E-Class (W211) 2003-2009
Old 06-17-2015, 07:25 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Steering and Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Lowering Springs and front wheel gap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 10:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pewter W211
Lowering Springs and front wheel gap

First off I know the lowering spring topic has come up many, many times and yes I did a search through all the threads to find the answer I was looking for but was unable to which is why I'm posting this.

I just purchased an '03 E320. The wheel gap is horrible and I'll be installing lowering springs. After my search Eibach seem to have the best ride quality but my worry now is simply the front wheel gap. Will the lowering springs lower the rear where it sits right on the tires but even with a 1.5" drop or so up front I'll still be stuck with a nasty gap. What is the best way to get an even lowering all around.

Attached is a picture of how the car looked when I bought it two weeks ago. Since then I've added C63 AMG wheels, tinted the windows to 20%, added HID headlights, foglights, and LED parking lights, JBSpeed race style pedals, and had custom floor mats made.

Attached Thumbnails Lowering Springs and front wheel gap-mb-1.jpg  
Old 08-29-2012, 10:53 PM

Pewter W211
I appologize, after rereading my post I do appear to be rambling LOL. What I'm asking is will simply installing lowering springs give me a nice even look without the wheel gap and if not what do I need to do in order to get the correct look.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:39 PM

E350
That front wheel gap looks excessive, even for stock. What size wheels/tires does the car have on it in that photo? It almost looks like someone has added a spring spacer or stiffer springs, or the tire/wheels are way too small.

The Eibachs will give you just a little over an inch of drop and it looks like you have almost 3"of gap in that photo.

I would raise the car up and see if there are spacers between the top of the strut and the strut mounting pad, or a spacer under the springs. The gap just looks way too big to be stock. Mercedes offers different thicknesses of spacers for ride height adjustment so possibly someone has put in the thickest spacers for some reason.

If there isn't any obvious modification and the springs appear to be OE, your only choice may be coil overs, which are adjustable to 2.5 inches of drop. But they are a lot more expensive.

Here are some pictures of mine before and after and you can see how much smaller my wheel/fender gap was in the before photo compared to yours.

Maybe after the weather clears a bit for you, a photo with the new wheels and tires will make a big difference.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:18 AM

Pewter W211
Before I bought the car I created a thread about the wheel gap because it did seem excessive to me but the individuals who replied stated it was normal.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...wheel-gap.html

I have every reciept from when the car was new (one owner car) so I'll go through those and see if I can find anything but I will look under the car as well.

What about ordering some 5mm spring pads to install with the springs? Since they are the smallest ones they have to help lower it down.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:39 AM

Pewter W211
I went ahead and ordered the 5mm spring pads as they were just $5 each so no big deal. The Eibach springs were already ordered so once everything gets here I guess I'll take the stock springs out and see what I have going on then and just play it by ear.

I'll make sure to post up some before and after pictures.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:40 PM

Pewter W211
Here's an updated picture from the side showing the gap with the new wheels.

Attached Thumbnails Lowering Springs and front wheel gap-car.jpg  
Old 08-31-2012, 09:01 PM

E350
The gap doesn't look as large from this angle but it still looks a little large to me. With the 5mm spacers and the Eibach springs I'll bet it will look right.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:06 PM

Pewter W211
Originally Posted by otto6457
The gap doesn't look as large from this angle but it still looks a little large to me. With the 5mm spacers and the Eibach springs I'll bet it will look right.
I hope so but I do believe I'll be able to make it look ok, it might take some work but it'll do.

I think the gap in the second picture looks less than it really is because of the hard shadows as I took in the middle of the day.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:15 PM

Pewter W211
Here's the AFTER picture. They did basicly nothing to lower the car, I've installed lowering springs on many of my cars in the past and have never had anything even close to as bad results as I just did.

I just don't understand it.

Attached Thumbnails Lowering Springs and front wheel gap-2012-09-20_16-06-20_557.jpg  
Old 09-20-2012, 06:27 PM

Pewter W211
Here's a profile picture I took this morning to compare the wheel gap. I measured it and the car only lowered 1/2" with the new springs and pads.

I don't have a choice. I'll have to go back and cut the coils to make them fit which I really don't like doing because that's when you mess up the ride quality.

Attached Thumbnails Lowering Springs and front wheel gap-2012-09-20_08-50-39_460.jpg  
Old 09-20-2012, 08:01 PM

E350
Hey PC

Sorry for the trouble you're having. But, you're right, something odd is going on here.

If I were you I would measure your strut length. It almost looks like the struts are too tall from the bottom of the lower spring perch to the mounting collar on the hub assy. I've seen that on a GTO I lowered a few years ago. The aftermarket strut was a little over an inch longer between the lower perch and the knuckle than the OEM strut. It was pure luck that I happened to measure his strut and compare it to one we had in stock in the parts department. I replaced the struts and the gap closed up to where it was supposed to be.

One other question, when you bounce the front end will the wheel/tire move up into the fender well normally or does it hit the stops before that?

Last edited by otto6457; 09-20-2012 at 08:02 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-20-2012, 09:31 PM

Pewter W211
Hey PC

Sorry for the trouble you're having. But, you're right, something odd is going on here.

If I were you I would measure your strut length. It almost looks like the struts are too tall from the bottom of the lower spring perch to the mounting collar on the hub assy. I've seen that on a GTO I lowered a few years ago. The aftermarket strut was a little over an inch longer between the lower perch and the knuckle than the OEM strut. It was pure luck that I happened to measure his strut and compare it to one we had in stock in the parts department. I replaced the struts and the gap closed up to where it was supposed to be.

One other question, when you bounce the front end will the wheel/tire move up into the fender well normally or does it hit the stops before that?
I appreciate the reply. The struts are the stock ones so I don't believe that's it.
Also the suspension before and after the spring install works perfectly. Just like every other car I've own, it's a little stiffer now but that's it. It isnt hitting the bump stops at all.

I'm just frustrated is all. What should have been an easy couple hour job is going to turn into somthing much larger.

I was ready to start working on the body by getting an E63 front bumper and some other goodies but I'm not going to move onto something else until we get this figured out.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W211
thats pretty bad after springs... are you sure you bought the right springs? or did you check the rates?

maybe they sent you higher rates.. if they did there will be less give in the springs and it wont drop the same, like if they were for an AMG they have v8 so there is more weight in the front so the compensate with higher rates so support the weight. that might be the only thing i can think of, that and you have to let the springs settle.. but you it won't settle a whole lot
Old 09-21-2012, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
On the W211 there are adjustments that can be made with the front strut to adjust ride height. It is similar to the set-up on the SLR. I am not a tech but I know I was able to pull the font of my e320 cdi down over an inch when I installed new struts. I believe there are three levels and I bet your car is sitting on the highest level.

I will ask my associate who did the work how this process takes place. I think this is where the big variability come when people lower their cars.

Also make sure the spring you ordered is for a non sport package W211. They have 3 part numbers for the E320/E350 and they all have different spring heights.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:08 PM

Pewter W211
Originally Posted by Craftysince86
thats pretty bad after springs... are you sure you bought the right springs? or did you check the rates?

maybe they sent you higher rates.. if they did there will be less give in the springs and it wont drop the same, like if they were for an AMG they have v8 so there is more weight in the front so the compensate with higher rates so support the weight. that might be the only thing i can think of, that and you have to let the springs settle.. but you it won't settle a whole lot
Yes they are the correct springs. I thought that as well and checked them a couple times and I am positive they are correct.

Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
On the W211 there are adjustments that can be made with the front strut to adjust ride height. It is similar to the set-up on the SLR. I am not a tech but I know I was able to pull the font of my e320 cdi down over an inch when I installed new struts. I believe there are three levels and I bet your car is sitting on the highest level.

I will ask my associate who did the work how this process takes place. I think this is where the big variability come when people lower their cars.

Also make sure the spring you ordered is for a non sport package W211. They have 3 part numbers for the E320/E350 and they all have different spring heights.
I did triple check the springs to make sure I had the correct ones.
I appreciate you talking to your associate, I look forward to hearing what they say.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:39 PM

Pewter W211
I'm looking at ordering these front struts - http://cart.bilsteinus.com/productsearch/24-069076#

They say they are made for lowered cars so hopefully they'll be what I need but now I'm just confused because of all the mess I have had already.

I've installed lowering springs on many of my previous cars and never had a single issue and now I can't seem to win.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:20 PM

W211
just because they are made for lowered cars doesn't mean they will lower your car... would hate for you to buy them and they don't work out for you.

they could just be re-valved for less travel.

check to see if they are shorter in length or if it seats the spring lower than oem struts.

i would probably just recommend buying full body coil overs and save yourself the hassle and money. at least with full body you know you will get the height you want.

Last edited by Craftysince86; 09-26-2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
2007 SL55 AMG
holy crap the front end is so high off the ground there is noticeable positive camber from a side shot picture.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:06 PM

Pewter W211
Screw it, I just ordered H&R coilovers. That's the only way I know I'll have control of the car and will be able to keep from having all the extra stress if it doesn't work out.

The car is a one owner and the prior owner kept all his receipts. I found one from December 2011 where he took the car in because the driver's side of the car was sitting to low and they replaced the front struts. I looked up the number on them and they installed struts for a W210 (Idiots!). I'm pretty sure that is the reason for the large gap but I still don't want to deal with it and I know having the adjustability of the coilovers will be nice.
The following users liked this post:
Hatchit Rizing (09-27-2023)
Old 09-27-2012, 05:10 PM

Pewter W211
I will be putting up some very lightly (Less than five miles) used Eibach springs for sale. LOL
Old 09-27-2012, 11:21 PM

E350
Originally Posted by ProjectCamaro
Screw it, I just ordered H&R coilovers. That's the only way I know I'll have control of the car and will be able to keep from having all the extra stress if it doesn't work out.

The car is a one owner and the prior owner kept all his receipts. I found one from December 2011 where he took the car in because the driver's side of the car was sitting to low and they replaced the front struts. I looked up the number on them and they installed struts for a W210 (Idiots!). I'm pretty sure that is the reason for the large gap but I still don't want to deal with it and I know having the adjustability of the coilovers will be nice.
That's a good news-bad news sort of deal.

I know you're probably irritated for having to go through all of this just to get your car lowered, but at least you figured it out. Plus, you will love the coil overs. The adjust ability makes it simple to get exactly the stance you want.

So, pictures will be required when you get it all done.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:28 PM

Pewter W211
That's a good news-bad news sort of deal.

I know you're probably irritated for having to go through all of this just to get your car lowered, but at least you figured it out. Plus, you will love the coil overs. The adjust ability makes it simple to get exactly the stance you want.

So, pictures will be required when you get it all done.
You are absolutely right about me being irritated. Lowering a car is such a simple task that has turned into a big ordeal.

Don't worry, I'll take some really good pictures once I get them installed.

I think next on my list is the LED S class style tail lights and then a "body kit". Thinking an E63 front bumper with a carbon fiber splitter but still not sure what to replace the stock rear bumper with quite yet. I don't want something to extreme but the stock E320 is just to bland for my taste.

Then big brake kit and I should be done. At that point I'll move onto some modifications to my motorcycle.

Last edited by ProjectCamaro; 09-27-2012 at 11:32 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:45 PM

Pewter W211
So I ended up buying the H&R coilover kit. I'm in the middle of the install and so far have just done the front and even though I know the picture quality sucks I still thought I'd post it up. In the next week or so I'll get some good pictures taken.

Needless to say I'm happy with the results.

Attached Thumbnails Lowering Springs and front wheel gap-cimg2117.jpg  
Old 10-11-2012, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Lexus GS300, 2007 Lexus GS350
Looks like a whole other car. You're kinda like me. I wouldn't have rested until I got it all sorted out. I hate wheel gap and prolly wouldn't have bought the car sitting that high but at least its ok now.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:15 PM

Pewter W211
Originally Posted by platinumsc
Looks like a whole other car. You're kinda like me. I wouldn't have rested until I got it all sorted out. I hate wheel gap and prolly wouldn't have bought the car sitting that high but at least its ok now.
Thanks, once I get the rear lowered as well I should look really good.

I don't give up that easily.

It's funny because I wasn't even looking at E classes when I came on this car. It was a great deal and a one owner car that had every single receipt from the original purchase to every oil change, emissions test, repair work, etc... Knowing the car had a clean background meant a lot to me so I gave the dealer an offer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Lowering Springs and front wheel gap