E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

W211 4-Matic Differential Setup

Old 01-24-2013, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
W211 4-Matic Differential Setup

Learning as much as I can about the W211, I was curious what the differential setup was like on this car. From what I have read, the E350/550 rear-wheel drive models have an open differential in the back and the E63 has a limited-slip rear differential (P30 package only). Is this correct?

How does this work on the 4-Matic? From reading on the MBUSA website they stated 4-Matic systems have a "limited-slip center differential [that] provides balanced power between the front and rear axles." So I assume that talks about the front/rear power distribution that is essentially an electronic diff, not left/right wheel interaction. How is this whole system setup? I assume mechanically they are 3 open diffs regulated electronically?

Forgive my ignorance on this, haven't been able to find much on it. Thanks

Last edited by AMGAffalterbach; 01-24-2013 at 10:15 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
front and rear diffs are open. then you have a transfer case with a mechanical driveshaft.

My understanding is that 4matic splits power 45 front, 55 rear under standard driving conditions. If adverse conditions present themselves, it can go between 30/70 split to 70/30 split. Furthermore, if the wheel speed sensors notice a wheel spinning, it will apply brakes to that wheel which then routes the power to the other wheels.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Okay that's what I thought, and my understanding was that the transfer case can act as a sort of electronic center differential. That was my understanding too that it is 45:55, however I haven't heard of the 30:70 ratio before but seems logical...
Old 02-06-2013, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
Another thing I have read about the W211's 4-matic generation is that one wheel, front or rear, can get as much as 70% of the power if the other 3 wheels loose traction.

The new 4-matic with the 7-speed don't have a transfer case anymore. I love my 4-matic!!

Steve
Old 02-06-2013, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E320
Hey Steve, glad to see you back for the past few months.

During a year and a half (5/11-11/12), I thought you left us for good.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
I've heard that too Steve, stated as "almost all of the power can go to one wheel." If it doesn't have a transfer case, what does that mean for its power distribution etc?
Old 02-07-2013, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
Originally Posted by starbrite
Hey Steve, glad to see you back for the past few months.

During a year and a half (5/11-11/12), I thought you left us for good.

Thanks! I am not gone at all. I just spend enough time using computers that I tend to AVOID using them on my free time. One of these days I will pull the trigger on buying an S-class 4-matic diesel. But I wont do that until I pay off my house, just a few years left! :-) I will keep my E class though, she has been a great car so far!

Steve
Old 02-07-2013, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
S-Class is a world-class car. Very nice, and congratz on the mortgage hahaha! Good position to be in.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AMGAffalterbach
I've heard that too Steve, stated as "almost all of the power can go to one wheel." If it doesn't have a transfer case, what does that mean for its power distribution etc?
I drove from Colorado to the area around Redding, CA this December. I decided that my 8-year-old Blizzaks with 25,000 miles on them still could do the job even though I am at the snow tread-wear indicator (not the regular TWI).

The whole 3000+ mile trip was in a white-out storm! In spite of my Blizzaks being at the end of their useful life, I drove right on past cars that skidded off the road. Once in CA, I was the only car that made it up to 3,000 feet on a treacherous mountain road. No one could believe that a Mercedes was outperforming a Toyota Land Cruiser (that had bad tires!).

The main reason that the 4-Matic is so good on the Benz is that it has open differentials. The true 4X4 trucks and SUVs don't allow for wheel slippage when turning and tend to skid, especially on the uphill turns! So my 8-year-old Benz with old snow tires only turned on the traction control on two of the 6 steep turns and just hopped up the road and over 4 inches of wet snow! I was shuttling people up the hill!

The open differentials allow superb turning traction and IF one wheel looses traction, the SBC puts on the brake just enough to keep the wheel turning at the speed it is supped to. So there is almost NO drama when the traction control does turn on. I always think that the comments I get are funny, because a regular luxury sedan makes it to places when 4X4s can't! The 4X4s would be fine if they had better tires, but most people think all-season tires are fine, which they are NOT.

I have pulled out a Ford Explorer and a couple of Subaru's from snow banks in the past. I old Audi Quattro and my Carrera 4 are NOT anywhere as good as the Benz. My Benz is so good that my friends have purchased a C300 4-Matic and a new Diesel ML350. Both with the 7-speed and with the newest 4-Matic technology. I don't know how Mercedes eliminated the transfer case (I don't know if the ML has no transfer case, but I do know the C-class and the new E-class don't have one anymore), but I doubt that the new 4-matic is worse in any way than the one on the W211, they probably improved on it, if at all possible.

I only have 80K miles on my E. I finally decided to put new rear pads on it (I changed them myself). The front brakes are still at 50%! I also just changed the water pump, it had dripped a few drops and the bearing had some play in it. It was amazingly easy to change the water pump too! I must have lucked out, my W211 has been a great car for the past 8+ years I have had it. My batteries are still the original ones too! If they make it to 10 years, I think that I will change them regardless of them testing OK. I have never had car batteries last this long!

Steve
Old 02-10-2013, 11:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Impressive! Lots of good info Steve thanks for the detailed response, definitely gives me confidence in my 4-Matic. The one think I learned (especially on all-seasons) is be conservative with the throttle during snow and you won't even trip ESP, if you do and keep pushing it - bad things can happen especially on ice, but that's true of any car. Overall though I think it does very well in Colorado snow .
Old 02-11-2013, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AMGAffalterbach
Impressive! Lots of good info Steve thanks for the detailed response, definitely gives me confidence in my 4-Matic. The one think I learned (especially on all-seasons) is be conservative with the throttle during snow and you won't even trip ESP, if you do and keep pushing it - bad things can happen especially on ice, but that's true of any car. Overall though I think it does very well in Colorado snow .
You are welcome! It is quite typical to drive the 4-Matic normally with all seasons in a winter storm and never see the yellow triangle flash (which means that the traction control, ABS or ESP did not trip). This is quite amazing to me. But, you should go and test your car and see how it does react when the system does turn on. It is incredibly composed and uneventful when it does.

I have a place up in Vail that is after a few sharp uphill turns/switchbacks. It is a blast to just give the car throttle and see how well the system throttles back the gas and controls wheel slippage while still making the turn :-). My old Audi S6 is a bit more dramatic on the curves, but still makes it up just fine.

Steve
Old 02-11-2013, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
My main issue this winter which lead me into the curb incident was black ice at the bottom of a hill that had collected on the slope of the left turn lane. Then nothing works, but unless I REALLY push the throttle and force it to break grip, in normal snow or normally slick conditions it isn't eventful at all and very rarely flashes the ESP lamp. Definitely can concur there.

And Vail is probably my favorite place in the mountains, Lionshead reminds me of a small European ski village and is just an amazingly beautiful place. That's awesome you have a place there!

Last edited by AMGAffalterbach; 02-11-2013 at 10:10 PM.