E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

dealer replaced interior wood trim with different color

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 04:22 PM

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
2019 E63s
dealer replaced interior wood trim with different color

So the dealer replaced stress cracks in the wood in my 08 E550 4matic under warranty. The wood in my car is a brownish yellow wood all around with a dark red wood on the steering wheel. He replaced the wood on the door panel and around the gear shift lever with dark red wood trim instead of the light yellow/brown trim. It looks terrible. Dealer claims there is only one type of wood in the car and the color must of "changed" over the years. What a bunch of crap. According to the dealer, all the wood trim changed color over the years except for the wood on the steering wheel which is in the sunlight more than all the other wood in the car. Anyway...can someone tell me if there is a different part code for the yellow/brown wood trim for my car? I asked the dealer to order the parts thru my vin this time. Thanks in advance
Old 09-14-2012, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS550 4Matic, C43, E350, ML350
They might be right....I sold a wood wheel with same grain wheel and color to a member and it was slightly off, not much. But it is a possibility they don't want to correct themselves.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS63
when i had to replace a clients wood trim on their 212 for a crack it was a 3 month process because they use real wood and it will be a different color. I had to contact MB and they had to open up countless "kits" of wood that they were assembling for the fading concern on the 212's to find one that matched the one i sent in to them to compare with. They would have ordered it with your VIN the first time. hate to say it but you may be outta luck. Is it warranty? if so have them replace all the wood to match
Old 09-14-2012, 04:41 PM

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
2019 E63s
shyte....will they really replace all the wood around the car to match? Is this a realistic request?
Old 09-14-2012, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07' SL65, 04' E55, 03' Evo8, 08' GSXR, DSM's...
The sun will make it fade in color.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Also, in most cases across all brands, the steering wheel wood is a different type of wood than the dash wood but is stained /detailed to match as closely as possible. (Anyone with a gray wood steering wheel in direct sunlight along with the dash wood can immediately see that the base wood color of the wheel is a totally different color and really yellow wood!)

The reason for the difference is because the frequently handled wheel must be made of a harder wood than the dash pieces so as not to dent from rings, watches etc.

That being said, get a print out of all the build codes (from the Data Sheet), see what the wood is supposed to be and compare it to what was installed. If they did order the right wood, then the sun's UV rays have faded your other wood. (Yeah, but the windshield blocks UV rays... that's why your photochromic lenses don't darken much in the daytime)

There's got to be a reason why it is so far off color.