Pulling to Right/New Wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 Porsche 997TT
I have the same problem with A/S

Quick history: My pre-nav car did not pull with the stock conti's. My NAV car did not pull with the stock conti's. I purhcased 18" AMG wheels with SO-3 and it did not pull. I bought another set of AMG wheels w/ pilot sport A/S for the winter and it pulled. The seller was very helpful, sent out new tires to try etc. I felt like a pit crew worker I was changing tires so often for a week. I put one tire on that they sent and I thought it was better, but afte some driving it was no better.

With the staggered setup there are very few choices in this size. The AVS is one I know of. The car is going in for service in 1000 miles, so i'll have them check it out to see if they can make it any better.
Old 01-29-2004, 06:54 PM

is it really just the alignment? i just had the bolt kit put on by my dealer. the car seems to drive staighter, but will still tend to follow the arc in the road.

on a test drive..the foreman was driving. we went to this 'nice area' on a hwy. the car drifted to the right. we stopped and i got in the drivers seat. same road, it started drifting to the LEFT. it was all i could do but laugh. he said, it's the road.

is this problem only on the airmatics? it's got to do something with the ride height the computer changes.

i had a 3 series for 80k miles and never never had an alignment or a drift.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S4
Originally posted by e500
Indirectly. The camber kit will allow the dealer to adjust the camber in order to correct the pulling or drifting to the right.

Contrary to what is implied in all the previous posts, barring a defect, tires do not cause cars to pull in any direction on their own. Only misalignment will. Some tires will accentuate the misalignment more than others which is probably what you're experiencing. Performance tires with good handling and turn in characteristics such as Michin Pilot Sports or Continental Contact Sports 2 will tend to accentuate a misalignment. They also tend to follow longitudianal grooves in the road. Touring tires such as Continental Conti Touring"s handling response and turn in is not as sharp as the other tires mentioned and they will make this misalignment less apparent.

Because of E classe's alignment settings, the car will readily follow any changes in the road surface from perfect horizontal. Most roads are slightly angled to the right for water runoff.

Your dealer should be able to align your car perfectly. Mine did and it could not be any closeer to perfectly straight.

looks like a lot of people have had similar issues with alignment...

i had the problem with my stock wheels and tires, then it got worse when i got the michelen pilot sport a/s put on...
got the camber kit fix and two alignments done after the new wheels,,, and the steering is now all out of wack (pulls to left sometimes, pulls to the right sometimes ...

I'm just going to live with it---i think it may have to do with the car and the curve of roads in my area as well.