ESP problem solved by forums

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E350, 2006 C280 4Matic
ESP problem solved by forums

I recently took my 2006 E350 to the shop to get brake fluid flush as a
maintenance procedure. Just $140 so I figured not too bad. Until I started driving home and the "ESP warning - visit workshop" came on the dash. I brought it back and they said it shouldn't be related to the brake flush. They checked the code and it was a bad steering angle sensor. It would be about $525 for parts and labor to replace
This was just waaayy to much of a coincidence for me since I haven't had problems with the car for 3 years.

I came home and searched the forums to find out that this code and message are typically due to the battery disconnect and the steering needs to be recalibrated. So I tried the recommended procedure and it did not work. When I called the shop they said they had tried that too. I tried again that night but the warning came back. However, much to my delight, the message did not come back on the next day and it seems to be resolved now. I'm not sure why it didn't go away immediately but I am glad I tried a few times and waited another day.

Thanks to the forum members who share their expertise about these issues. It definitely saved me money (the dealership quoted $1100).
Old 08-08-2012, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
Originally Posted by stingray71
I recently took my 2006 E350 to the shop to get brake fluid flush as a
maintenance procedure. Just $140 so I figured not too bad. Until I started driving home and the "ESP warning - visit workshop" came on the dash. I brought it back and they said it shouldn't be related to the brake flush. They checked the code and it was a bad steering angle sensor. It would be about $525 for parts and labor to replace
This was just waaayy to much of a coincidence for me since I haven't had problems with the car for 3 years.

I came home and searched the forums to find out that this code and message are typically due to the battery disconnect and the steering needs to be recalibrated. So I tried the recommended procedure and it did not work. When I called the shop they said they had tried that too. I tried again that night but the warning came back. However, much to my delight, the message did not come back on the next day and it seems to be resolved now. I'm not sure why it didn't go away immediately but I am glad I tried a few times and waited another day.

Thanks to the forum members who share their expertise about these issues. It definitely saved me money (the dealership quoted $1100).
I know very,very little about cars...or this particular problem.However,I've had a recent experience with my battery having been disconnected.Recently,I took my Bluetec in to have a recall addressed.Shortly thereafter I had my car tested for its usual annual state emissions sticker.It flunked.I asked why and the guy said "probably because the battery was recently disconnected".He said "bring it back in a few weeks and it will probably be OK".And it was! So it seems that disconnecting the battery can potentially affect numerous functions.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 e550
I had the same problem but it wouldnt go away. A battery disconnect didn't cause it either. Sometimes it would take more than a day for the ESP like to come on and sometime right after I start up. Dealership fixed it for $500. replaced Yaw sensor and recalibrated the steering angle sensor. So far so good.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
ESP always comes on after I have the bat disconnected for a while. I have been installing new airmatic struts and the bat has been disconnected for a week now. I expect to see it shining brightly but I can ignore it, it will go off after a few cycles.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E350, 2006 C280 4Matic
My ESP warning has been off for a week now so it seems that it just needed a few cycles. I definitely would have been out at least $525 if I hadn't searched the forum. So far, the only real "problem" I have had with the car is a squeak in the engine. I was able to diagnose this by searching the forums as a squeaking pulley (a fairly common problem). The indy MB mechanic confirmed this and replaced it.