E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

M272 Balance Shaft - revisited

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 10:19 AM

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 E350 4matic Sport
M272 Balance Shaft - revisited

For those of you that have had the unfortunate situation of having to replace the defective M272 engine balance shaft, I have a question for you - How many miles did you have on your car when you first got the CEL with the corresponding codes indicating the balance shaft issue? I currently have 68k on my 06 e350 4matic and the guys at the MB shop are somewhat confident that I may be out of the woods so to speak, regarding this known defect (fingers crossed). They indicated that nearly all of the balance shaft fixes that they've done have occurred prior to 60k with rare occurences showing up with higher mileage than that. So again, just curious - How many miles did you have when you were hit with this problem? thx all, in advance.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:49 AM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
2007 E350 Sedan
Originally Posted by 801
For those of you that have had the unfortunate situation of having to replace the defective M272 engine balance shaft, I have a question for you - How many miles did you have on your car when you first got the CEL with the corresponding codes indicating the balance shaft issue? I currently have 68k on my 06 e350 4matic and the guys at the MB shop are somewhat confident that I may be out of the woods so to speak, regarding this known defect (fingers crossed). They indicated that nearly all of the balance shaft fixes that they've done have occurred prior to 60k with rare occurences showing up with higher mileage than that. So again, just curious - How many miles did you have when you were hit with this problem? thx all, in advance.
I was at about 75K, and I was told that was pretty high.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB 2006 E350 4matic
06 e350 CEL

Hello 801,

I replied earlier to your last thread on the balance shaft issue. I'll surmise what I wrote here since this thread is newer.

I bought my 06 E350 2 weeks ago, have driven it 1,100 trouble free miles with 123k now on the odo. CEL has been on the whole time with fault code p0017. (right bank camshaft pos. sensor) The mech said that it looked to him that the engine has been out of the car at some point and that most likely the onboard computer isn't recognizing the repair. (because I replaced the right bank sensor at a cost of $210 to no avail concerning the CEL)

Most likely, given the mileage, I am out of the woods. I would think that if you hit 80k on mileage you are certainly trouble free. I am currently experiencing no engine power loss or problems otherwise. The car looks and drives as if it were new. Only issue is the CEL and a squeek coming from the blower fan when the a/c blows on low speed.