E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Possible SBC Failure?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 12:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 GLC 300 4Matic
Exclamation Possible SBC Failure?

I think my SBC may be on the way out but I just wanted to hear other's opinions on the matter. I replaced my front brakes & rotors 2 months ago and a local indy shop that is a MBCA technical member. I then had Service A performed 1 month ago at a dealer. Just for background info, I had the rear pads & rotors replaced last year and Service B done at the same indy shop. 2 weeks ago I started noticing a mushy brake pedal feel whenever I stepped on the brakes and a noticeable decline in braking, almost as if my brakes were on their way out.

Nothing was reported by the dealer after Service A and my front brakes are new and rears only a year old (rears wear slower than fronts) so I found this mushy pedal feel odd. Today as I was parallel parking a message appeared on the instrument cluster but not the Red SBC message of death, rather this message said "Service Brake Service Required" against the normal background color of the cluster. Can this be an early warning sign that my SBC is in need of replacement? I have a 2006 E350 4matic so I am still within the 10 year warranty even though the CPO warranty is over.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:36 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,048 Likes on 970 Posts
1999 E300TD
Based on what you reported, I doubt that the issue is with the overall SBC system.

If you had an issue you dash would light up---------------In any event not knowing whether the issue is F or R or lines I would take the car back to the last group that worked on the brakes(two weeks ago)--------and ask for their assistance.

However before doing that I would check my fluid level and visually inspect all connections. Good Luck
Old 11-09-2012, 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Check fluid level. Sounds like air in the system after brake job.