E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Member with Wood Steering Wheel please help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550, GL450
Member with Wood Steering Wheel please help!

Hi,

My Navi replacement car is due to pick-up soon, I have added only one option when my replacement car is ordered, that is the wood and leather steering wheel. After my car order is processed, my salesperson told me that the wood/leather steering wheel is a dealer install option, and not available directly from the factory.

Well that is okay to me at first, I thought, as they promised me to add this option at dealer cost. I have checked the carsdirect.com and edmunds.com sites and they showed that the wood wheel option is MSRP at $500, and invoice at four hunderd something.

Now, my car has arrived at the dealer and almost ready for pickup, now they said the dealer cost for the wood wheel option is about $682 with installation charge on it. They said it would cost $800 +- if it is the regular price.

Can members with this option tell me how much did you paid for this? Am I being charged right? Is it true that the factory cannot install it when the car is in production? Should I pay an installation charge on it? Thanks a million!

Dlau
E500
Old 08-11-2003, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
Many of the wood wheels were put on at the Vehicle Processing Depot (is that the right name?) when they came off the ship.

Mine was put on by the dealer. They quoted me $500. installed and then thru it in when it was delivered.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
Originally posted by etenn
Many of the wood wheels were put on at the Vehicle Processing Depot (is that the right name?) when they came off the ship.

Mine was put on by the dealer. They quoted me $500. installed and then thru it in when it was delivered.
etenn, can you take some pics if you dont mind? we were thikning about this option..thanks, i believe you were reffering to the VPC, no clue what it means
Old 08-11-2003, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
Originally posted by bmms8
etenn, can you take some pics if you dont mind? we were thikning about this option..thanks, i believe you were reffering to the VPC, no clue what it means
Bmms, I don't have a picture of the wood wheel. You remember all the threads we had months ago about the wood wheel.

I still think it is the finishing touch on the car and maybe the best feature of the interior. Most of the other posts in the past agree with me.

VPC > Vehicle Processing Center (I had said Depot)
Old 08-12-2003, 12:02 AM
jhb

2003 SL Launch Edition, 2003 E500 Pewter/Stone
The wood wheel can be installed either at the factory or at VPC as I saw them coming in with it installed prior to arrival at the dealer. I ordered it with, it came without because last September they ran out. The dealer gave it to me as a dealer install for the "launch promotion" price of $500. I think "retail" is about $800.

Jeff
Old 08-12-2003, 12:28 AM

2003 E500 SPORT
I also added mine in the Birdseye maple to the NAV replacement car. Th dealer charged me cost at around the $ 500. mark.I would deal on the installation and if the dealer balks make a call to the Regional office in your area and talk to the Area Mgr.
Remember, the dealer gets graded by you and makes another bonus from MB if he scores all excellent grades on the questionaire. Remind him of this point.

One remark I can make on the wood wheel......not only is it a nice touch but for long term driving it is more hefty to the hand.

Make sure that the wheel once installed sits straight in the car using the wheels as your point otherwise you will have wrist fatigue.

Derek.
Old 08-12-2003, 05:54 AM

'14 SL550
I have had the wood wheel on both my first car and my NAV replacement. Both times the wheel was installed at the factory but I know that it can be added later. It does look great although the full leather version would probably be the more functional choice.
Old 08-12-2003, 01:13 PM

2003 MB E500
I ordered my replacement car with the wood wheel as a factory option and paid $500. When i ordered my first E500 last year the wood wheel was not available due to a supply issue. After i took delivery, I wanted the dealer to install a wood wheel. The best price I could get was around $700 installed. I'm glad I didn't do it then since I got one on my replacement for $200 less.

What your dealer told you was wrong. You should have been able to oder your car with the wood wheel at the factoru price of $500.

BTW, IMO MB should make the wood wheels standard.
Old 08-12-2003, 02:03 PM

2007 E350 Sport Package
My wood wheel was installed by the dealer.
Looks great, by the way.

Deal was delete the 6 CD Changer (MSRP around $450) and add the wood wheel (MSRP around $800).
Thanks to a great delaership there was no cash from me to make this happen.
Old 08-12-2003, 02:16 PM
mco

ML430, E500
The cost for the wheel is still $500, I believe. Also, it takes 10 minutes to put it on, so any labor cost is negligible. As usual, your dealer is trying to turn a profit instead of satisfying a customer.
Old 08-12-2003, 05:31 PM
Almost a Member!

Dlau,

Your dealer is lying to you. I added my wood wheel as a factory option (i believe it was factory installed b/c I had asked for it to be ordered on my replacement and it was printed on the sticker of the replacement car) for only $500. Etenn, I agree with you the wood wheel adds so much to the interior and the new navi almost makes the inside extravagant. Atlanta E500, my wood wheel is actually slightly offcentered. This is going to give me wrist fatigue?
Old 08-12-2003, 05:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W212 E350 AMG E63 Pack.
Here
Attached Thumbnails Member with Wood Steering Wheel please help!-w211-wood-wheel.jpg  
Old 08-12-2003, 06:53 PM

2003 E500 SPORT
i SUGGEST THAT THE DEALER NEEDS TO STRAIGHTEN THE WHEEL OUT AND DO A 4 WHEEL ALIGNMENT. I HAD THIS ON A BMW AND IT DID HURT MY WRIST FOR SURE.

DEREK.
Old 08-12-2003, 08:17 PM
Almost a Member!

Sounds like your dealer screwed up and forgot to include the wood/leather steering wheel as part of the order, and are trying to get out of it by charging you for their mistake. My understanding is that the 6 disc changer can also be added by the dealership, but at a significanlty increased cost above the $400 factory option. I would say that the same thing happened here: through the factory (or after it arrived on the boat) the cost was $500, because someone from the factory did the installation and the dealer did not have to incur and installation fees. Now that the car has arrived at the dealership, without the wood wheel, the dealer has to order to part (and over charge you for it) and then charge you an installation fee.

Take the advice of the other board members, and ask to speak with your dealership's general manager. If that doesn't work, call the regional rep. As they say, "The squeaky wheel gets the grease"

Keep us posted.
Old 08-12-2003, 08:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
February '03 - wood steering wheel was installed by the dealer for $465.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:58 PM

S550, GL450
Thanks for all your responses!

Hi,

Great suggestion! Thanks to all!

Dlau