power steering whining

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
power steering whining

Ok here's the issue, (2003 E500) I am 1200 miles from home and 2 days ago on start up the ps started whining. 125000 miles. I did a search on my lap top found NAPA bought a can of new correct type synthetic fluid. I could not do a full flush but I did suction out the resivour and refill. I plan to do this again but do to really cold temps I haven't checked to see if it is still whining. the old fluid did spell burned. I really don't want to hunt out a repair shop but want to keep this going and hopefully the cycle of new fluid will help. I don't know how much fluid the total system holds but I put about 1/2 qt in the resivour after suctioning it out.

Has anyone had this issue and any advice would be appreciated.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320
hey vettdvr........

I had a similar issue in September and did exactly the same thing you did by removing some of the ps fluid.

Had it checked out and it was the air conditioner compressor with the issue and it was replaced.

Just a thought.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:37 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
2003 E500, 2004 G35X
Originally Posted by vettdvr
Ok here's the issue, (2003 E500) I am 1200 miles from home and 2 days ago on start up the ps started whining. 125000 miles. I did a search on my lap top found NAPA bought a can of new correct type synthetic fluid. I could not do a full flush but I did suction out the resivour and refill. I plan to do this again but do to really cold temps I haven't checked to see if it is still whining. the old fluid did spell burned. I really don't want to hunt out a repair shop but want to keep this going and hopefully the cycle of new fluid will help. I don't know how much fluid the total system holds but I put about 1/2 qt in the resivour after suctioning it out.

Has anyone had this issue and any advice would be appreciated.
Is it still making noise? I did a similar one last year and was cured, but make sure the level is correct. I had to refill it after the fluid is hot and the noise went away. Doubt it's the AC compressor in this weather as suggested.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Today it was only 38 F on startup and quiet didn't make noise. I plan to suction out and refill again. Still have 1200 more miles to go before I can even think of repairs and possible major snow in the next day or so. More to come. Glad to know you did the same thing maybe I have a shot at getting it home.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320
The diagnostic procedure used was as prescribed by MB by isolating both the compressor and ps pump to determine the noise/whining by redirecting the serpentine belt from the compressor clutch and pump. The clutch on the compressor was the issue.

A complete unit was replaced and I was not charged for the compressor/evacu. /dryer etc. service as it was misdiagnosed by the shop. The ps was never an issue. Hope this helps.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by platinumblue
The diagnostic procedure used was as prescribed by MB by isolating both the compressor and ps pump to determine the noise/whining by redirecting the serpentine belt from the compressor clutch and pump. The clutch on the compressor was the issue.

A complete unit was replaced and I was not charged for the compressor/evacu. /dryer etc. service as it was misdiagnosed by the shop. The ps was never an issue. Hope this helps.
My MB doesn't have a a/c clutch it is designed to run continuous with variable pressure output.