E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Pulling to Right/New Wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E550
Pulling to Right/New Wheels

I put 18x8 AMG wheels and 240 40 18 Michelin's on my car. I had not had the pulling to the right problem before. Now I do. I'm taking it in tomorrow for this and an audio problem.

I wonder if they will give me grief about covering the "pulling to the right" problem under warranty? I heard somewhere on this board that the dealer will give you an alignment in the first 12000 miles no questions asked. (Assuming this is the problem). Anyone else heard this? Anyone got any good arguments to get the issue covered by warranty. I am going to argue that these wheels and tires are an option on my car so I really didn't do anything Mercedes didn't expect.
Old 08-05-2003, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you running Michelin Pilot Sport A/S? If so, you've won the "pulling to the right" contest by Michelin!! :p
Old 08-05-2003, 08:05 PM

2010 E550
Originally posted by Harris
Are you running Michelin Pilot Sport A/S? If so, you've won the "pulling to the right" contest by Michelin!! :p
Yes I am. What are you talking about? I had them on my 98 E430 and didn't have the problem. Is there a problem with these tires? Design, Manufacture?
Old 08-05-2003, 09:22 PM

Let's see...you bought new rims...you bought new tires...and now you're concerned about getting a "free" alignment under warranty?!
Old 08-05-2003, 10:34 PM

2010 E550
Originally posted by gobenz
Let's see...you bought new rims...you bought new tires...and now you're concerned about getting a "free" alignment under warranty?!
Well, you know what they say: "Know why there are so many virgins in the world?.................No one bothered to ask".
Old 08-05-2003, 10:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
??? Almost every post on this forum concerning "pulling to the right", including mine, was by cars running Conti's. This is the first one I have seen with the Pilot A/S's.

Give us some more information on what you know about problems with the Pilot's. I am picking my replacement E500 next week and plan to switch the Conti's to the Pilot A/S.

I had great expectations that they would be much quieter, ride better, and not pull to the right.
Old 08-05-2003, 10:46 PM

2010 E550
I'd like to hear that from Harris myself. Because your expectations about ride, noise and handling won't be dashed!
Old 08-05-2003, 10:58 PM

02 996 C2 Cabrio
Are you getting uneven tire wear?

If you didn't have pulling probs before, then something has changed. Did you whack any pot holes that may have upset your alignment?

Do you have any "humming" on the road at highway speeds possibly indicating an uneven (non-trued) tire?

Sounds like a simple alignment issue... good luck!
Old 08-06-2003, 05:59 AM

2003 W211 E240
My car is running with Pirelli P7, I also have "pull to right" problem
I think this problem is not tire per se
Old 08-06-2003, 08:34 AM

W211 & Q7
common sense

you need a alignment after

1. having new tires
2. having new rims
3. rotating tires

of course, you can ignore alignment but you may find that your car is pulling to the right/left.
Old 08-06-2003, 01:42 PM
RAI
Almost a Member!

2003 E 500
I had BOTH pulling to the right and wheel/tire shake that I could not get rid of despite repeated rebalancings.

I cured them both with a switch from the std Contis to Michelins, and a VERY thorough realignment by the dealer. I've never had a problem with Michelins, and every time I have a different brand I wind up with a negative experience. I've had Pirellis that roared once the tread was partly worn, Dunlops that I couldn't get to balance out and pulled to one side, and my late and unlamented Contis that pulled and shook- you name it. Never a problem with Michelins!
Old 08-06-2003, 11:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
E 63S Wagon Renntech, E55 Renntech, SL65, SL 55 030, ML, bunch of old ones--they come, they go...
Michelin is aware ....

of the pulling problem with the A/S. They of course will deny this, but when you begin to mention it to your customer service person on the phone, they'll get someone else on the phone to talk with you. Basically, they just want to see how much you know and what you're willing to put up with. I've got several customers with the A/S who've got the "rights", and it has been going on for nearly a year now. Although Michelin has great tires, they have customer and dealer care that is just as lousy as the product is good. Solution? No one that I know has so far heard a solution. Be curious to know though. Hope this helps you.
Old 08-06-2003, 11:55 PM

E500, Corvette Z06
AMG wheels

Are these the "real" staggered AMG E55 wheels or knock offs? I think they look great!

James
Old 08-07-2003, 02:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Michelin is aware ....

Originally posted by allenjdmb
of the pulling problem with the A/S. They of course will deny this, but when you begin to mention it to your customer service person on the phone, they'll get someone else on the phone to talk with you. Basically, they just want to see how much you know and what you're willing to put up with. I've got several customers with the A/S who've got the "rights", and it has been going on for nearly a year now. Although Michelin has great tires, they have customer and dealer care that is just as lousy as the product is good. Solution? No one that I know has so far heard a solution. Be curious to know though. Hope this helps you.
This is exactly what I was referring to. That is what I was told from my service advisor. In addition, I was told not all Michelin Pilot Sport and Pilot Sport A/S has the exact same treads. Some treads are different than others, depending on the place/month of manufacturing. Therefore, some has the pull to the right problems and some dont. And because of the repeated problems with Contis, MB doesnt use them on most of their cars anymore.

STKLAW: I dont think any of the MB cars come with Pilot Sport A/S as standard tires (I'm not exactly sure), maybe its tougher for you to ask your dealer to warrant that.
Old 08-07-2003, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Re: Re: Michelin is aware ....

This is exactly what I was referring to. That is what I was told from my service advisor. In addition, I was told not all Michelin Pilot Sport and Pilot Sport A/S has the exact same treads. Some treads are different than others, depending on the place/month of manufacturing. Therefore, some has the pull to the right problems and some dont. And because of the repeated problems with Contis, MB doesnt use them on most of their cars anymore.

STKLAW: I dont think any of the MB cars come with Pilot Sport A/S as standard tires (I'm not exactly sure), maybe its tougher for you to ask your dealer to warrant that.
Wow! I almost dropped 800 bucks on a set of pilot sport A/S, glad i didn't now! I am going to go with Pirelli Pzero nero M+S or Toyo T1S.
Old 08-07-2003, 10:42 AM

my dealer replaced my tires from mich mxm4 to the pilot sport. the ride is smoother but the car has once again a slight drift to the right (like with the conts). also, i don't get an ultra smooth ride until i drive for 30 miles. i'm running 35psi front and 40 rear.
Old 08-07-2003, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
Re: Re: Michelin is aware ....

Does the problem exist with the Pilot A/S (not the sport model) also, or is it only reported with the Pilot Sport A/S?
Old 08-08-2003, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Re: Re: Michelin is aware ....

Originally posted by etenn
Does the problem exist with the Pilot A/S (not the sport model) also, or is it only reported with the Pilot Sport A/S?
Pilot Sport A/S has more problem than any other Michelins. I havent heard any Pilot problems, I guess this is due to the fact that when people are buying Michelin, they always buy Pilot Sport rather than just Pliot.
Old 08-09-2003, 02:50 AM
Almost a Member!

the issue is A/S

Just this month I had the same issue. Discount Tires put the A/S's on. The car started pulling. I had the alignment done by the dealer. No change. Then I had two new front tires put on. Still pulling. Went back to the dealer. The floor manager came out, looked at the tires and said "these are A/S". They took the wheels out of a used car and put them on mine. We tested. No pulling what-so-ever. They put the wheels side by side. The A/S model stands about 3/4" higher.

I went back to Discount Tires. They called Michelin. The rep from Michelin authorized the replacement in less then a minute, saying "some of the Mercedes newer models do have trouble with A/S's."

Moral of the story: do not use A/S's.
Old 08-09-2003, 08:25 AM

Funny, when I first picked up my E55 with contis I had a slight pull to the right and a slight wheel shimmy at approx. 50 to 80 mph. Now, with a little over 700 miles on the car its gone. Strange.
Old 08-09-2003, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
Re: the issue is A/S

Originally posted by c32aus
Just this month I had the same issue. Discount Tires put the A/S's on. The car started pulling. I had the alignment done by the dealer. No change. Then I had two new front tires put on. Still pulling. Went back to the dealer. The floor manager came out, looked at the tires and said "these are A/S". They took the wheels out of a used car and put them on mine. We tested. No pulling what-so-ever. They put the wheels side by side. The A/S model stands about 3/4" higher.

I went back to Discount Tires. They called Michelin. The rep from Michelin authorized the replacement in less then a minute, saying "some of the Mercedes newer models do have trouble with A/S's."

Moral of the story: do not use A/S's.
What did they replace them with?

I have to decide by Monday if I am going with the Pilot Sports A/S on or not.

If I put on them on .. Is it impossible to correct the problem? Is STKLAW stuck with pulling to the right with no correction?
Old 08-09-2003, 04:17 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 232 Likes on 168 Posts
Picked up my 04 CLK 500 yesterday, it came with Pirelli's, the car had a vibration @ 75-80 mph. Asked the dealer to switch tires from another CLK 500 that had Pilot Sports...problem gone

I did however have Pirelli's on my 03 500 and they were fine.

BTW, Glauser Mercedes in Sarasota FL made my entire experience THE most pleasurable I've ever had buying a new car, my salesman David Wachs (ranked in the top ten of new MB sales in the US) was so very instrumental in getting me the discount I wanted and making sure my car and delivery was perfect, he even called the Ritz Carlton and made my reservation for us while we stayed in Sarasota and got us a very nice discount on the room as a VIP Glauser client!
Old 08-10-2003, 12:43 AM
Almost a Member!

put regular pilot sports

the pulling just went away.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
Anyone have any definitive resolution to this problem? I just put on the Pilot Sport A/S's (right before the snow we just had), and what was a minor invonvenience of pulling to the right is now much more severe. Does the camber kit fix it?
Old 01-29-2004, 02:22 PM

E500
Indirectly. The camber kit will allow the dealer to adjust the camber in order to correct the pulling or drifting to the right.

Contrary to what is implied in all the previous posts, barring a defect, tires do not cause cars to pull in any direction on their own. Only misalignment will. Some tires will accentuate the misalignment more than others which is probably what you're experiencing. Performance tires with good handling and turn in characteristics such as Michin Pilot Sports or Continental Contact Sports 2 will tend to accentuate a misalignment. They also tend to follow longitudianal grooves in the road. Touring tires such as Continental Conti Touring"s handling response and turn in is not as sharp as the other tires mentioned and they will make this misalignment less apparent.

Because of E classe's alignment settings, the car will readily follow any changes in the road surface from perfect horizontal. Most roads are slightly angled to the right for water runoff.

Your dealer should be able to align your car perfectly. Mine did and it could not be any closeer to perfectly straight.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pulling to Right/New Wheels