will be more to come). I'm debating about keeping my car but between new tires, new brakes and rotors, motor mounts, spark plugs and wires. and still the car would have the rocking problem at low speeds, the gas leak issue (very common on the w211s), and a non-operative pano roof and on top of that lord knows how long till i start having airmatic issues

Last edited by gaazmon; 07-29-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
2007 SL55 AMG
you can fix so many of those little things yourself in one day if you are semi-handy with cars.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:15 PM

2006 E500
Break it up for spare parts and sell them on ebay
Old 07-20-2012, 11:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 E320 4matic Sedan
My 2 cents and then some....

Originally Posted by desired_speeds
you can fix so many of those little things yourself in one day if you are semi-handy with cars.
Some thoughts:

1. Decide if you want to get your hands dirty with the tasks and whether you should or shouldn't try to. You will learn something trying to do it yourself. The lessons may be enlightening or may be frightening. It takes tools, time and tenacity. Timidness won't do it.
  2. Decide if you want to keep the car
  3. If you decide to keep it, then do the urgent maintenance items or have them done soon
  4. Ask yourself why some of these items are on your list. Who put them there? Why?
  5. Divide your list up. Don't confuse fault items with maintenance items
  6. There are several items you could ignore. Who cares if the start button is slightly hard to press? Do you actually need the lighter socket?
  7. Expect and budget to replace air-suspension components on a 2003 E500 by now. But you don't have to replace airmatic with airmatic if you don't want to. There are alternatives
  8. Is there actually something wrong with your brakes? Get it seen to before your SBC 10 year warranty goes away next year. (That doesn't mean all brake-work is free! It does mean if there's something wrong with the SBC, now is the time to check it out - while Carl and Gottlieb at MBUSA might pick up part of the tab.)
  9. Take care of the thermostat issue and the hose. Now. That is your greatest exposure to further problems. (assuming the SBC and potentially bad suspension don't wrap you around a tree, and I doubt either will.)
  10. You do not need to ponder on a "cooler" or a "hotter thermostat." You need the one specified for your car, in your market
  11. Find an independent Mercedes workshop and enlist them if you decide not to do the work yourself. You do not have to enlist a proper dealer except for the SBC work unless you are happiest doing so. Do not enlist a mechanic who lacks Mercedes knowledge. I am sure you will need help for some of this work.
  12. Start to write down your fuel consumption per-tank and share what you learn on his forum. That will help other E500 owners to help you figure out the general health of the car. (e.g. If those noises you are hearing really could be bearings going bad, or just regular and to be expected.)
  13. Is the Check Engine Light on? If so, get the rough idle looked into and be sure to have the mechanic write down and share with you the fault codes and post them here. Or get a code reader yourself and do it
  14. When is your next state inspection/ emissions test? If soon, that will focus your mind on check-engine lights, misses and codes.
  15. Research, research, research. There is a wealth of learning on this site and elsewhere. You'll get respect if we can all see you've tried to look stuff up and learn. You'll get ignored if all you do is bleat out questions without lifting a finger to help yourself. (and I am not saying that you have been!
Good luck!
Old 07-21-2012, 02:04 AM

2003 E500 (W211)
wow, so sorry to hear about all those issues. I wish you would have seen my car for sale. Where are you located at? I have very good independent mechanic that always worked on my e500...and if there was something he couldn't fix or didn't know what was wrong, he would have a mercedes mechanic come by to his shop to take a look at it.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:18 AM

2003 w211
Originally Posted by NiwPix
wow, so sorry to hear about all those issues. I wish you would have seen my car for sale. Where are you located at? I have very good independent mechanic that always worked on my e500...and if there was something he couldn't fix or didn't know what was wrong, he would have a mercedes mechanic come by to his shop to take a look at it.
I found out the driver's motor mount is broken ( common), but ordered both sides to be safe. I may have both replaced, or just the broken one.

Thinking about selling her. Just want to find one someone who has actually maintained without paying too much. My Wife says the 03 E500 is a grandpa car, but I disagree. I found a 4 matic recently that was a "deal," but since I'm in FL most of the time, I can't justify dropping 2k on the inevitable 4matic differential. I do, however, need to drive in the snow at times with family in the north east, so tough call. I'm open to suggestions.

I really want to fix this car as I like it well, but don't want to waste $ if I can avoid it.

Last edited by leap; 07-22-2012 at 03:21 AM.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Originally Posted by leap
My Wife says the 03 E500 is a grandpa car, but I disagree
Grandpa car huh??? Lol i think u need to reset the throttle computer so the adaptive driving is back to new and show her some 0 - 60 runs the 500 is a beast of an engine. These cars r pretty heavy but the V8 hauls
Old 07-29-2012, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by leap
I found out the driver's motor mount is broken ( common), but ordered both sides to be safe. I may have both replaced, or just the broken one.

Thinking about selling her. Just want to find one someone who has actually maintained without paying too much. My Wife says the 03 E500 is a grandpa car, but I disagree. I found a 4 matic recently that was a "deal," but since I'm in FL most of the time, I can't justify dropping 2k on the inevitable 4matic differential. I do, however, need to drive in the snow at times with family in the north east, so tough call. I'm open to suggestions.

I really want to fix this car as I like it well, but don't want to waste $ if I can avoid it.
Be aware you have to pull the exhaust to get the mounts out.