E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

NO!!!!! Airmatic E550???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 02:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gets me from point A-B
Angry NO!!!!! Airmatic E550???

I just purchased a 2007 e550 last week and barely drove it like 100 miles so far. Car is great but yesterday as I was coming home from the grocery store I see a message in the display "Airmatic Malfunction." Then I stop at a light and it flashes "Car Too Low. STOP" And I started panicking so I drove home and parked in my garage. I get out of the car and the fenders are covering the wheels on all four corners like it has no suspension! WTF? I popped the hood and I see from the strut on the driver side that one of the plastic lines that goes into the strut is popped out and idk why. I drive like a grandma and never hit any bumps potholes etc. It only has 68000 miles. Did I buy a lemon? Am I screwed? E550's aren't as unreliable as early w211's from my research so what gives? I don't have extended warranty btw. Should I convince the dealer to buy back the car?
Old 12-17-2012, 03:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 E55 AMG, 06 C55 AMG, 72 350SL
Do a search on ABC to learn as much as you can. I would have it towed to the dealer and have them diagnose what is causing it. That way you know how much it will cost to fix
Old 12-17-2012, 07:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts
2011 E63, 2011 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 v8, 2013 GMC Denali XL, 1965 Ford Mustang, 2005 Merc. E500
Originally Posted by benzlvr2500
I just purchased a 2007 e550 last week and barely drove it like 100 miles so far. Car is great but yesterday as I was coming home from the grocery store I see a message in the display "Airmatic Malfunction." Then I stop at a light and it flashes "Car Too Low. STOP" And I started panicking so I drove home and parked in my garage. I get out of the car and the fenders are covering the wheels on all four corners like it has no suspension! WTF? I popped the hood and I see from the strut on the driver side that one of the plastic lines that goes into the strut is popped out and idk why. I drive like a grandma and never hit any bumps potholes etc. It only has 68000 miles. Did I buy a lemon? Am I screwed? E550's aren't as unreliable as early w211's from my research so what gives? I don't have extended warranty btw. Should I convince the dealer to buy back the car?
It may just be the air line that you say is popped out. reconnect it or get a kit to redo the end with a new compression fitting(about ($5.00). With the airline loose the air compressor cannot keep up and will run too much and burn up its the electric motor. So do not drive the car with line popped out. Dont panic yet, it may not be expensive at all.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gets me from point A-B
Originally Posted by homeofstone
It may just be the air line that you say is popped out. reconnect it or get a kit to redo the end with a new compression fitting(about ($5.00). With the airline loose the air compressor cannot keep up and will run too much and burn up its the electric motor. So do not drive the car with line popped out. Dont panic yet, it may not be expensive at all.
Thanks homeofstone, you were right! It was just an airmatic line that popped out and I got the brass fittings for the struts on both sides replaced; everything is good now