E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

My CPO Horror Story and why I left the brand

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 E320 Bluetec
Exclamation My CPO Horror Story and why I left the brand

Let's start with the facts: I'm no newbie. I've owned 10 cars in my life and 4 of them have been Mercedes. I had a new 2004 E500, a new 2007 CLS550, a new 2008 GL320 CDI, and finally, a CPO 2009 E320 Bluetec.

I purchased said Bluetec from Mercedes of Buckhead in Atlanta on May 7th of 2011. Alpine White with Premium 1 and Full Leather Packages, a Florida car with 26,199 miles. I flew to Atlanta from Raleigh to pick up the car, inspect it, and drive it home. Visually, it was great. On the test drive I suspected the tires were overinflated (which they were) and the car was out of alignment. I was told the car had been aligned when the new tires were put on and it was probably just flat spots. I purchased the extended CPO warranty to 135K miles and went on my way. On the ride home, the car shook violently over 70mph and the satellite radio and Tele-Aid/mbrace, were both non-functional.

Upon my return home, I emailed my salesperson to say that the car was still shaking and the Tele-Aid and Sirius weren't working and that I would be taking it to have the alignment and balance checked. The response I received was: "Thanks for the update and I know you will enjoy the car. Wow...36 MPG...that's great. Keep me posted and have fun with your car! Thank you again for your business! John"

Definitely not concerned.

A month later when my tags hadn't shown up and I called the dealership, no one knew what was going on. The paperwork hadn't been sent to NC, the taxes hadn't been paid. Nothing had happened. At the end of it all, I paid a 600 DOLLAR doc fee all so I could go down to the DMV myself, do the paperwork and get my own tags. This was after they REPEATEDLY assured me, "We do this ALL THE TIME."

Over the next 11 months, I had the tires replaced, dash rattle fixed, the satellite radio module replaced (twice), 4 alignments, 4 visits to have the transmission repaired (3 times it was re-adapted and on the 4th, solenoids, the K1 clutch pack and B1 snap rings were replaced), COMAND system replaced, the antenna replaced, rear differential replaced, camber bolt kits installed on the front end to rectify pulling to right on a car that was supposedly perfectly aligned, the sunroof refused to close and was repaired.....

And much of this only happened AFTER I involved MBUSA in the process. Previously I was repeatedly told, "there are no codes" or "we can't duplicate the problem". After the last transmission repair, I told myself if it wasn't right, I was getting rid of the car. Well, after having my car for over 2 weeks in the months of March and April, I drove off the lot and the transmission banged around just as it always had.

There are 48,000 miles on the car and as a side note, I meticulously maintain my vehicles. In less than a year I spent over 1,900 dollars on oil changes, flushes, filter changes and every manner of "preventative maintenance".

I drove straight to the Lexus dealer to find a less worrisome means of transportation. Upon their inspection of my car, they noted something interesting. The paint meter indicated the paint on the fender and hood to be "thinner" than the rest of the car. Upon further inspection, they noticed the VIN numbers on those panels didn't match the rest of the car.

Bottom line: The car had been in an accident, it was never reported to Carfax, Auto Check or noted by Mercedes of Buckhead in their CPO inspection. Next thing I know, I'm dealing with diminished value of my car b/c it's been wrecked.

I emailed Mercedes of Buckhead requesting a conference call with my salesperson (whom I HAD NOT heard from ONE time in a year of owning the car) and the general manager. He replied the manager was out of town, but I could contact him (the salesperson), or he'd have the manager call me when he got back to town. I emailed back, outlining ALL of my concerns, from day 1 to today, continued to insist on a conference call, and lo and behold..... NO RESPONSE.

2 Weeks later, NO RESPONSE.

I write this as a former Mercedes loyalist, and someone who doesn't want to see anyone end up in the same position I did. Certification is NOT the holy grail of pre-owned cars. They are lazy, and things probably make it through that shouldn't. In the bigger picture, the dealers don't care. They made the sale.

Caveat Emptor! (Buyer Beware)
Old 04-19-2012, 09:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
W211 E63
mafitch, I feel bad for your troublesome experience. Being in the used car field my self there are a lot of tricks and sneaky things dealerships could do.

1) The paint on the meter prob was "thicker" meaning it was repainted. Usually 5.0-5.5 is clean, anything above 6.5-8.0 I would be worried.

2) Car fax and car check only record accidents when police are involved. Perhaps the previous owner used the car as a lease and was fixed up to be brought to acceptable condition, doesn't necessary mean it was in accident tho. When buying a used car instead of asking for carfax, ask if the car had any previous paint work done to it, and if they don't know, ask them to check it by meter, if they seem reluctant. Please move on, that's just unprofessional.

3) About the electrical and mechanical problems, i can't say anything, that's just... too much. Especially for a car with 30,000ish miles.

isn't the blutec diesel? I thought those things run till infinity 300k+
Old 04-19-2012, 09:05 PM

2009 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by fila0220
mafitch, I feel bad for your troublesome experience. Being in the used car field my self there are a lot of tricks and sneaky things dealerships could do.

1) The paint on the meter prob was "thicker" meaning it was repainted. Usually 5.0-5.5 is clean, anything above 6.5-8.0 I would be worried.

2) Car fax and car check only record accidents when police are involved. Perhaps the previous owner used the car as a lease and was fixed up to be brought to acceptable condition, doesn't necessary mean it was in accident tho. When buying a used car instead of asking for carfax, ask if the car had any previous paint work done to it, and if they don't know, ask them to check it by meter, if they seem reluctant. Please move on, that's just unprofessional.

3) About the electrical and mechanical problems, i can't say anything, that's just... too much. Especially for a car with 30,000ish miles.

isn't the blutec diesel? I thought those things run till infinity 300k+
That was the plan...., but apparently not.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:07 PM

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
2007 E350; 2018 GLE350
Buckhead is waiting for your lawyer to speak to their lawyer. I don't think they're going to say anything to you. It sounds like some major fraud occurred and the dealership is going to avoid saying anything to you that may boomerang back to bite them in the butt. I don't know anything about this other than what you posted ... but it sure sounds like Buckhead has screwed you over.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:36 PM

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
asdas
Man, sucks. I was looking far and wide for a good CPO W211 last year, thinking the CPO warranty and inspection would be enough to ease my worries. Unfortunately, almost every single W211 I drove had at least one glaring thing wrong with it and that made me disbelieve they could possibly have passed a "rigorous" inspection. What a load of bull.

Sounds like MB has done a ton of warranty work for you though. You should try to get MBUSA on your side against the dealership by sending them documentation about the paint.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
CLS550 4Matic, C43, E350, ML350
I say take them to court (the dealership) or take it to MBUSA. If it was CPO and they didn't check the paint work, they should have stated something was wrong with the car.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
Def a valid case for fraud/deception on the dealer. So called 150pt inspection and none of the problems were found?
Old 04-20-2012, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 514 Likes on 431 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
Hold their feet to thet fire, and see how long they scream !! As they will do this again to others.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Think your problems are not with the brand but with the dealer. As stated by others I would report this to MBUSA and also take legal action against the dealer. They will most likely roll over and offer a refund.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Current: 2011 W212 Previous: 2008 W211 2006 550 2001 Rover 1997 W210
I bought a CPO 2008 w211 from Beverly Hills MB about 1.5 years ago and had problems myself.

Within the first week, the car flashed the warning for the car overheating. Took the car in and they claimed rodents had damaged the fan. Marked my car in their system and since it was outside influences, they stuck me with the repair bills. Since that first week, the car overheated again two more times within the first month of ownership. Took the car in each time and they stuck me with the bill for repairs to this and that. Each time i had the car in service, i tried getting the help of the salesperson, manager, and head of service to help with no luck. The car overheated again for the fourth time and i got a lemon law lawyer involved.

Got all of my money back minus the money i spent to repair the car and money spent to mod the car and then unmod the car.

I looked around for another CPO w211 after i got paid and decided to spend the extra 10k and get a new w212 back in the end of 2010. Nothing beats the peace of mind i have now from making that decision to buy new.

CPOs dont mean **** and unless u get lucky with a cool tech at the stealership, they can make anything your fault and stick you with the problems.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:09 AM

2009 E350
Refund?! You are entitled to other compensation. You time, effort, and most importantly the fraud is worth $$$.

Also hit more sites (6speedonline.com, etc) and share this ALL over the net. The more the better. MB of Buckhead needs to make amends. If MBUSA does not help, F them too. This is a fight worth pursuing.
Please keep us informed.

BTW my friend is a president of a community bank in Atlanta, Im going to tell him to stop doing any biz w/ this dealer.

Last edited by kosmo; 04-20-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:17 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is all too common lately, and not just at MB. This is why I have my business and people hire me to get them cars. Because like a lawyer, when I am retained to buy a car for a client, it's YOUR interests I am lookjing out for, not some dealership profit.

When CPO was first introduced, the checklist and warranty were geat. Now with program more mature, lots of competition, and bad economy, many dealers take shortcuts; they don't do the full inspection, buy weaker cars and 'improve' their marketability by putting the CPO stamp on them, let problems slide knowing MB will pay for it while under CPO, etc. At the same time, the manufacturers like MB are cutting back on CPO (from two years to one year, no longer including airmatic or ABC struts, etc).

I stand next to the buyers from franchised dealers at the auctions. They buy cars I would NEVER buy for my clients, because they get them cheap, fix them up cheap, and sell them for huge profit.

Also, CPO does not mean your car was never in an accident, and never had any body or paintwork. It just means that the title is clear (no salvage, junk. flood, rebuilt, etc) and it was not in an accident worth over 50% of its value to repair.

Buyer beware.

Bruce
Old 04-20-2012, 11:31 AM

2009 E350
Bruce youre right.
I hate the fact that MB's cpo is **** poor at just 1yr. BMW and others are like 2 yrs.
What wrong w/ them.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:39 AM

2009 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by kosmo
Bruce youre right.
I hate the fact that MB's cpo is **** poor at just 1yr. BMW and others are like 2 yrs.
What wrong w/ them.
Even Audi offers two years (and their reliability is hardly stellar),or Lexus for instance, already known for reliability, and willing to CPO their vehicles for 3 years or 100,000 miles.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by Becks Imports
At the same time, the manufacturers like MB are cutting back on CPO (from two years to one year, no longer including airmatic or ABC struts, etc).
Just curious, when did the CPO program start not including Airmatic and ABC? I thought those components were covers as they are integral components of the car.

I can agree with some of the comments above regarding the CPO warranty. When my Airmatic failed once I was given the run-arund by both the dealer and MBUSA. This issue has yet to be fixed. You can see the details at: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w211...aler-cant.html

They can keep screwing customers over only for so long. Look at what happened to the American auto industry when customers finally got sick of things. Same will happen to the Germans if they are not careful in handling customers in a responsible and fair way.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 e320 sport
How do you know whether your vehicle qualifies for relief under the NC Lemon Law? If your vehicle was new when you purchased or leased it in North Carolina, you may be entitled to a replacement vehicle or a refund if any of the following apply:
A defect or condition which occurred no later than the first 24 months or 24,000 miles after delivery of the vehicle to you has not been repaired within a reasonable number of attempts; OR

The same problem with your vehicle has been presented for repair four or more times but continues to exist; OR

Your vehicle has been out of service because of repairs for 20 or more business days during any 12-month period of the warranty.
In order to qualify for relief under the NC Lemon Law, the defect that is the basis of your case must also “substantially impair the value of the vehicle to you.” While these qualifications may seem simple enough, there are many ways a manufacturer can contest your case. That is why you need an experienced NC Lemon Law attorney on your side. Because the NC Lemon Law provides that a court can order the manufacturer to pay your attorney fees, we are able to offer our services at no cost to you while your case is ongoing. We receive no attorney fees unless and until your case is settled or won!
Even if you don’t think your vehicle qualifies under the NC Lemon Law, you should still contact us for a free case review. In many situations, we are still able to represent consumers under a Federal law called the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. This law looks at all of the repairs over the course of your vehicle’s warranty, not just the first 24 months or 24,000 miles. Many consumers you do not qualify under for relief under the NC Lemon Law are still able to obtain a substantial cash settlement under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Fill out our form to be contacted by an attorney or call us at (877) 846-1209 for a free consultation and review of your vehicle’s repair history.
To read the entire NC Lemon Law, click here. To read the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

http://www.northcarolinalemonlawlawy...FYRM4AodOhhLbA
Old 04-20-2012, 06:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG Coupe P31
holy S|-|it. i thought i had problems with mercedes. i cant top that. this is probably my last mercedes as well because of some incompetent service advisers. well, i take that back....i probably will get another mercedes but it will be from a different dealership. im going to try out porsche next
Old 04-21-2012, 12:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Someone should forward this thread to Mercedes of Buckhead so they can see the damage they are causing to themselves and the brand.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
From what I remember on CPO cars they weren't suppose to have been in a wreck or body repairs for accidents. If yours was it could not be a CPO but was sold as one. Reduction in value is also a loss due to this sale.

This is clearly a case for the attorney. I would have documentation (If the Lexus will document it on the sheet) and begin the process.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by vettdvr
From what I remember on CPO cars they weren't suppose to have been in a wreck or body repairs for accidents. If yours was it could not be a CPO but was sold as one. Reduction in value is also a loss due to this sale.

This is clearly a case for the attorney. I would have documentation (If the Lexus will document it on the sheet) and begin the process.
I read the CPO fine print and the bottom line is that the car is to be sold under the exact same specifications it left the factory. I would say that constant alignment and driveability issues are contrary to factory specs due to some accident so the car should not have been sold CPO to begin with and if they are not willing to make this right it is fraud as they misrepresented what they sold.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
More than Mercedes of Buckhead, someone should forward this to MBUSA. Wow I really feel bad for you, I was nervous about my used vehicle but luckily the minor issues with the car initially (just a cracked handle and bulb out) could be mitigated quite easily.

Beware though, I know suing can seem like the easiest option as they DID commit a tort against you under civil law, but it can be a lengthy process and not worth the money and time. Explore your options wisely that's all the advice I can give.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:51 AM

2009 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by AMGAffalterbach
More than Mercedes of Buckhead, someone should forward this to MBUSA. Wow I really feel bad for you, I was nervous about my used vehicle but luckily the minor issues with the car initially (just a cracked handle and bulb out) could be mitigated quite easily.

Beware though, I know suing can seem like the easiest option as they DID commit a tort against you under civil law, but it can be a lengthy process and not worth the money and time. Explore your options wisely that's all the advice I can give.
Thanks everyone for the suggestions and support. Obviously, I'd rather not mount a full on legal battle, but I feel like they bank on that. I have the resources with which to do it, so it's not out of the question if the end result is keeping the same thing from happening to someone else. The validation is worth more than any settlement. I'm scheduled to talk to the GM at MB of Buckhead on Monday. I will, of course, keep everyone posted.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
Thank you for doing so, and I truly get the motivation behind it - it's the principle not the money necessarily but what they did was unjust. Good luck!
Old 05-26-2012, 07:28 PM

Mercedes Benz GLK350
CPO programs are hit and miss. I went through a similar, although less egregious experience with a GM CPO vehicle. I bought it and it needed a lot of work that their zillion point inspection should have made apparent. In my case I got the dealer to kick in for the repairs the car needed.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:11 PM

W203-4M W163
Originally Posted by vettdvr

That's what I thought too--no accidents for CPO or else wouldn't qualify.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: My CPO Horror Story and why I left the brand