E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Positive purchase experience

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
Positive purchase experience

With all the complaints for various reasons I have read regarding dealers, thought I would briefly share a good one about the Autohaus on Edens (north of Chicago). They never tried to sell us a car off the lot or through the locator service that had options we didn't want and quickly volunteered to change an allocated car to exactly what we did want. The haggling, although spirited between the salesman (Conrado Santos) and my wife(!), was very professional. We agreed to a price about $4,000 below list and there was no charge for the pewter/ash combination. Conrado also proactively called several times with progress updates.

When we picked up the car yesterday, it was exactly as ordered at the price we agreed to. There were no surprises. Although offered some aftermarket options, there was absolutely no hard sell to add them to the bill. The car looked flawless - even got a bow on top. A bit silly, but my wife had mentioned in passing that the car was sort of a 20th wedding anniversary gift to ourselves. Agatha spent an hour going through all the features and patiently answering all our questions.

This is our first experience with both MB and this dealer; we were very pleased. If the service department and the car itself measure up to these standards, we will be a totally satisfied customer.

PS - My wife is already checking out the CL's!
Old 08-06-2003, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
Re: Positive purchase experience

Originally posted by rdtjr
With all the complaints for various reasons I have read regarding dealers, thought I would briefly share a good one about the Autohaus on Edens (north of Chicago). They never tried to sell us a car off the lot or through the locator service that had options we didn't want and quickly volunteered to change an allocated car to exactly what we did want. The haggling, although spirited between the salesman (Conrado Santos) and my wife(!), was very professional. We agreed to a price about $4,000 below list and there was no charge for the pewter/ash combination. Conrado also proactively called several times with progress updates.

When we picked up the car yesterday, it was exactly as ordered at the price we agreed to. There were no surprises. Although offered some aftermarket options, there was absolutely no hard sell to add them to the bill. The car looked flawless - even got a bow on top. A bit silly, but my wife had mentioned in passing that the car was sort of a 20th wedding anniversary gift to ourselves. Agatha spent an hour going through all the features and patiently answering all our questions.

This is our first experience with both MB and this dealer; we were very pleased. If the service department and the car itself measure up to these standards, we will be a totally satisfied customer.

PS - My wife is already checking out the CL's!
hey, congrats on your car. its good to hear good positive dealer comments. believe me, you'll love the car and the CL
Old 08-06-2003, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
Good to see some positive posts on dealer experience for the balance needed. Most posts are detailing a bad or unusual experience with a dealer. We tend not to post that everything went well when we go in for service or take delivery of a car. This is very normal, but tends to skew the perception that MB dealers are evil, not to trusted, incompetent, and to be avoided if possible.:p In some cases, all of the above seem to be true. I think, however, that these guys are the exceptions as I have not had a bad experience with a Mercedes Benz dealer (yet).

Maybe I should post some of my excellent experiences with dealers.

I bought my E500 from Sutherlin Motors in Spokane, about 300 miles from Seattle. At the time, the dealers in the Seattle area were not interested in anything but full MSRP on the W211.
I received the best of treatment at all times thru delivery and now with the replacement E500 which is due in this week.

I have had my car serviced at Barrier Motors in Belevue since I picked it up in November. The fact that the car was not purchased thru them has made no difference. Their attitude is that "MB pays for the warranty regardless of where I bought it. The service department wants to earn all the business they can get". I get a C230/240 everytime I go in as a free loaner car. The service department has been outstanding as far as my experience goes.

On a long cross country trip, my air conditioner went out due to a rock that somehow knocked a small hole in the condensor (just behind the grill). I called ahead to the Kansas City, Kansas MB Dealer (Aristocrat Motors) and they preordered the condensor for me. They treated me very, very well on my arrival. The part was an extra day arriving due to Fed Express problem. They gave me a C230 loaner car for the 2 days I stayed in the area. Outstanding service to a passing thru, non-return type customer.

All in All......I have no reason to complain about any of the dealers I have been in contact with. I know there are some really bad apples in the bunch from some of the things we have seen posted here. MB should make some effort to get those guys in line.

Just an attempt to balance the experience posts. We do want to hear about the bad crap but maybe we should post some of the good things about some of the dealers once in a while.

Last edited by etenn; 08-06-2003 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-06-2003, 01:26 PM

2003 E500
bmms8:

Thank you! I would post a picture, but the car is strictly stock so nothing anyone hasn't seen already. No 20" wheels or exotic body moldings - not that there is anything wrong with that! But the pewter/ash/wood steering wheel combination is very sharp-looking on the E500 if I say so myself and one I have only seen once in Chicago.

etenn:

You are absolutely right about people always finding time to b*tch and moan but never any to compliment. This is a personal crusade for my wife and I. We always take the time to write or phone a boss or supervisor. I am going to write the President/CEO of MBUSA if I can find his/her address. Also the dealership owner. You would be amazed at the goodwill (a side benefit) one can generate when dealing with the same people in the future. Win/win for everybody and it only takes a little time and a couple of stamps. End of sermon.

Last edited by rdtjr; 08-06-2003 at 01:29 PM.
Old 08-06-2003, 02:34 PM

2007 E350 Sport Package
Okay so here's my commercial..........

Same deal here, i'm a first time owner of an MB.

Got it from Beverly Hills Mercedes Benz and just like their ads say. You don't pay anymore for buying in Beverly Hills you just get more. Deal was as excellent (actually had another dealer tell me no way they could match and I should stick with Beverly Hills !) Service department is top notch (always have a capuccino or a latte on them from the vendor in the service bay). ALWAYS get an MB E class loaner and if heaven forbid they only have a C class, it comes with profuse apologies! They were very communicative during the NAV replacement debacle and went out of their way to let me make an option change (no cost of course). And communication was at every level from Ted Mason and Mark Barsoomian (Sales Managers) to my salesperson Dave Pulliam.

Last but not least they offer, for free, two great full day classes. One on how the car works and the other a Defensive driver course. The latter is an all day hand on driving course for you AND your sposue where they teach you how to dirve your car to the limits defensivelly. Haven't taken it yet but it suppsoed ot be very cool and very fun! (Course costs about $650 per person if you do it on your own)

This compared to Auto-Stigler in Encino who barely gave me the time of day when I first popped in and were very efficient in taking my name and number, but NEVER bothered to follow up. Definetly got the sense that they didn't think I was serious. Too bad for them. They lost a sale and a potential long term customer.
Old 08-06-2003, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
i bought mine from mercedes-bcenz of escondido. to me, the satisfaction that our family recieved was realy good. we had a couple of problems, but they would fix it asap, and always gave us a E320 loaner, or another car of our choice. we had a problem with our alarm, one morning it just went off, and after MB called us, we turned it off, but a humming noise stayed on, and was very loud. first our dealer sent us two cars, and a tow truck, one car was for my dad to go to work, the other was to pick up the guy who drove the loaner. we got only about 300 off msrp, but dealer gave us 2 free hats, and 3 key chains, my mom was out ofthe country at the time, and our salesmangave her a $50 key chain when she came back. like stated before, they give us free starbucks when we go. if anyone is interested in a new E, i would direct them to escondido.
Old 08-06-2003, 04:57 PM

2007 E63, 2007 BMW 335i Coupe & 1991 Honda Accord
My wife and I have made two purchases from Penske Motor Cars in West Covina, CA in as many years. They really place a strong emphasis on customer service and it shows. My wife and I met with Lenny Sarmiento and there was no haggling whatsoever. Lenny showed us the deal we had through Costco, we liked it, and the deal was on. The car arrived as ordered, he showed me the invoice price and factored in the deal we agreed to. All my expectations were met. There were no hidden amounts or pressure sales on any aftermarket items. We will pick up the car as soon as my wife gets back from her trip. Penske has always treated us well, not to mention the refreshments, made-to-order breakfast, massages, nail care, shoe-shine, and other regularly scheduled pampering activities.
Old 08-06-2003, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally posted by Nanky
My wife and I have made two purchases from Penske Motor Cars in West Covina, CA in as many years. They really place a strong emphasis on customer service and it shows. My wife and I met with Lenny Sarmiento and there was no haggling whatsoever. Lenny showed us the deal we had through Costco, we liked it, and the deal was on. The car arrived as ordered, he showed me the invoice price and factored in the deal we agreed to. All my expectations were met. There were no hidden amounts or pressure sales on any aftermarket items. We will pick up the car as soon as my wife gets back from her trip. Penske has always treated us well, not to mention the refreshments, made-to-order breakfast, massages, nail care, shoe-shine, and other regularly scheduled pampering activities.
wow, that is a real good experience, i wish my dealer gave me free breakfast
Old 08-06-2003, 07:36 PM

sl and M-class E320 4Matic SLK350
Even though I was out of state, the people at Autohaus treated me well when I stopped by to see what they had in stock and to ask questions about the upcoming models. I believe it may actually have been Santos whom I spoke to and he took the time to show me everything I wanted to know and see about the new E.
Old 08-07-2003, 07:14 AM
Almost a Member!

Another positive experience -

In June, I bought a 2003 CLK 320 from Wagner Motors in Central Mass. I had test driven it and loved it. But, after about 200 miles driven and about a week after I brought it home, I decided I would prefer the W211 (which I had also test driven). The CLK was titled and registered in my name already.

Anyway, I called the salesman and complained of buyers remorse. He asked me to come in and would see what we could do.

He gave me back exactly what I paid for it (luckily no lease or loan on it) and gave me the E320 that I had seen and test driven, for $1000 over invoice and an extended warranty included.

I had been to several dealers in the area and found that prices on W211's in this area are not as low as those in Southern CA for example.

Maybe I could have gotten it $500 cheaper if I had bought the W211 up front , but I'm happy with the price and the fact that I did not have to keep the CLK.

Only thing bothering me is that the HK radio has gone out - twice, but that is probably not the dealers fault (maybe the second time is, but who knows ?)